Good airplane cans?
Aug 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 28
I spend a crap load of hours on really ratty, noisy old planes and I just couldn't live without my IEMs. I also have sensitive ears and was not having the most joy until I switched to comply tips and now all is bliss.
I recently spent 50 hours in 5 days in a dirty, smelly, noisy military C-130 and loved every minute of the tunes.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #18 of 28
From your suggestions, I think there're better airplane cans than the ES7s but the ES7s are so pretty! They're so good looking, they're drawing me in, especially for only $70 (Buydig only does 2nd day air to Hawai'i). If there were a good IEM for around $50-60 I'd maybe take a look but I can't see spending $100 for an IEM.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 28
I second the recommendation for active noise canceling like the Bose QCII. They suck in all conditions *other* than on a plane, where they really shine.

Another option might be a pair of Senn HD280s. They've got some of the best passive noise reduction out there, and I've used them on many a flight with much success. However, especially in an airplane context though they come off as a bit weak when it comes to bass.

I did a head-to-head between the HD280s and the Bose QCII on a transatlantic flight. At low to moderate listening volumes, the HD280s come out sounding a little flat compared to the Bose, which do a better job of damping low frequencies in addition to their inherently boosted bass, creating a fuller sound. The Senns only start to sound better at higher listening volumes, where their clarity over the Bose starts to show.

At home, it's a no contest in favor of the Senns though, the Bose are really quite pathetic in a normal environment. So if you're looking for a single pair you can use both at home and on the plane, I'd recommend the HD280s hands down.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 28
I use ER4Ps when flying for the isolation.
I've seen reviews comparing IEMs for sound quality (lots of folks
like the westone and senheiser and others compared to the ER4Ps)
but I haven't seen comparisons that discuss the sound isolation
and which IEMs are preferable assuming a noisy airplane environment.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thx

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #22 of 28
I've been reasonably satisfied with the cans listed in my signature/portable rig. Served me well on two recent cross-country flights and quite comfortable for hours at a time.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 28
I personally like the hd25, get a pair of used ones (some websites sell em new at low prices but hard to find).
I did Shanghai paris with a kid crying behind me the whole flight, only time I heard him was when the stewardess said "chicken or beef?" for the meal.
The plane could have crashed without me hearing anything.
These headphones with the pleather pads are the best soundblockers I've ever had.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #24 of 28
cat6man the ER4P or the ER4S w/ the tri-flanges are very hard to beat for isolation (over 34 dBs if memory serves me right).

skyline889 I have an used pair of SuperFi 3 Live which I will gladly send your way (CONUS) to try with a bunch of ear tips. If you do not like it ship it back, if you like it pay me $40. Shameless sale pitch.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 28
Wear noise cancelling headphones over your IEMs.

I wore a ATH-NC7 over my Shure SE530 my last trip. This does wonders for the engine roar and transient noise.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally like the hd25, get a pair of used ones (some websites sell em new at low prices but hard to find).
I did Shanghai paris with a kid crying behind me the whole flight, only time I heard him was when the stewardess said "chicken or beef?" for the meal.
The plane could have crashed without me hearing anything.
These headphones with the pleather pads are the best soundblockers I've ever had.

Probably outside your price range, but I second this opinion. You can't hear external noise, the sound quality is better than anything else mentioned in this thread, and the cans are lightweight and robust for travel as well. For those of us who dislike using IEMs it doesn't get better than the HD25s.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 28
I usually break out the IEMs for plane rides, but I sometimes use the Sony MDR-7509HD. Those are outside your price range, but the MDR-V6 fits. I had a pair for many years and was happy with them. They won't block anywhere as much noise as IEMs will, but they're a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back