Good < $100-125 phones? (isolation, sound, portable use, etc)
Jan 24, 2005 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
First, my maximum budget is $100 to $150. (I may be waiting a while (probably a few to several months) to purchase, though. If something happens to the cheapies I currently have now, I might need to spend up to $25 on something in an emergency.)
Many things I will be listening to (in random order) include: computer games, radio listening (AM Stereo - Radio Disney), music (Classical, piano, religious), some rock.
I want a mostly accurate sound stage and frequency response, but I also like hearing the deepest low pedal tones on an organ and concert grand piano (i.e. below 40 Hz). I'd like something that's good at reproducing those low frequencies (especially 15 to 30 Hz).
I will be driving mostly portable equipment (CD players, cassette players, mp3 players, etc.) Keep in mind that I have NO intention of purchasing an amp!!! I don't want to carry that with me, and if I DO need to, it needs to be very (physically) small and fit within my total budget. I want them to be driven very easily.
That said, there will be some sources I will plug them into that have relatively powerful amps built in (at least one of which, due to excessively loose volume control, I have taped to a fixed position), so I will want an inline analog volume control.
I want closed circum-aural headphones. I don't want to have to crank the volume up very high to have a comfortable signal to noise ratio (with the "noise" in this case being defined as my surrounding sounds, and the "signal" being what I'm listening to) when mowing the lawn, riding public transit (buses, trolleys, trains, sometimes planes), etc, so I want good isolation.
I also want the headphones to be durable. (I'll link a video later to show what kind of treatment they might often get, but the site's down right now.)
I would also like to be able to replace the cord when/if necessary, and when/if I choose to. I do want a fairly long cord (at least 15 to 20 feet or so) - I might be also plugging it into a stereo system and running throughout the room (I'd like to be able to go throughout the yard and local school and neighborhood with it, but I'm not up to the cost of a wireless system.)
I don't know if I left anything out, but does anyone have any suggestions? I had previously considered the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, and had heard a Bose Triport in a store and (at the time) thought I liked it (it WAS way better than what I've been used to (my first "real" cans were the Sony MDR-CD360)) but I have read reviews on the net which seem to state a much worse opinion.

Jan 24, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 20
I'll see if I can give a V6 a try at Fry's today when I go. As for the 280, I also know of a local dealer that stocks them, but due to other commitments I won't be able to go there.

I think I remember trying the V6 and thinking I didn't quite like something about the sound, or the fit, or the lack of isolation, but I can't remember. I'll have to try them again.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 20
I got my V6 from frys 3-4 years ago for $75.

Beware they have very pronounced midrange resonances at ~3200Hz. Can be harsh sounding IMHO. EQ adjustments help IMHO. Trumpets are brutal to my ears without EQ.

Garrett

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 20
I went to Fry's today and looked at the V6. Right away I saw that it had a coiled cord. I cannot stand a coiled cord in a headphone. I prefer a straight one. Also, it's only 3 meters long (although I might be able to make do with that... nahh.. probably not). Now, if it's possible that I could remove the cord and put a straight one in, I might still consider it. Also, the driver is only 40mm. It does say the bass goes down to 5 Hz, but would it sound as good as a similarly-priced headphone with a 50mm driver?
Also thanks for the heads-up on the midrange being a little too pronounced. This might also be a concern for me. I will not be using any EQ on these phones when they're plugged into portable devices.
If I remember correctly (as of several months ago - I'll have to call again and check), Guitar Center in my local area had some Sennheiser HD-280's. I might check those out sometime.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 20
I should have also mentioned the K240s (55 ohm version), and while youre at GC you might want to LOOK at DT770s, If you want bass look no further than a DT770. You can get them used on ebay for around $100. They need amp help though when used with a portable. Some fellas on the forum were able to get them for $150 new at GC. I wouldnt consider either of these portable at all though.

IMHO a used DT770 ($100) and a cmoy ($60) would be a great value.

Another option thats well under the $150 range is an amped portapro. Even though they dont need an amp, they easily can contend with full sized cans in the $100 range when amped.

IMHO you can forget about the freq response specs when researching headphones. I have yet to see one thats actually correct.

Garrett

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Have a look here. Might help you out. 280s have low bass but it's not very strong, highs are a bit sharp.

Based on that, looks like the 280 is better for me. As for the "not strong enough" bass, I do have bass boost capable on my portable units, but unfortunately I think they boost more of the 50 to 100 Hz range, not so much of the 15 to 30 Hz range that I prefer.

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 20
How about some canalphones ER-6i, E3c, UM-1's ??
Funny I seem to be recommending these whenever someone ask about $100 phones... Well I cant tell you about Grados etc., another cool looking phones (not so good isolation/sound) are the Audio-Technica's EW9s , maybe 'cos I've always wanted a pair also
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 20
for isolation and portable use, you can't beat canalphones. you can get er6is or e3cs for < $150, check pricegrabber.

anyway, i'm also a fan of the v6s. they're cheap but have great sound for the price. with beyer pads and your own headphone cable, you'd be set. you can somewhat easily make your own headphone cable, so it can be straight, and you can add a gold-plated jack, making it the same thing as the mdr-7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back