Good 5.1 system under $400
Mar 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
I'm looking for a system that won't break the bank but will better than my 5 year old Samsung system. I've been looking at energy and Polk systems. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. I mainly play video games if that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm basically in the same boat right now - contemplating on a low budget but quality HT system myself, for use with a 32" LED and an i7+HD7850(HDMI1.4) HTPC/gaming microATX rig. Since I'll be playing Total War Shogun 2 (and later this year, Rome 2) on it, and then the occasional high-def LOTR or SW trilogy (or other epic movie, mostly Chinese Three Kingdoms and Japanese Samurai movie) marathons with family or friends in a small room, I'm looking at compact satellites and subwoofer system like the Definitive Tech 60.6 and a receiver with decent (discrete) amplification, compatibility with most current surround formats, like the Onkyo NR414 and Denon AVR1513, either way the combo will be well below $500.

However I'm torn between the two receivers. The Onkyo has a Zone 2 lineout, so I can hook up my Swan active monitors (with 5.5" drivers) if I'm watching a high-def concert, even if I'll have to use PCM mode, so at least I'll have larger midwoofers to integrate better with the sub, just in case the passive radiators on the Def Techs only extend the response lower but it's not tight enough. It's a bit cheaper than the Denon too. However, seems like there are too many people who had the NR414's HDMI input boards dying on them, if they even get the ones that don't need their FW reflashed.

So right now I still haven't decided whether I'd take my chance on the Onkyo just so the Zone 2 output to serve as a back-up for use with larger speakers for live music performances, or if I should just get the Denon with no reliability issues and just suck it up if the Def Techs' sub-sat bass transition isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. Although I'll have a large shelf running along the wall and the HDTV will be on it, so I'm thinking maybe the sub placement on the same shelf as the LCR satellites would get around much of the bass integration issues.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 32
Just keep in mind you can't compare DTs frequency response specs with other speaker companies. Their low end ratings are often not where the speaker/sub rolls off, but beyond that to where they are not producing usable output.

The MLT-2 is definitely a better set over the DT 60.6. More powerful sub; bigger drivers in the speakers.

I would also recommend looking into a factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denon 1612 at accessories4less.com. Better receiver than the models you are looking at. Comes with Audyssey MultEQ, which is worth having since EQs the speakers and the sub. No line out, but then again, better not to mix your Swans with the center channel of the other speaker model because of the different timbre match. Your front sound stage should have exact matching speakers, or the matching center.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 32
Just keep in mind you can't compare DTs frequency response specs with other speaker companies. Their low end ratings are often not where the speaker/sub rolls off, but beyond that to where they are not producing usable output.

The MLT-2 is definitely a better set over the DT 60.6. More powerful sub; bigger drivers in the speakers.

I would also recommend looking into a factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denon 1612 at accessories4less.com. Better receiver than the models you are looking at. Comes with Audyssey MultEQ, which is worth having since EQs the speakers and the sub. No line out, but then again, better not to mix your Swans with the center channel of the other speaker model because of the different timbre match. Your front sound stage should have exact matching speakers, or the matching center.

The larger drivers are what made me want the mlt set. I also took a look at the kef 1005se/2 on newegg and people say they are amazing. Ugh why am I so picky!?

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Interesting info on DefTech's specs; but would the MLT fare that much better? I mean that's just one size larger on the LCR, when I came across both I was thinking the passive radiators should bridge the gap a bit.

As for the sub I'm not too excited about going one size larger on it, considering my 5" monitors now can do movie SFX bass well enough for my ears, I assume an 8" would be enough to rattle my windows. Had an old JBL 6-pack speakers before and my nachos on the table were moving already.

Quote:

I'll consider buying from there, although I'm really more inclined to just get new stuff off Amazon.

Quote:
No line out, but then again, better not to mix your Swans with the center channel of the other speaker model because of the different timbre match. Your front sound stage should have exact matching speakers, or the matching center.

Yeah I know about LCR matching; when I was talking about using them with the line out, I specifically stated that the Onkyo had a "Zone 2 lineout." Unless it I severely misunderstood how that works, I was thinking of using the normal outputs on games and movies, then if I watch a live performance, I switch to Zone 2 so it feeds a line level signal to my monitors in the same room, as opposed to the usual way of sending the same line out signal to the speakers on the back porch while controlling the system with a smartphone (which is what my friend was doing with his system with Zone 2 speaker level outputs, except this was way back when there were no network receivers, smartphones and remote apps; just Sony 50+-disc changers).

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 32
DT is known for basically lying about their specs. For example, the Pro Sub 800 is rated by DT for "20 Hz - 150 Hz." Independent measurements show that sub is -28db down at 25hz from it's peak at 62hz. So I just don't trust anything DT claims about their speakers. Paradigm/Martin Logan, on the other hand, is known to be much more truthful with their specs. So is the DT better? Doubtful. What can you learn from reading their specs? Only that the performance will definitely not exceed what they are listing.

And I didn't realize that the Pro Monito 60 speakers have passive radiators. I know that the 600s don't.

OK. I thought you were talking about using the Zone 2 line out as a speaker A/B option to switch in the other speakers.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
DT is known for basically lying about their specs. For example, the Pro Sub 800 is rated by DT for "20 Hz - 150 Hz." Independent measurements show that sub is -28db down at 25hz from it's peak at 62hz. So I just don't trust anything DT claims about their speakers. Paradigm/Martin Logan, on the other hand, is known to be much more truthful with their specs. So is the DT better? Doubtful. What can you learn from reading their specs? Only that the performance will definitely not exceed what they are listing.

And I didn't realize that the Pro Monito 60 speakers have passive radiators. I know that the 600s don't.

OK. I thought you were talking about using the Zone 2 line out as a speaker A/B option to switch in the other speakers.

Thanks for the heads-up, really appreciate it. Looks like I'll just keep my money and wait around for what I really want, which is to use three Wharfedale 9CS (center) for LCR, which I'm planning to get used. They're cheap over here but I'm even cheaper so I'm waiting for used units; unfortunately I haven't got any responses from three different people of the same color. And of course anyone buying the whole 5.0 or at least 3-piece set from them gets priority on the sale. They're around $100++ or so brand new but used units go for around $60 with no cosmetic or other issues.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 32
Thanks for the heads-up, really appreciate it. Looks like I'll just keep my money and wait around for what I really want, which is to use three Wharfedale 9CS (center) for LCR, which I'm planning to get used. They're cheap over here but I'm even cheaper so I'm waiting for used units; unfortunately I haven't got any responses from three different people of the same color. And of course anyone buying the whole 5.0 or at least 3-piece set from them gets priority on the sale. They're around $100++ or so brand new but used units go for around $60 with no cosmetic or other issues.

That seems like a really good idea. The Wharfedale Diamond 9x and 10x series have both gotten really good reviews from people. I'd go that route, too, for that price :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 32
You mean the KEF KHT1005.2SE? Sorry. I don't know anything about them. But for $199 at Newegg certainly seems like they could be a decent deal. :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #29 of 32
So just an update, went with the mlt2 system and it is absolutely amazing. More than enough sound for my room which is the size of the Magnolia room at best buy. The speakers are larger than you would think, more like a smaller bookshelf speaker than sats. Once I get them broken in more I'll report back.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #30 of 32
That's great. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I've listened to the Energy Take Classics before, and while they perform well for small speakers, it's easy to tell that bigger drivers like in the MLT-2s would be better. But I haven't been able to hear the MLT-2s yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back