Good amp for multiple headphones
Nov 30, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

utarch00

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good amp that will work for all types of headphones. Something that has adjustibility. I am looking at the micro amp. I was just wondering if there are any others to consider. My budget is roughly $300.

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 12
I want something that I can use for low impedance and high impedance headphones. I do not want to have to roll opamps.

i am new to this and I want to only have to buy one multipurpose amp to use with several different headphones. Currently I am considering Senns 595, Beyer 990, and some sort of Grado or Allesandro.

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, most of the popular amps discussed on these forums, can drive all those cans, well enough. The SR-71, from Ray Samuels Audio, is an excelent all around amp, and is portable. I have a Micro amp w/Desktop Module, and it is a very fine amp, and I never need to change the gain from the medium setting. The Xin Supermacro, is another good choice. Any of those, and you can't go wrong!
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 12
I like the gilmore Lite at this price point. The amp does as you ask and sounds good with many different headphones. Plus the Lite has the advantages of an upgradeable power supply for the future and a very nice loop out feature. I especially like this amp with the senn 600/650 and the grado sr-225.
smily_headphones1.gif

www.headamp.com

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 12
from what ive read (not heard), the Gilmore Lite seems to do very well with both Grados and Senns, which have very different needs.

It seems to match your budget (especially used) and has no opamps to role. and like SACD_lover said, you can always upgrade it later.

yay!

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12
you want to also use identical headphones or you can end up with some very strange frequency response abberations.I am personally not a fan of using a sinlge headphone amp for multiple cans unless there is a volume control for each and would go straight to a distribution amp but that means big and not tiny amp.
Consider making a sinle interface box with two feeds and individual volume pots for each output feed

I have no once come across any two people who listen exactly alike and with a single volume control only the Alpha will be totally happy and the second banana wishing they were in control
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
you want to also use identical headphones or you can end up with some very strange frequency response abberations.I am personally not a fan of using a sinlge headphone amp for multiple cans unless there is a volume control for each and would go straight to a distribution amp but that means big and not tiny amp.
Consider making a sinle interface box with two feeds and individual volume pots for each output feed

I have no once come across any two people who listen exactly alike and with a single volume control only the Alpha will be totally happy and the second banana wishing they were in control
icon10.gif

I understand what you mean, but I think the OP wants an amp in which he will be the sole user
biggrin.gif
alpha male only!

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I understand what you mean, but I think the OP wants an amp in which he will be the sole user alpha male only!

as it should be

"MINE Dammit ! Step away or be beat about the head until you fall to the ground ! WOOF !"

.....but he did ask about havng two outputs so unless for some whack job two headphone surround setup (Hey ! lookit me ! Aint i cool ?
icon10.gif
) says another person jacking into his world and everyone wants control even if over just a simple volume pot.Gotta take your power where you can find it
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Yes. Teerawit is correct. I want one amp for muliple headphones.

My bad.

Your best bet is to look for a headphone amp with a high/low gain switch.There is no truly universal headphone amp and you can only try to minimize the limitations for universal use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back