3. #5 wood - 19 graphite Cleveland DualRail QuadPro
  4. 23 graphite Perfect Club
  5. 4 through Gap wedge - Ping i/3 steel
  6. 56 & 60 wedges - Adams Faldo steel
  7. Putter (the money stick
    icon10.gif
    ) - Odyssey 2-ball 35" steel
  8. Ball - Wilson Smart-Core
Finally put together a set of clubs that fit me and haven't found anything to change in last three years.

Bogey golf is my friend.
biggrin.gif
Grew up thirty years ago on the munis at Rockford, IL. Play now mostly at two munis by the house in MN. Played FL and AZ course on vacation. Spaniels' Spring Vacation stops are St. Germain GC and Eagle River GC in NE Wisconsin. Spaniels' Fall Vacation stop is the Bemidji Town & Country GC in NW Minnesota. Nicest course I've ever played is Deacon's Ridge outside of Pequot Lakes, MN. Northwoods golf rules!

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #32 of 56
Went out to the range for the first time yesterday, and couldn't get enough, so I went again today. It's been a long winter and I'm itching for golf. Old Pa,
nice to see another lefty on here...any others?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 454
Woods: 3 and 5 Big Bertha
Irons: 3-9 Nike NDS steel
Wedges: NDS PW and Callaway SW
Putter: Some old Ping I have never felt the need to swap out...

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #33 of 56
Well I have paid for two rounds of golf so far this year...and have not actually set foot on a course myself
frown.gif
...Son #1 is trying out for the JV team this year so is getting his practice in. I love to see him out there, but it's bugging the cr*p out of me as it's not ME out there. However did manage to move my clubs from their winter storage in the basement upstairs as far as the garage, so they could see the light of day again. Next step - the back of the car!!!
I have a Tommy Armour knock-off set 1-SW, with 3 putters (none of which work) and an experimental Izzo driver (good buddy used to work for them).

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #34 of 56
Spent yesterday afternoon watching the practice round at the Shell Houston Open. It always amazes me to see how smooth and easy a really good swing is...

Driver- Cleveland Comp
TaylorMade Rescue 3 TP
TaylorMade Rescue 5
5-PW- Ping G2's
56 - Ping M/B
60 - Ping M/B
Cameron Red-X center shaft

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #35 of 56
Diamond Tour

Same club, same shaft, same wrap - 1/3 the price or less. For example Ping G5 or their version Z5 is $145 for 3-PW v. $749 for the Pings.

I have bought 3 sets of irons and countless woods from them and everything is top quality, no difference in playability and CS is excellent.

You can buy a set of irons on their specials for what some charge to regrip. I bought a set of Z irons two years ago on special 3-PW for $83.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #36 of 56
glad i live in northern cali, where i can mostly play all-year round!
smily_headphones1.gif
better yet, i move to arizona this summer where i can definitely play all year round!

but the Masters is just around the corner...and for many it signals the start of golf season. you guys excited? or is it a foregone conclusion that el Tigre will win yet another green jacket?

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glad i live in northern cali, where i can mostly play all-year round!
smily_headphones1.gif
better yet, i move to arizona this summer where i can definitely play all year round!

but the Masters is just around the corner...and for many it signals the start of golf season. you guys excited? or is it a foregone conclusion that el Tigre will win yet another green jacket?

I hope he wins by the largest margin ever.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diamond Tour

Same club, same shaft, same wrap - 1/3 the price or less. For example Ping G5 or their version Z5 is $145 for 3-PW v. $749 for the Pings.

I have bought 3 sets of irons and countless woods from them and everything is top quality, no difference in playability and CS is excellent.

You can buy a set of irons on their specials for what some charge to regrip. I bought a set of Z irons two years ago on special 3-PW for $83.

