Good amp for Sennheiser HD650
May 20, 2008 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

oscotto

New Head-Fier
Dear fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I've owned this beautiful Sennheiser HD 650, and have tried it on two different amps with mixed results. I guess what I am looking for is a warmer sound with well defined bass... but not overly so, and highs that produce good results. I have tried the Corda Headfive and the Headroom Micro amp... both did well. I have the Microamp at work with my Sennheiser PX100... that is a great little setup with great results. The Corda did a good job, but not nearly as well as my roommate's AKG 701's... they sounded really good on the Headfive unit. So I am looking for some advice as in what amp would best suit me. I am kinda new in this headphone world, so I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks much!
Scott

May 20, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 27
The Darkvoice 332 might be for you if you're interesting in trying a tube amp.

May 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 27
DV336i is dark and bassey...perhaps alittle too dark and bassey...however you might enjoy it.

I enjoyed it for over a year, the DV336i i mean....great amp, very powerful and there are TONS of great tubes.

If you want something in SS, check out Heed Canamps.

Im really enjoying the Millett Hybrid i recently got. It really brought out the detail on the 650. Its not as bassey though, i think its a good try off since the 650s are bassey to begin with.

May 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 27
The obvious question is: how much are you willing to spend? I will give you feedback tomorrow on how balanced 650s scale, but the feedback here has been good. The HR Desktop Balanced is a beast, for your information.

May 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 27
omg balanced desktop /drooooool

Will be my next upgrade for sure....

May 20, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 27
The balanced desktop seems really good... but, $1397.00 with the DAC seems steep. I could swing it but rather not. Highlife, the Darkvoice has been on my watch list, I was reading a bit about it, but I wouldn't even know where to start with tubes. Also how long to tubes last? I would imagine they would require a warm up and warm down sequence of some sort.

Thanks again guys, you rock!

May 20, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 27
Tubes warm up and cool down really quick, I do cycles of 8hours listening, which should be enough
smily_headphones1.gif
, and tubes last really long.

May 20, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 27
I used Channel Island Audio VHP-2 when I had HD650.

This amp is pretty transparent with tight but not overly emphasis bass, but if you really like K701, why not sell your HD650 and get K701 instead??

May 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by oscotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The balanced desktop seems really good... but, $1397.00 with the DAC seems steep. I could swing it but rather not. Highlife, the Darkvoice has been on my watch list, I was reading a bit about it, but I wouldn't even know where to start with tubes. Also how long to tubes last? I would imagine they would require a warm up and warm down sequence of some sort.

Thanks again guys, you rock!

It is expensive, and the urge to upgrade is always there, but it is a great amp.

I really enjoy the K701, and it is the headphone with the most clarity I have ever heard.

May 20, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by oscotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so if I do less (say 1-2hrs) than 8hrs is that not good on the tubes? Thanks guys!

No 8hrs. is like max, but there is no minimum.

May 20, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 27
Another vote for the Darkvoice 332. My preference is with Svetlana 6S19P-V and Western Electric 403b tubes. Tight, deep bass and lush sound throughout. I can listen for hours.

For reference: I had the HeadFive and tried it briefly with the HD-650. I did not like the pairing.

In addition, I also like my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite with the HD-650 with certain types of music (better with faster digital instrumentation and music that doesn't need as much bass slam). However I typically reach for the DV first and more.

May 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 27
The Woo Audio WA6 is a great match for the HD650's. I just got mine 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Also, the build quality is second to none. I've been breaking it in 12 hours a day with no heat issues at all. It runs warm at best. Unlike the Little Dot 2++ which ran extremely hot after a couple of hours.

Good luck with whatever you choose
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 27
I never liked the Headfive with the HD650's either, it just sounded bloated to me.

Check out the Headamp GS-1. Very neutral and detailed, but not harsh; delivers great dynamic slam and bass control. Plus, it will work well with whatever cans you decide to get down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back