Good 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm Male Adapter?
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chomskyan

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I need some help..

I'm looking for a good adapter for a Meze 99 cable.

It has 4.4mm termination, and I need to adapt that to 3.5mm

It will be going into a Dragonfly Cobalt, which I think is unbalanced? Do I need a balanced adapter if the Cobalt is unbalanced?

I've found a couple on Amazon, just not sure if they're good, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Bala...ds=female+4.4mm+adapter&qid=1591567018&sr=8-2

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm looking for a good adapter for a Meze 99 cable.

It has 4.4mm termination, and I need to adapt that to 3.5mm

It will be going into a Dragonfly Cobalt
You need an adapter cable terminated with 4.4mm TRRRS female and 3.5mm TRS male.

Equivalent names for the female side are "Pentaconn" or just "4.4mm". Equivalent names for the male side are "3.5mm single-ended" or "3.5mm SE", "3.5mm unbalanced", or just "3.5mm". You do not want "3.5mm TRRS" or "3.5mm balanced".

The adapter you linked has a 3.5mm balanced plug, so that's not what you want.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 8
You need an adapter cable terminated with 4.4mm TRRRS female and 3.5mm TRS male.

Equivalent names for the female side are "Pentaconn" or just "4.4mm". Equivalent names for the male side are "3.5mm single-ended" or "3.5mm SE", "3.5mm unbalanced", or just "3.5mm". You do not want "3.5mm TRRS" or "3.5mm balanced".

The adapter you linked has a 3.5mm balanced plug, so that's not what you want.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look? I've been searching those combinations and can't find much..

I found this one from another thread, but the shipping is 30+ days, I'm leaving the country in a week so I need something quick.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I've tried searching with fastfwd's terms and still can't find anything.. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for a Pentaconn to 3.5mm SE adapter.

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 8
I've tried searching with fastfwd's terms and still can't find anything.. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for a Pentaconn to 3.5mm SE adapter.
When I searched Amazon for just "4.4mm 3.5mm", this popped up at the top of the list, with a bunch more below it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0828KKVZ8

Note that the cheaper adapters like that one don't use the "official" NDICS Pentaconn jack, but they'll probably work fine. Unfortunately, the genuine Pentaconn jacks are still expensive, so adapters that use them will typically cost over $50. If you want an adapter that uses those genuine NDICS jacks, @Matez at Forza makes them -- I have a couple and they're very nicely built.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 8
If you want an adapter that uses those genuine NDICS jacks, @Matez at Forza makes them -- I have a couple and they're very nicely built.

Affirmative and thank you for mentioning me :)

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back