good amp for AH-D2000
Aug 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #16 of 24
Thanks

EF1...here i come
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 24
the akg and denon are two completely separate beasts with different needs. from my listening, the 701 is one of the hardest to find a good fit for. I would do A LOT of reading in the forums at this point. you will answer lots of your own questions on amping the 701. I still say go ef1 for the denon. look into skylabs review of the audiotailor jade as well. that may fit your bill. two amps in one. I have not tried that combo however. keep us up to date with your impressions on the ef1/denon

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 24
another question...i read some reviews and it says that you (me) may need a DAC along with this amp. Using this purely for computer/music

so my setup would be

COMPUTER (Prelude) --> EF1 --> AH-D2000

Should there be a problem if there is no DAC?

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 24
A DAC is just the digital to analog conversion. Your sound card is serving that purpose. So you don't *need* an additional DAC.

The comments you saw may have been in relation to comparisons with amps that include a built-in DAC (for example something like the HiFiMan EF2). In those cases the reviewer may have just been pointing out that you'd need a DAC along with the EF1 to get the same feature set.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is...which do i buy? the 110v or the 220v?

is there a real difference? they are both the same price. I am leaning towards the 220v

Lol
beerchug.gif
It has more, it should be better
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the laugh.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm not familiar with the Prelude, but if it has analog outputs for the left and right front channels those can go right into the amp. The digital to analog conversion will be done by your soundcard (the Prelude).

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the Prelude, but if it has analog outputs for the left and right front channels those can go right into the amp. The digital to analog conversion will be done by your soundcard (the Prelude).

Actually thats another question of mine. I tried placing the RCA plugs into the prelude but it didnt work.

is there a way to make it work?

RCA plug as in the red and black/white plugs. I plug 1 end of the input of the amp and the other end into the black and red jacks in the prelude. No sound. Can it work?

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the akg and denon are two completely separate beasts with different needs. from my listening, the 701 is one of the hardest to find a good fit for. I would do A LOT of reading in the forums at this point. you will answer lots of your own questions on amping the 701. I still say go ef1 for the denon. look into skylabs review of the audiotailor jade as well. that may fit your bill. two amps in one. I have not tried that combo however. keep us up to date with your impressions on the ef1/denon

I completely agree re: the 701. That's why I've paired it with the Heed Canamp... What I need is something that sounds great with the Denons but will not sound terrible with the AKG701s if I need it.

I hear what you're saying about the EF-I but I'd rather solid state than tubes and, I'm not sure about the OP, but I'm based in the EU so it's easier to buy a European amp for me.

So, it appears to be Rudistor NX03 versus Graham Slee Solo SRG versus SPL Auditor. I just can't find a direct comparison or advice on their relative merits and relative synergy with the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back