Good Amp for ATH-AD700
Dec 21, 2006 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blackjaw

New Head-Fier
I just wanted to know if anyone knows what would be a good amp to pair up with a recently purchased set of Audio-Technica AD700 phones? Mostly used for computer gaming, but also music listening. The styles I mainly listen to while working are classical, metal, indie, acoustic, bluegrass, and punk. I am temporarily borrowing a battery powered Cmoy that was made in Austrailia.

Here are the choices:

Xtra X1

PA2V2

Little Dot Micro+

Go-Vibe V5

DC powered is what I will mainly use, not concerned with portabililty or battery life. I understand that DC power may add a slight hiss to the LDM+. Does this happen in any of the other amps that I have chosen?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 7
My budget is anything below $100. Closer to $75 would be better. That is why I posted the 4 choices above.

No, I do not live in Australia. My friend bought the cmoy off ebay from some builder in Australia.

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 7
These headphones are 32ohm... do you really need an amp for these? This is a serious question, because I was thinking about whether I need one for the ATH-AD700's. I'm thinking that an amp wouldn't change much (if anything)?

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I am pretty sure it will improve the experience, maybe not drastically. I mean, people use amps for the SR60s, and they have the same impedance. I think better bass response is the main reason I would want to use an amp with these phones. Not a basshead, but I do like a bit of ooomph. So, any thoughts to what doofus has asked?

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 7
My advice: Dont bother. Even the AD2000 did only improve minimal with my HA5000 and highend sources i owned before. If you want more oopmh upgrade to the AD2000. Every AD can below that is just light on bass.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 7
DOOFUS...you'r thinking is right on the money., BIZKID...you know your stuff.
BLACKJAW...Biz Kid knows these AD lines" that been said i just bought the creek OBH-21 used i got a great price on it. however my ATH-AD 700 still don't have the bass i was looking for. soooo here i am beating the crap out of me' for not spending more time researching the forums. if i did i would have seen this want more oomph upgrade to AD2000. Every AD can below that is just light on bass.
so just love your AD700 WO' the AMP until your ready to upgrade. Bizkit & Doofus if i had seen your posts i would have had second thoughts,. but i will keep my amp
anyway .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back