Good “All Rounder” IEM for $300
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 35
Two recommendations from me, both under your budget (around $200) and both what I'm using right now.

The first will be the Anthem Five E2, possibly the cheapest custom IEM in the market right now. I'll admit that the sound signature is not my favorite (probably in the lower half out of all of my IEMs) but it's my go-to for travelling because it's a custom and it blocks out noise really well, great for planes! I suspect the E4 with its flat signature will be better for me, but at least the E2 doesn't sound terrible, it just sounds quite run of the mill.

The second is my current favorite IEMs, and it's the Drop+JVC FDX1. I've been a huge fan of JVC earphones for a long while, but the woody series was abit too woody for me, while the FD01 didn't blow me away when I tried it (think it was abit too shouty for me). Took a chance on the FDX1 and it paid off, it is much better than the FD01 and cheaper.

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 35
The second is my current favorite IEMs, and it's the Drop+JVC FDX1. I've been a huge fan of JVC earphones for a long while, but the woody series was abit too woody for me, while the FD01 didn't blow me away when I tried it (think it was abit too shouty for me). Took a chance on the FDX1 and it paid off, it is much better than the FD01 and cheaper.
The FDX1 should be a good match sith the OP's expectations.
I have the similar FD02 (modded) and it has been my favorite for a long time, until I moved up to considerably more expensive units. Smooth sound, good yet controlled bass, lively, great with vocals and the shimmery rather than sparkly treble make them a very engaging choice. Very fluid and enjoyable.
The limitations are that you are giving up some resolution and detail for that fluid presentation, and in very busy tracks the limitations of the separation capabilities show. But it is excellent value and at $200 I don't know better.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 35
I have had all except the ie300 and the dusk, I liked the b2 technicalities but there some serious issues with blessing 2 , the first being coherency it is bad you can clearly tell the ba and the dynamic driver its so obvious, everything from midbass up is thin a little dry and sterile but good transparency and detail. In addition its a big iem so if you have small ears then its a no go and last but not least is the timbre its ba timbre so more plasticky artificial and not as realistic in my personal opinion. I kept the starfield better timbre, less treble as well but it also has less overall details and clarity comapred to the b2 but the coherency and timbre were something I was not willing to give up and at the 1/3 the price it was a no brainer to keep as a daily driver for me

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #24 of 35
For the sub-$300 level, I really like either the Tanchjim Oxygen, or NS Audio NS5 MkII ex. bass (even though it's noted as extra bass, it's not overblown by any means - sounds just right). Of the two, I think I actually prefer the NS5 at the lower price. It's got a touch more treble sparkle.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #25 of 35
Carbo Mezzo (~$50) gets my vote on this one. It's definitely worth a look. Don't be deceived by products prices. Expensive doesn't always sound good

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #26 of 35
I have same headphone favorite of HD650, and have Moondrop Nameless(Buds), Shiroyuki(Buds), Sparks(TWS), Starfield, KXXS, Aria, Blessing2, Blessing 2 Dusk, and incoming Blessing-EST (Variations), Softears RSV from the same company of which,
For paring with iphone directly, I actually would recommend Moondrop Aria 2021 ($80). Or Moondrop Blessing 2 ($320) or Dusk ($330) will be good choice too, for HD650 lover Blessing 2 OG may fit better.

If a good dap is in use, Mangird Tea($299- now on sale for $266) does a good job for rock /alternative sources too.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #28 of 35
Hard to believe the Mangird Tea wasn't mentioned until just now. Not sure why.... it is one of the best available in $300 range. Plenty of sub-bass, fantastic mids, and phenomenal soundstage.
The upper mids / treble on the Tea were... Stabby, for me.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 35
Hard to believe the Mangird Tea wasn't mentioned until just now. Not sure why.... it is one of the best available in $300 range. Plenty of sub-bass, fantastic mids, and phenomenal soundstage.
I mentioned in my last paragraph✌️ It needs proper DAP, so that might not suitable for paring with iphone. 
Also, Tea's soundstage is actually subpar, with stock cable, even with some better cables it's just an average one. Tea has great mid to upper mid range layering backed by quad-Sonion midrange driver, that layering might be the one you referred as sound stage though. Diffusion field of Tea is on narrower side.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #30 of 35
The upper mids / treble on the Tea were... Stabby, for me.
Tea is very sensitive to cable / ear tips. If you used stock cable, I can understand your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back