Good amp for the HD800S? Little dot MK6+?
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently researching on what amp would be nice for my newly acquired HD800S. I've been hearing that it sounds great with tubes, I stumbled upon the Little Dot MK6+ and MK8 series. Is it any good? If not are there any amps out there you guys would recommend for the HD800S? I was thinking of getting the A90, but I might go tube. The dac I would probably get a simple Schiit Modius... Thanks in advance for any help.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 26
Make sure your listening environment will be an non-humid environment with air conditioning and no kids/teenagers playing around it, especially with tube amps.

In regards to the Schiit Modius: it will be fine for many genres. However, with jazz ensembles, classical orchestras, and other “crowded” genres, it is best to go with the Schiit Bifrost 2. As the simultaneous instrument numbers increase and/or get “fatter” (have more complex acoustic cavities, like a trumbone), instrument separation and imaging start to require more power and quicker processing, especially with tubes, which already add color to the sound.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 26
Tube amps are known to give the HD800(S) a more “full” sound with added dynamics, but at the expense of a slightly smaller soundstage, and that expense obviously makes the soundstage even smaller with jazz music and jazz ensembles. That is why the Bifrost would be more suitable for this amp, as the multibit processing will add more detail, clarity, and imaging to an already colored tube sound, not to mention improved instrument separation.

Of course, tubes get very hot (do not touch the tubes when it is on) and other components follow suit, so no humidity is a requirement to prevent tube system breakdown and failure and air conditioning is very beneficial to the tube system and listener.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 26
Oh yeah, turn down all volume knobs before shutting down everything to ensure a fresh start with every new listening session and always be careful with the volume knobs to ensure that the drivers do not blow out from excess power.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 26
Well, the HD800S has one of the largest soundstages that headphones can offer, but that is because of all the dynamic acoustics that the earcup mesh, fabric, and drivers offer. A tube amp provides that warmer and “fuller” sound with the tubes, which does very slightly narrow the soundstage. It really depends on the recording, but as more instruments play simultaneously, the sound becomes more “crowded” and the soundstage becomes smaller and that sense of space lessens. I think the huge soundstage is what give the HD800S the advantage over other headphones, but it is still very important to note how recordings will interact with the tubes and HD800S.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 26
With a solid state amp, you can more predictivly EQ the headphone to also tame it and make it feel fuller.

As long as you lower the pregain enough for the bass not to distort and some extra. A dedicated amp should still be able to get loud no matter how low you set the pregain.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 26
You could just get an AIO XLR DAC/Amp, like a Audio GD D-28, and use that for now. Later on, if there are albums that could use that extra warmth on top of the added warmth that the HD800S has over the HD800 and you have the extra money, then get the Little Dot MK6+.

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 26
You could just get an AIO XLR DAC/Amp, like a Audio GD D-28, and use that for now. Later on, if there are albums that could use that extra warmth on top of the added warmth that the HD800S has over the HD800 and you have the extra money, then get the Little Dot MK6+.

Do you mean I will be using the Audio GD D-28 as a DAC only then will be using the Dot MK6+ as an amp?

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 26
I own the HD800S and I absolutely love them with my Bottlehead crack which has been optimized for large sound stage and clarity with my tube choices and capacitor upgrades. At first, I paired it with a Schitt Modi Multibit DAC. This was originally to drive my HD650 and HD600s which is did fabulously. I then purchased a Hugo 2 originally to drive my IEMs, but I decided to set it up in desktop mode and pair it with my BHC and it worked wonders. I was going to upgrade my Mimby to a Bimby, but with the Hugo 2, I don't need to do it anymore. The BHC really warmed up the sound signature significantly without sacrificing much sound stage. The sound is glorious. Huge sound stage, great clarity, decent resolution and detail retrieval. It is my ideal sound signature for classical music and jazz. The only issue is that the BHC doesn't have TOTL resolution, so I need to upgrade my Amp to have a really great orchestral music system. I just purchased a HIBY R6 2020 so that I can play with EQ to tame the treble on HD800S so I can use the Hugo 2 amp which has much greater resolution and detail retrieval. It's just too bright on its on without EQ or filters.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 26
Make sure your listening environment will be an non-humid environment with air conditioning and no kids/teenagers playing around it, especially with tube amps.

In regards to the Schiit Modius: it will be fine for many genres. However, with jazz ensembles, classical orchestras, and other “crowded” genres, it is best to go with the Schiit Bifrost 2. As the simultaneous instrument numbers increase and/or get “fatter” (have more complex acoustic cavities, like a trumbone), instrument separation and imaging start to require more power and quicker processing, especially with tubes, which already add color to the sound.

how about the schiit valhalla 2 and bifrost 2 will that be a good combination for the HD800S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back