Good Amp at around 100$ or less. Must be PC and Mobile Device Compatible.
Aug 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Silent Xaxal

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings! I am currently planning to buy an AKG K712 Pro when I go to the US next year (At least, if the current Amazon price stays the same).

I have heard that it needs an amp to get the best sound out of it, so I'm currently scouting for a good amp at around the 100 dollar price range. I'm willing to go up to 120, but I do want to be clear that the amp in question should at least be able to work with a PC and mobile devices (IE, the Sony Xperia Z2 and the PS Vita as my personal case examples).

I've seen a number of FiiOs fit that description well. So, can anyone give me some clear recommends?

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 12
If you are not going to buy the amp until next year, then you are jumping the gun asking for help now. New models and price changes could easily change what is recommended to you by then. :)

In the meantime, you could read these two shootouts and use them as a basis for your own research
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

Then search in this forum to find out about those and other models:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 12

Good Amp at around 100$ or less. Must be PC and Mobile Device Compatible.

Ibasso D-Zero sells for $99+shipping, works with PCs (I use it with my laptop) as well as Androids with USB audio via USB OTG (I use this as a transportable set-up around the house).

Although of course by next year something else might come up.

I've seen a number of FiiOs fit that description well. 

Actually, not really. The Fiio E07 fits in the price range, but AFAIK it has problems with being used as a DAC for mobile devices. The Fiio E18 was designed as a DAC for Androids, although given the wide variety of Android versions with minute revisions per device manufacturer as well as carriers (ex. T-Mobile Galaxy Note has no USB audio, but the Verizon version does), it would be best to check first if your particular device is compatible.

Greetings! I am currently planning to buy an AKG K712 Pro when I go to the US next year (At least, if the current Amazon price stays the same).

I have heard that it needs an amp to get the best sound out of it, so I'm currently scouting for a good amp at around the 100 dollar price range.

Just a few notes on what you're about to pair up:

1) These AKGs need gobs of clean, high current power. Unless its impedance doesn't swing as much as the K701/2 (it doesn't really swing that much but if you're starting at 52ohms, that can be a handful for many amps) I'd doubt you can find a good enough amp (let along one with a DAC) for $100 for use with that headphone. With my own desktop amp, the Meier Corda Cantate.2, the x7xx cans wake up enough to be comaprable to the dynamics and bass impact of the HD600; however, put both on a Burson Soloist, and the HD600 doesn't sound by better, but the K701/Q701 really woke up it was like Dynaudios on powerful amps, with dynamics better than even a Grado on a good amp, and yet has a better soundstage image (a bit more out of the head, vocals clearly more forward in the center than guitars at the sides, etc) that these AKGs have over other headphones. What stopped me from upgrading? I didn't have $1500 for the Burson Conductor (which has a DAC, unlike the Soloist), and I didn't have the K701 anyway.

At a minimum I'd use the O2+ODAC, but aside from being outside your price range (and I personally don't like the layout of the sockets on these), people generally don't like how the O2 is too flat in response, as well as likely due to a smaller power supply it delivers less power and current than bigger amps, more noticeable on a headphone like the AKG K7xx than, say, on a Sennheiser HD580/600/650.

2) Reviews regardign the E9/E09K. I only remember two reviews that said they liked it with the Fiio desktop amps. What's telling about those two reviews was that one of them only had his Discman to compare the E9 to, while the other was comparing it to the more transparent O2 amplifier.

3) Fiio X3 driving the Q701 Quincy Jones. At a minimum, the cheapest DAC-HPamp (well, it's actually a portable player, but if hooked up via USB can function as such) that I liked with the Q701 was the Fiio X3; by sheer guessing, that should extend to the E17.

However, note two things about this. First, this is the Q version, and some noted that this one has a bit stronger bass response than the K version, likely due to the Q emblem partially blocking the rear of the driver, essentially making it less "open." it might not be as "flat," strictly speaking, but for some people that helps enough to make music enjoyable (and besides, it's the headphone's response, not the amp or DAC adding bass instead of a neutral, clean, powerful enough signal more useful for hearing what each headphone is really like). Second, if you get the X3 instead of a DAC-Amp, you get a portable player too, whose only disadvantage vs strapping a DAC-amp to a mobile device like a smartphone is that you'd hear calls coming in with the latter.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 12
If you are not going to buy the amp until next year, then you are jumping the gun asking for help now. New models and price changes could easily change what is recommended to you by then.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the meantime, you could read these two shootouts and use them as a basis for your own research
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

Then search in this forum to find out about those and other models:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps

Not jumping the gun, actually. The idea is to buy both at the same time, which is why I'm asking now.

