Gold and silver 3.5mm jack sound quality
May 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #31 of 36
Gold often is softer than silver. Gold plugs tend to degrade very fast in my experience. I would go for platinum:wink:.

To the cable non-believers: take a listen. In fact even power cables can make a lot of difference. Goodolcheez: I use some QED silver coated copper cables and they suck. Copper cables often have a bit of woolyness in the upper-bass but silver cables can be very analytic.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #32 of 36
Does anyone know if a pure silver jack 3.5 mm or 6.5 mm exist in the market (sterling or even close to 100%). I mean the plug itself not the wire and also not plated. I found this link but not sure if it is pure silver or just plated one. Also looking for good recommendation of real silver cable 20, 18 and 16 AWG (not plated as well).
Thanks

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 36
These have rhodium over silver plating and the base metal is brass.  Pure copper and pure silver are not suitable base materials for 3.5mm and 6.3mm stereo plugs due to how they are manufactured.  Making one is impractical, essentially impossible, and wouldn't improve sound quality.  

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:
Gold often is softer than silver. Gold plugs tend to degrade very fast in my experience. I would go for platinum:wink:.

To the cable non-believers: take a listen. In fact even power cables can make a lot of difference. Goodolcheez: I use some QED silver coated copper cables and they suck. Copper cables often have a bit of woolyness in the upper-bass but silver cables can be very analytic.

Good post.  Good man....

The thing I like about with my silver (100% solid) cable is that it gives better details in the highs and there is reflection to the music. You can literally hear almost every part instruments with sound bouncing off the walls. Freakin awesome actually.  I also like it that it has smoother transition (less harshness) after it has gone through well over 500 hours of use.  Sound god damn dumb good.  I'm thanking myself for taking a chance on such expensive cable.  I also have a very good quality copper cable which costs $200 and is also very good. It does better job in the lows to mid bass detail. I get pops of certain musical instruments that come close to your face when with generic cable it was far away faint.   But the silver one has more headroom for highs and has rock-solid transition so I like it best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back