Goldpoint HP Pro vs Burson HA-160
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rattesp

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone compared these amps ? Not to many reviews here on HF so I'm a bit hesitant to buy. I can't decide which one to get for my HD 600. Any comments ?

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 13
I am interested as well. There is a review on 6moons of the burson 160 if that interests you. IIRC it won best headphone amp.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 13
Not that big chance you will get one that have both AND HD 600. Both amps is quite new on the market.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I own the Headphone Pro-V (version 3) for a while, and use a Little Pinkie Power Supply with it. Hopefully in the not two distant future I will send it back for the final upgrade by Arn.

In the meantime, I have been in talks with John at Burson Audio about getting a 160. From what I read about the 160 it holds a lot of promise. However, it seems to offer little play for low impedance cans. So, I am sending my RS-1 to John so that he can tune one 160 to work better with low impedance cans. When this is done John will ship the 160 and the RS-1 back to me. Hopefully this will be some time in late Feb or early March.

By then I will be able to update you on how they compare. I do not have a HD600 but do have a HD650. I am planning to do the comparison using two cans - the T1 and my Edition 8. At least this is my plan.

F. Lo

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Would love an update. I love my GHP I am just pondering if I should upgrade or not. Edition 8 we have in common though I doubt that is the best headphone to show the difference with. Since it performs so admirable unamped it´s almost criminal
smily_headphones1.gif

This little pinkie PSU looks nice. 2.5A right? Is it switchable 120/230V? Looks like it uses these big cables so no problem with euro schuko plugs
smily_headphones1.gif

I am using a separate transformer now of totally unknown quality.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would love an update. I love my GHP I am just pondering if I should upgrade or not. Edition 8 we have in common though I doubt that is the best headphone to show the difference with. Since it performs so admirable unamped it´s almost criminal
smily_headphones1.gif

This little pinkie PSU looks nice. 2.5A right? Is it switchable 120/230V? Looks like it uses these big cables so no problem with euro schuko plugs
smily_headphones1.gif

My Headphone Pro-V with version 5 upgrade is back home 2 days ago, but it is still in the box. Just have no time to hook it up as I am toying with the Burson Audio HA160.

The Little Pinkie PSU mains voltage is not switchable. You have to specify what mains voltage to use when ordering.

F. Lo

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 13
I was in contact with Arn about upgrading it. He is working on an adapter for the upgraded amp so will get that at the same time.

So what is your findings. Is one brighter then the other, bass? etc etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Headphone Pro-V with version 5 upgrade is back home 2 days ago, but it is still in the box. Just have no time to hook it up as I am toying with the Burson Audio HA160.

The Little Pinkie PSU mains voltage is not switchable. You have to specify what mains voltage to use when ordering.

F. Lo

update please?
redface.gif

May 14, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
had it not been for the stepped  click pot on the burson, i surely would've gone for it,,  but im sure its probably not a big deal, i just thought it would annoy me

Yeah, I compared the Burson with the Concerto yesterday and whilst there were differences, they weren't big enough for me to really have a preference (or even to describe them well). I guess they're both pretty... neutral, but slightly different... The volume pot, however, definitely goes to the Concerto - more usable 'steps' 

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

You have had plenty of time with them now I hope :).

My GHP is being upgraded to V8 PCB board btw.  Arn swears this is final.

The little play on the pot on the burson is a deal breaker for me anyway. I had similar if not that severr issues with the GHP as well and am being spoiled by my Auditor currently.
 am getting the gain lowered a bit on my GHP at the same time as doing the upgrade.
How much of a difference do you detect from using the little pinkie versus stock? Arn would ship some new adapters for us Europeans as well.

Also wonder if anyone measured the current output at say 50 ohms on the GHP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back