GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #256 of 560
OOTB they sound great stock, but over time you catch things that are odd in the sound based on the frequency response. All of those things have been (mostly) fixable though with EQ, pad swaps, or tuning paper/mesh filter changes. The incredible soundstage and imaging never suffers, and they take EQ like a champ.

I haven't owned many $600+ headphones, but this is my favorite headphone I've ever owned.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #257 of 560
After some tinkering, there’s very little I am looking forward to. Most annoying aspects are mostly gone. So yeah, passive or active EQ will get them where they need to go as far as personal preferences go. One of few headphones that allow you to tune it to your heart’s content. Out of the box, I was at about 7.5 out of 10. I might be moving towards 8.5 now.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #258 of 560
After some tinkering, there’s very little I am looking forward to. Most annoying aspects are mostly gone. So yeah, passive or active EQ will get them where they need to go as far as personal preferences go. One of few headphones that allow you to tune it to your heart’s content. Out of the box, I was at about 7.5 out of 10. I might be moving towards 8.5 now.
I think you might reach 8.8 or 9.0 with the pad swap.

You're right, one of their best features is that I can tune it exactly how I want per song. Very few IEMs and Headphones have ever given me that freedom.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #259 of 560
I think you might reach 8.8 or 9.0 with the pad swap.

You're right, one of their best features is that I can tune it exactly how I want per song. Very few IEMs and Headphones have ever given me that freedom.
They do respond to physical tuning beautifully. And yes, that’s very rare. More often than not I would stay clear from entertaining the idea of butchering manufacture’s tuning. GLs didn’t need all that much so it was worth a shot. And my ears are thankful for it. I would never attempt messing around with my LCDXs. Too much hustle and too many things that could go wrong. GLs are wonderful to play with. And if you EQ? That is probably the easiest way to make them sing the way you want it. I like “less the better” approach in my audio chain and to be quite honest, I have no skills or patience for fiddling with active EQ. Lol

And, ..... there’s still a chance to get to that 9.0. :)
Pads are on the way and maybe something great comes out of it. But I’m happy with them now. And I enjoy them very much.
Great purchase. And easy recommendation.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #263 of 560
They also have aluminum ribbon driver based headphones GL1200 for $1399. You need a beast amp to drive them tho. So not many will get sold.

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #265 of 560
My wallet is screaming for mercy at this point, lol. Anyone planning on getting these new models to test them? For science of course :)
With the GL2000 already being compared to and preferred against the likes of Arya (according to some), the GL850 being even better is indeed scary for the wallet.

Damnit Linsoul for not allowing free returns!

What do they charge, 35% restocking fee? Crazy!

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #266 of 560
My wallet is screaming for mercy at this point, lol. Anyone planning on getting these new models to test them? For science of course :)
I’m considering GL850. But I need more financial discipline.

(GL1200 looks very interesting but spects are frightening to say the least.)

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #267 of 560
With the GL2000 already being compared to and preferred against the likes of Arya (according to some), the GL850 being even better is indeed scary for the wallet.

That's why I fully plan to buy them off Amazon if they're indeed worth the splurge over the GL2000's. Restocking fee is 20% vs buying them off Linsoul direct. Plus they have a US warehouse for Amazon orders - so you can return them without having to deal with customs.

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #268 of 560

If they put them on Amazon, it would suggest certain degree of confidence in that product. If it’s available on Amazon, I might give them a shot since they offer free returns.

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #270 of 560
The ribbon drivers one requires a TON of power, as per the spec sheet "4ohms load, single track/100Watt", quite close to the Raals SR1a, but without the finicky fitment. :)

The GL850 looks interesting, but it'll have to go head to head with the German Behemoth, the HEDDphones :beyersmile:

AMT drivers are ruthless and so visceral, however, the HEDDs weight 718g around 1.6 lbs and the headband is not comfortable. I hope the GLs are lighter.

11238941.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back