good amp and LOD for Ipod touch 4g 32g+AKG 271 mkII??
Oct 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

syaknikwa

Head-Fier
Hi everyone!! ^_^.. I'm newb to this community and I would like to ask suggestions/ recommendation of an amp that i can use with my itouch 4g + akg mkII.. i considered buying the AKG 271mkII because of the good reviews that i read in here and in amazon and alot of people say that it requires an amp to drive these cans the way they should be. any recommendation or suggestions of an amp maybe portable one... my price range is anything below $200 and also an good LOD.. Thank You!!!

Amps that i am considering to buy:
Meier Corda Headsix.. (I saw one thread selling it for $85 shipped)
Headroom Total BitHead.. (can't find anyone who is still selling.. all i can see is SOLD!! lol)

but i am open to any suggestions and recommendation..

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Wow 50 views with no reply ...... Am i in a wrong thread or wrong communty???? /...

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Just an update..... My budget will be @ 300 and thats my max and what p amp and lod would fit in my budget... im leaning towards the headstage arrow 12 he 2g annd the quables perf SE LOD... Are this ok,,,,,?????????

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 10
See

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519864/portable-amp-for-my-akg-k271mkii-headphones

Simply put, if you are after closed phones for a portable application, try something else. Irrespective of what reviews on Amazon say IMO K271 Mkii's are not a portable phone. They are great in a desktop situation where you want to keep both internal and external sound  to a minimum (ie what you can hear of the world and what the world can hear of your music) and you can drive them from a desktop amp. In the outside world, they are just flat out impractical being both too cumbersome and too hard to drive.

If you want portable phones have a look at the mass portable phone review to give you some guidelines.

Sometimes the reason no-one responds to a thread is because the combination asked for comment on is considered not even thinkable....

regards,

Giles

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for replying from this post sir... ^_^ But the problem is i already bought the HP... and i think that my 30 day return policy had expired already... T_T... So what shud i do?? Is there anything beside a desktop amp.... How about the Headstage Arrow 12 HE 2g?? can it drive my HP... im not realy into that high level of hearing.... for me the sound of the akgs out from the box was good enough... And after few hours of burn in i even like the sound even more.... but i just want a little bit more of this HP... coz i think the SQ decreases as i lower the volume and the base was kinda weak..

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 10
I haven't heard the Head Stage Arrow so I can't really in all honesty advise as to its suitability, what I can reiterate is that I use a comparable portable amp the TTVJ Portable Slim and I wouldn't use it with the K271s unless you put a gun to my head. Buying a portable amp for the K271s risks being bad money after good. Say you buy the amp and it fails to solve your problem in that case you've just spent unneccessary money.

The sound issues you are hearing are both a consequence of not having enough current to drive the phones and the sound signature of the phones. The K271s are not bass monsters, they have a tight articulate bass, but not a "hard-hitting" one -ie quality not quantity.

The problems you are encountering are is why you really have to listen to a number of different headphones with your music before you buy. You may find you're a Grado person, or a Sennheiser, Audio-Technica or AKG person. Each (within broad parameters) has its own house sound which may or may not suit your type of music to your expected level of enjoyment. By all means buy off Amazon but listen to the phones in the flesh before you buy...

All this is just my opinion, you may find that an amp solves your problems and makes you happy. Again however find someone in your area who has an amp and is happy to let you try the AKGs with it. Try before you buy.

regards,

Giles

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Thx for your reply sir... how about the headroom micro amp? Any thoughts about it?

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Not sir, just Giles. Re the Micro see my comments in the above thread and the link - this was the 2007 model before they made the Micro (desktop) and the Micro Portable . It was okay for me, but not great. As a portable amp the headroom is on the large size. Again think carefully about the path you're heading down; the Micro Portable is a $400 amp  - which means your budget has blown out by 100% since you first posed the question 2 weeks ago in your first post(which means the phones should still be in the returnable stage).

Use the search funtion and see what others have said about K271/amp synergy, the opinions I express are in the context of my tastes, budget and experience, others may differ and might be more useful for your decision making.

regards,

Giles

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Sorry about that gilies.. Hmmm i can look up here for second hand micro amp... Coz i've seen some post here selling them about 200-300ish... As i said earlier, im not (yet) into high level of listening to music... coz im still in college(1st year ahhah) and doesn't have enough money to buy stuffs.. Maybe when i graduate and make some real money i will be able to buy myself a good set of amps and a nice pair of HP... for now i'm just satisfied with my hp's sq..straight out from the box.. And i think your comment in the thread u posted above... is good enough for me... to look for this amp... Thank you Gilies for your time replying to my post..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back