Going to paint my room....which colors?
Feb 28, 2004 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
Gosh, I think I'm letting you fellow headphone addicts too much control over my life.
redface.gif

Anyway, my room looks like crap because of the dirty look of the walls, all scratched up and ugly and boring in white. Anyway, I've decided that I must paint my walls or die of boredom.

I ask for any more fashionable head-fi er's to help me choose. It is a rather standard sized, 4 walled bedroom, sorry, can't really give you exact specs. Can you think of any combinations of colors that work great? Nothing too dark. I plan to get rid of all of my posters and change some furniture. for a nice, clean, contemporary look.

By the way, I despise wallpaper.

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 25
A nice light shade of blue because it's calming.

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking iPod mini light green look, but I think that even though it may be initially exciting, I may get bored of it over time.

Darn, I spelled "paint" wrong.

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 25
I say you go Baroque and experiment a little...

My dream paint scheme is this :-

2 stripes covering the entire wall running horizontally around the room. The color combo is up to you...my dream colors are :-

1] Upper Band (75% of the wall from the ceiling down) -> Off-White

2] Lower Band (bottom 25%) -> Saffron / Orange (but Saffron is a different color altogether)

Try to work in some texture into the walls using a cement/polymer and read about this before you do it...you have to use your hands and get messy in working in the texture...

but if you get it right the texture + color combo really brings the walls to life.

The ceiling is the most complicated and I simply choose White because it gives me the impression that there is no roof...doesnt make you feel CLOSED in...You can use a false roof with many small lights to give the room a warm ans sophisticated look. DONT use fluorescent lights with my color scheme - you need yellow warm lamps for the best effect.

Basically what I am suggesting is that you choose EARTH colors like green/Yellow/Brown/Red,orange,Saffron/Blue etc.

cheers!

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 25
Light color is best. Yes, it might look boring... but you probably don't want a room that "screams" at you everyday until you next paint it. Try using two tones of the same color, but use one tone per wall. That should give the room some "movement" while maintaining a relatively "calm" look. After that, go find some nice framed artwork for decoration.

I didn't realize joining this forum would involve home improvement discussions.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Before I'd paint my room in polka dots, I'd slit my wrists.
biggrin.gif

That gives me an idea, you could paint the wall a maroon/black color!!...then you wouldn't have to slit your wrists, it'd look like you did already.

or you could go to the store and find a color that you like...and get a can...and paint it, it's not an exhilirating process, at least I don't think it is, it may be so though...I don't know
tongue.gif
...paint it BLUE!!

p.s. I see you have a new avatar

oh, MF, that picture looks like a jawbreaker!!

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Remember, this room would be the place where would spend most of my life, so, comeon!

Think of it this way -- it would give you a reason to get out more.

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 25
Also do not forget the possibility of using multiple colors, in different areas.

For instance if your room is small painting it, mainly, any color except a shade of white will psychologically shrink it. It that won't be a problem, because the room is either (a) actually spacious or (b) exceptionally well lit (which reduces that effect) and that effect won't bother you no problem.

If the "reduction" effect does bother you then paint 2 or 3 (probably 3) walls some shade of white (many are available) to keep the room bright, and therefore mentally large. The 4th wall add a color to "pop" the room, and you can go dark and / or saturated and not have to worry about the "darkening" effect. The door can be either (a) the 4th wall color or (b) a completely different color, but one that still compliments the 4th wall color.

I have personal choices for colors (one I used myself) but I won't quite volunteer it here. (A) You might think it very uncool for me to say "use this" just because I did and (B) (
biggrin.gif
) the color I picked is so g@dda#m awesome (and it wasn't my first choice, I had a different original idea but stopped other ideas dead after I painted this one) if I tell you, you see what it does, and you like it...I'd have to kill you to keep the secret.

tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 25
A light shade of blue (like Oddball said) or green. Both relaxing colors.

My bedroom walls are a light shade of green with dark blue accesoiries (Not on the wall, but the lamps are etc.). The furniture is light wood and the curtains are off-white. A very relaxing room for me. I can spend hours in it listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back