Good < $100-125 phones? (isolation, sound, portable use, etc)
Jan 27, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by miketriple
for isolation and portable use, you can't beat canalphones. you can get er6is or e3cs for < $150, check pricegrabber.

anyway, i'm also a fan of the v6s. they're cheap but have great sound for the price. with beyer pads and your own headphone cable, you'd be set. you can somewhat easily make your own headphone cable, so it can be straight, and you can add a gold-plated jack, making it the same thing as the mdr-7506.

I've heard some people complain about harshness at around 3 kHz, which would be annoying for me. Is there a non-warranty-voiding mod I could do to curb this?
Also, do the beyer pads A - give better isolation, and B - are they more comfortable for extended periods of use?
The idea of being able to replace the cable appeals to me. I've always hated coiled cords - if I want to coil it- I just wrap it a bunch of turns around my hand then put the "coils" in my pocket or somewhere. But, if I have a precoiled cord and want to stretch it out, it just seems to me that it wouldn't be quite as forgiving. If the cord is supposed to be, say, 5 meters long, I want to be able to go 5,000 millimeters from the audio source sometimes without feeling like I'm stretching the cord out or about to pull it out of its socket.

So... it looks like it's either the V6 or the 280. Not the ety's - I don't want anything in my ear, and I have just lowered my price limit to $100 (plus maybe a little extra for accessories and sales tax)

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #17 of 20
Ok, I went to Guitar Center and tried the MDR-7506 and the HD-280. To me, the 280 edged out ahead, but it still doesn't quite have enough punch below 32 Hz, or enough isolation. Does anyone know anything better in a similar price range, without sacrificing sensitivity or high end frequency response?
If I DO get the Sennheisers, would burning them in help the bass a lot, or would it not be worth my effort? I'd like another 8 to 15dB in the 15 to 30 Hz range or so. Switching the bass boost on with the portable player I was using to audition the headphones (which included concert-grand piano notes at the bottom end of the keyboard) didn't seem to make any difference in the frequencies I was trying to boost.
I understand the earpads are replaceable on the HD280 - would it be possible to get better isolation by putting different pads on?
Also, is there a cord I could get for it that's straight, at least 4 to 5 meters long, and has at least an in-line volume control (and also a graphic equalizer capable of +/- 12dB at 20Hz, 65Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1500Hz, 4000Hz, 7000Hz, and 12500Hz, or similar, would be nice)? Whatever I do, I want the cost of the headphones to be at least 4x the cost of any other mods (assuming I get the headphones for $100)

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #18 of 20
So let's say I buy the HD-280s and burn them in. 1 - how do you do that, and 2 - based on your experiences with them, how much does the sound improve?

Also, what's the price on a portable in-line headphone amp about the size of a flash memory mp3 player that...
runs on standard (AA or AAA) batteries
has a multi-band graphic equalizer at least including something like 20Hz, 60Hz, 200Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 8kHz, and 15kHz
has an in-line volume control (that when the batteries are weak or not installed doesn't add any gain - just functions as an in-line passive volume control.

Also, what straight, at least 4 to 5 meter cord can I get for them? (taking into account that I'd want the in-line amp within a few feet of the headphones)
And what pads do I need to get to get an extra 20dB of isolation? And don't say "forget the sennheisers and get the Ety's" - I hear it's hazardous to your ear's health to take .01 seconds to remove the headphones.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 20
dont get the v6's or the hd-280's.

for the people reccomending the v6's; how can you possibly reccomend these? the highs are SO SO bad... seriously... these are by far the most overrated headphones here. they should cost closer to 25$ for how they sound.

the hd-280s... dont buy them. they dont magically start becoming fuller once they burn in. they will always be light on the bass unless they're amped. they do sound pretty good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back