good amp for AH-D2000
Aug 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

niCe99

Head-Fier
i decided im gonna keep my D2000 for a long time; therefore, i want the BEST amp for it.

Recommend me whatever there is out there...the very best. Keep it under $1000 however
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

i will be running it outta my computer (Prelude) purely for music.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 24
The new Solo SRG seems, from other people as I don't have the D2000, to work very well with the Denons. It has a tight bass which would definately help tame the Denons bass.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 24
Aug 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 24
I had my eye on the NX03 as well as the ef1

also another one i was looking at is the audio-gd C-2C

and to the person who said you dont need a super expensive amp to fully bring out the d2000, i understand that...i simply put that price up so that there would be no hold back in terms of recommending amps. i simply want to see my options and decide from there.

So far, the ef1 looks like the best buy. affordable and seems to be very popular on these forums.

any more thoughts?

thanks

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Head-direct EF1 and Gilmore Lite are very good bets. I don't think you need a $1000 amp for the Denon, unless you're planning on acquiring other headphones down the road...

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 24
[size=xx-small]*puts flame-retardant suit on*[/size]

I've spent about 4 hours with my D7000's and my Little Dot MKIVse.

Yes, I've read all about how OTL tube amps are unsuitable for low impedance headphones. I was prepared to sell the LD to get an amp that is more to the Denons liking. I think the LD is staying.

With only four hours or so, the Denons sound fantastic and the LD does not run any warmer than it does with my Sennheisers.

Another thing I noticed, is that I prefer to listen at lower volumes with the Denon. I hear everything and in better balance at lower listening levels. I've been extremely happy with my MKIVse, and I don't see any reason to switch now. But with the Houston meet coming up in October, I may plug my Denons into something that I like much more. I kind of hope I don't
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 24
there is also another newer amp out of israel under the name J labs. I know skylab has on on order to check out. looks like it would drive low imp cans pretty well. still in your budget as well.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATE

i decided to go with the Head-Direct EF1

My question is...which do i buy? the 110v or the 220v?

is there a real difference? they are both the same price. I am leaning towards the 220v

Head-Direct.com | YUIN

thanks

If you live in the US or Canada it's 110v, Europe 220, etc.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 24
I've been asking the same question on the board but haven't got to a conclusion. In my mind, I have the following provisional ranking (not rooted in experience). I'd also comment that I'm looking for something that would also work with AKG701 to replace a Heed CanAmp from time-to-time, and for future 'phones.

1. SPL Auditor (requires XLR input but not a show-stopper, might be a bit warm?)
2. Rudistor NX03 (I've seen a couple of negative comments but overwhelmingly good)
3. Graham Slee Solo SRG w/PSU1
4. Darkvoice 3322 (shouldn't work but apparently does)
5. Meier Corda Cantante, MF X-Can V8, etc...
6. EF-1, Caiman, C2C, etc...

I still haven't quite decided between the top three. Hoping to do so soon though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back