Great link...Thanks. Methinks it's time to upgrade.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #39 of 56
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore, 9.5 w/ aldila nvs stiff shaft
Woods: Sonartec ss-01, 15 and 19 degree w/ Fujikura vista tour pro's, stiff.
Irons: Mizuno MX-23's, stiff.
Wedges: Cleveland 900 series, 52* gunmetal and 56* RTG
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X, 34"

Play Rancho park golf course a couple times a week...at the range every day i'm not on the course. Golf team baby : )

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 56
Update: Just got the Titleist Vokey 58* sandwedge and lovin it.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #41 of 56
Driver: Nike SasQuatch 13° Reg. Flex w/ Stock Diamana shaft
Woods: Nike SasQuatch 3 (15°) & 5 (18°) Reg. Flex w/ Stock Diamana shafts
Hybrids: Nike Slingshot 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Reg. Flex w/ Stock Diamana shafts
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW w/ Aldila VX Graphite shafts
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG "Rossie" Mallet style

All clubs except the putter have been outfitted with Winn Excel RF grips.

The clubs (except putter) were a gift from my sister, and I think she did a great job. The irons were stiff shaft and hard for me to use. I hated the vibration I got whenever I hit the ball and it never went far. Upgrading to the Aldila VX shafts helped tremendously.

Now that I can actually play and hit the ball
wink.gif
the SQ driver is giving me problems. It must be the loft, or my swing, but whenever I hit with my driver, I launch the ball high, very high. So high that it "sticks" when it lands. I wonder if a 10-11° lofted club would make a difference, or if its my swing? I dunno, I'll figure it out, weather is getting better, I have more time to play now.

May 7, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #42 of 56
Today was my first day out this year, so I thought I'd add my set:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Woods: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III No3, No5
Irons: Callaway X-14 steelheads, light steel shafts
SW: Triumph Flapper
Putter: Spalding putter, came with a generic set I bought a looong time ago. It's great, and it would probably take me too long to get adjusted to a new putter
Bag: Nike bag with backpack straps
Balls: Free Titleist balls from drug reps, whatever their FOTM is
cool.gif

My irons have taken a beating over 2 years of use, thinking of replacing them with X-20s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you are looking for a head-fi style forum for golf clubs, there is no better place than www.4gea.com (Golf Equipment Afficianados) The swap shop there is AWESOME. My other board I practically live on. Some of the best sponsors and deals in the industry are on this board. Great great group of guys!

Respect
Mobay

Thanks for the forum recommendation, so similar to Headfi in that it's about the equipment and not the game
evil_smiley.gif
(I kid, I kid
biggrin.gif
)

May 7, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #43 of 56
I ditched my Callaway SW and got a Titleist 60 degree wedge, I wish I had one a long time ago...it's awesome.

Slick, a 13 degree driver would really sky the ball (for me anyway). Mine is a 10 degree, most people I know use a 10 or a 10.5. I'd try a new loft, but if the club is new and you don't want to replace it, try putting the ball a little back in your stance so you don't cut under it as much.

May 7, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #44 of 56
im 20 and have just started to play again. i used to play alot when i was 12-14 but kinda got out of it during high school. played 3 times so far and am hoping to be playing at least once every 2 weeks this summer. my 5-w are pretty accurate and nice and my putting is solid-ish, i really need to figure out my long irons and my drives have a wicked wicked slide on them that i cant seem to work out(any tips?) my clubs have been with me since i was 17 and now that im playing alot again id kinda like to get something new, as they arent the best

d-ping si3(9 degree) and an adams faldo 10.5(still trying to figure out which one i like better)
irons-tour edge 950(no 9 iron, left it near a green somewhere and im hating myself for it)
putter-tour edge something or another
balls-maxli noodles

im really hoping to knock 20 off my 18 score this summer(normally shoot in the 105-115 range)

May 7, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now that I can actually play and hit the ball
wink.gif
the SQ driver is giving me problems. It must be the loft, or my swing, but whenever I hit with my driver, I launch the ball high, very high. So high that it "sticks" when it lands. I wonder if a 10-11° lofted club would make a difference, or if its my swing? I dunno, I'll figure it out, weather is getting better, I have more time to play now.

Perhaps play the ball back in your stance more? This helps me, and should help, but may cause you to slice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back