Good 1/8" mini to RCA Cable
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

intricate28

Head-Fier
Looking for something to hook my iTouch running lossless into a GLite. Budget if possible but don't want to purchase something that is going to kill the sound (temporary till I get my DAC in about a month). Thanks!

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 16
You need a iPod line out to RCA interconnect. In this way, you bypass the amp on the iPod.

You could get one off Amazon like this one.

Or if you want ones of higher quality, you could get one from Audiophile Products. I got one of those and it worked just fine. There's also the ALO Audio offerings which are stratospheric and smell of snakeoil compared to the cheaper offerings.

There's a nice range for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a iPod line out to RCA interconnect. In this way, you bypass the amp on the iPod.

Or if you want ones of higher quality, you could get one from Audiophile Products. I got one of those and it worked just fine. There's also the ALO Audio offerings which are stratospheric and smell of snakeoil compared to the cheaper offerings.

There's a nice range for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even better!
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 16
How much bigger is the proprietary end of the cable vs. the ones that connect to pc's for syncing? I ask because I have a otterbox case around my iTouch and the Apple one barely (bout 1mm all around) clears it. Don't want to have to remove my case daily to listen to it when I come home. Thanks!

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to emphasize that the Amazon one is, as aimlink points out, of low quality. I have it, and just bought the SendStation PocketDock to replace it (not here yet). The advantage of the latter for you is that it has both the dock option, and comes with a separate mini to RCA cable.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by intricate28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much bigger is the proprietary end of the cable vs. the ones that connect to pc's for syncing? I ask because I have a otterbox case around my iTouch and the Apple one barely (bout 1mm all around) clears it. Don't want to have to remove my case daily to listen to it when I come home. Thanks!

The iPod connector isn't bigger than the proprietary. In fact, it may even be slightly smaller. My iPod is also in a case but I've grown to hate cases. You shouldn't be limited by their presence the way some of them do.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to emphasize that the Amazon one is, as aimlink points out, of low quality. I have it, and just bought the SendStation PocketDock to replace it (not here yet). The advantage of the latter for you is that it has both the dock option, and comes with a separate mini to RCA cable.

But the disadvantage with the Sendstation is that it doesn't have a retaining clip (like many do) and can easily pop out and mess things up.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 16
I wish I didn't have to use a case but because of where and what I do with with my iTouch it's a neccessity. The Audiophile option sounds good if the proprietary end is smaller than the one thats provided from Apple as it will fit with the case on. Thank you for all the information!

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by intricate28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I didn't have to use a case but because of where and what I do with with my iTouch it's a neccessity. The Audiophile option sounds good if the proprietary end is smaller than the one thats provided from Apple as it will fit with the case on. Thank you for all the information!

Please note that I don't know your case and can only speak of my own interconnect. I have no idea what you'll be getting. It's $70 you'll be spending, so please be careful! My disclaimer!!!

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 16
Just get a good quality one. Dont fall for snake oil uber-expensive cables that are cryo-treated and insulated using braided fibers from Elvis Presleys hair and blessed by monks in Tibet during the equinox while drinking magic tea.

Just an insulated solid-looking cable is all you need.

That $70 greenish one on that Audiophile Products page looks decent.

Maybe someone can DIY one from Canare or Mogami Starquad cable or something for $50? I woudnt spend too much more though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a good quality one. Dont fall for snake oil uber-expensive cables that are cryo-treated and insulated using braided fibers from Elvis Presleys hair and blessed by monks in Tibet during the equinox while drinking magic tea.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Well said!!

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 16
I would suggest a PocketDock and a decent cable like this one from Blue Jeans Cable

This way you have dock for your ipod, and a 3.5mm->RCA cable for future flexibility.

PocketDock is $30 on Amazon and 1' of mini-RCA is $23... a very good combo for $53 IMO

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest a PocketDock and a decent cable like this one from Blue Jeans Cable

This way you have dock for your ipod, and a 3.5mm->RCA cable for future flexibility.

PocketDock is $30 on Amazon and 1' of mini-RCA is $23... a very good combo for $53 IMO

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back