Good <500$ headphones + dac/amp combo
Apr 30, 2012 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

valistar

New Head-Fier
Hello, I''m currently moving into the world of higher-end audio and I want to start with good amp + dac. I chose
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm - because I got a lot of recommendations for it and it seems pretty unbeatable for it's price. This connected to my desktop PC through digital coaxial cable (should be better than USB).

The thing is that my budget is not that high, so I'm looking for mid-range headphones. First I was considering ATH-M50 but I realized there must be some headphones that will profit from using good dac+amp more than these (they are rated so good because they sound fine not amped)..

What about Fostex T50RP ?

I'm unsure if I should be getting open or closed headphones, they will be used for 100% home usage and some sound leaking out is not a problem. I live in a busy city so some form of isolation from outside is appreciated. But I like when a headphone have a good soundstage... That's one thing I'm not sure I like about those Fostex.

From full-size headphones worth mentioning I used Sennheiser HD280 (for sound mixing) - but I didn't like those a lot. That makes me think I shouldn't be looking at reference, totally flat headphones, the sound should have at least some 'fun' to it. HD280's are closed, isolation is superb but I guess little too much for home usage + I found soundstage very narrow. I like the sound from my IEMs jays-d-jays, it's far from perfect but I feel bass is tight but punchy which sounds pretty good :).

What headphones would you recommend for me? Is that amp good choice in this +-400$ total budget?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 13
$200 is a tough budget. Most of the hp's that I'd suggest would be more than that and the amp that you got is good but most recommendations in the $200 range wouldn't need the nfb 12. Sound stage, quality, good bass and nice sound across the spectrum..

Beyer dt990's-used fourm here for about $180

GL!!

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 13
I don't have that amp yet, you think I shouldn't get it in my situation? I thought it would be a good option for future too...

if budget was 500$ would it change something? What about beyers dt880?

I'm not from US so buying something used from forum is probably not an option...

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Would help if you listed your music preferences + sonic preferences as well.  Do you prefer balanced, bassy, bright, warm and laid-back, analytical,  ...... ?

I also find it exceedingly strange that you are planning a dac/amp first - then trying to match a headphone to it. Most people would do the opposite - decide on a headphone, then try and get a suitable amp ......

Please note that I'm not knocking the NFB-12 either.  I have one and really like it.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 13
For music I like pretty big range of genres - mostly from alternative/progressive rock to electronic (Muse -> Pendulum -> Deadmau5) and some Classical too (I love Clint Mansell f.e.) + sometimes jazz, reggae and hip-hop are in the mix too.

For the sound I think I like balanced sound with good performance around the whole spectrum, with accurate bass and good highs.

OK, so lets do it the other way, lets pick a good headphone first :) ...

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 13
I would start with better hp rather than better amp. Then get a better amp later and see what kind of legs your headphone has!!  

I will change my suggestion:

1. Fiio e17+denon d2k for about $365 would sound fantastic. Good sound stage for a closed phone and the bass is luscious. The d2k is being discontinued but is really good.

2. Beyer dt990/600 (used here)+e17=225+139=$365

The e17 is fantastic for it's price and size. There are several threads about it here that you can check out. It would give you portability. Even if you don't want to leave the house it's nice to be able to listen in a different room with a laptop or ipod. Plus it gives you a "backup amp" when you get ready to get a full sized amp. I've had to fall back on the fiio many times when there where problems with my full sized amp or I sold it off to get something better 
bigsmile_face.gif

Now you could skip the fiio and could right for the nfb12 and still be within budget. Just depends on how you want to handle things.

GL!!

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 13
Wow, Denons AH-D2000 costs like 450$ here in Slovakia, that's ridiculous :frowning2:. They don't have them on UK Amazon either....
Can you link the site they have them for ~225$? I can buy from US too, its more complicated though.

If I won't benefit from E17's portability, soundwise I can get E10 and save some money for HPs right?

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 13
There is a nice upgrade from e10 to e17 but e10 is better bang for the buck. Keep checking amazon uk I have heard they pop on there regularly. The d2k can be had from jr.com with a call in or from electronic expo. I have no problems with you going straight to the nfb if you really don't won't a small portable or backup.

May 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I found nice D2000s for $250 here on forum, is that a good choice for me and a good deal? :)

What dac+amp will be suitable for them?

Remember that it will cost you quite a bit more than 250$. Shipping cost + your 20% VAT + other potential costs at the Slovakia customs can easily push the price on those headphones to 350$. 

Edit: You can get them new for that price here in EU. For example advancedmp3players.co.uk sells it for 185£ = 300$ (not sure if this is the cheapest price. I only did a quick google search).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back