That being said, I'm willing to up my budget further (120-160) on amps, but only if absolutely necessary for what I plan to buy.

Thanks anyway for the feedback.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 12
  That being said, I'm willing to up my budget further (120-160) on amps, but only if absolutely necessary for what I plan to buy.

I'd say you might want to look into other headphones too, those that will require a lot less juice than those AKGs, or save up a bit more for the amp to really hear what the AKG K7xx can do. At a minimum I'd go with the Meier Corda Jazz, but that's around $400 (also, it will be coming from the EU, so shipping might take a while). I mean, if you'll spend $350 on the headphone, $200 minimum on an amp isn't too bad (research well though, price is just a rough indicator!).

I got a Meier amp as well, but I got my Cantate.2 used from Australia. We have a number of problems with our Customs agents here, plus I was leaving for the US in about two weeks after I wired the cash, so I had it sent to my brother's house in California. It got there a week before I did with no hassles; shipping from the EU should take around the same time but better to plan ahead that it might take around ten to fourteen days to get to your address. I couldn't be happier for the money I spent on this amp, even with the extra $30 I had to pay for shipping to the US.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Duly noted. We kind of have a similar customs issue here in the Philippines, hence why I've decided to wait a year before purchasing my first bit of audiophile grade stuff.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 12
  Duly noted. We kind of have a similar customs issue here in the Philippines, hence why I've decided to wait a year before purchasing my first bit of audiophile grade stuff.

Jeez man, check my posts! Look at my location 
tongue_smile.gif

There are ways around being hassled by Customs agents who stretch grey areas in the law to line their own pockets (or their quotas, at least); but since you're going there anyway, what the heck. Oh, where exactly are you? Egghead in Robinson's Galleria Ortigas has a lot of stuff you can try, and maybe buy there as well. Many of the products don't come with local distributors' ignorance (or arrogance?) of Amazon prices and are sold at competitive prices (ie they won't be that much more expensive than buying online+shipping+VAT+duties+credit card exchange rate fluctuations; heck, in some cases they might be cheaper). 

Don't you just love densely populated Asian cities vs US suburbia?

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 12

Jeez man, check my posts! Look at my location 
tongue_smile.gif

There are ways around being hassled by Customs agents who stretch grey areas in the law to line their own pockets (or their quotas, at least); but since you're going there anyway, what the heck. Oh, where exactly are you? Egghead in Robinson's Galleria Ortigas has a lot of stuff you can try, and maybe buy there as well. Many of the products don't come with local distributors' ignorance (or arrogance?) of Amazon prices and are sold at competitive prices (ie they won't be that much more expensive than buying online+shipping+VAT+duties+credit card exchange rate fluctuations; heck, in some cases they might be cheaper). 

Don't you just love densely populated Asian cities vs US suburbia?

Oh gosh, that looks amazing. Sadly, I'm in Cebu right now.
tongue_smile.gif
Though I might be flying in at christmas. So I'll give it a go. :D

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 12

Oh gosh, that looks amazing. Sadly, I'm in Cebu right now.
tongue_smile.gif
Though I might be flying in at christmas. So I'll give it a go. :D

It's in Robinson's Galleria in Ortigas, at one end of the computer area tucked under an escalator. What time around Christmas? Because we have a headphone party every year just before the holidays.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527920/kenjam-2010-meet-impressions-manila-philippines-december-11-2010

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Don't know yet. When is it this year?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #12 of 12
  Don't know yet. When is it this year?

No set date yet, but it's always before Christmas, usually the first or second weekend as the last weekend before Christmas is just horrible around Metro Manila with everyone shopping and going to parties. Oh, we contribute to the food budget though, so it's usually set by the third week of November.

Join the FB group Headphiles, updates will be posted there. We used to have an internet forum - I dunno exactly how and why the previous moderator didn't update the payment for hosting (nor attempt to raise funds) but in any case there's the FB group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back