Going to London. Tips?
Jul 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

natural_nut

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm heading down to London next weekend. Anything that I absolutely must see/ do/ eat/ drink/ go to? I'm also thinking of going to Hillsong London. However, I'll be going alone.

How do I get there?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 30
If you have a taste for sweets, the Guinness toffees are insanely delicious and I can't find them here so I strangle a wild raccoon every time I have a craving for them.

I've never been to London, so I can't be too much help on city specific stuff. But enjoy the trip!

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm heading down to London next weekend. Anything that I absolutely must see/ do/ eat/ drink/ go to? I'm also thinking of going to Hillsong London. However, I'll be going alone.

How do I get there?

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean Hillsong Church ? - it is on Oxford street, you can use the London Underground,

http://images.intolondon.com/images/intolondon/transport-maps/tube-train-underground-map.pdf

the stop is Tottenham Court Road, which used to be a great street for HiFi shops, mostly AV shops now and is on the Central (red) and Northern (black) Lines.

The National Gallery is good, Fish and Chips, the water is safe to drink, Hyde Park (speakers corner) is a laugh, the Hoover Factory ( 5 miles out of London, on the Western avenue) 

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 30
I've heard from a few people who have been there that the food is absolutely digusting.  If you're not adventurous with food, stick to more american-type places (that is, if you're American) or food you are familiar with.

You could probably ask some of the locals what the best landmarks are, including pubs and whatnot.
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 30
my #1 tip:  enjoy youself.
it's a great city.  every corner you turn, there's a cool restaurant or pub or record shop, etc.

#2 tip:
don't ever call this London Bridge.  you'll piss off the locals.
it's Tower Bridge.

this is London Bridge.
Pretty underwhelming, huh?

#3:  don't remind them that London Bridge is now located in Arizona.  Pisses them off, too. 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 30
Goto the wax museum Madame Tussauds! It was a pretty fun time when me and a good friend went there. They had a Live walkthrough area which had people dressed as zombies. Note to self... dont laugh and joke at them...

Also check out Camden Town on a Sunday... Lots of hussle and bussle. But there are some very very interesting stalls.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 30
Hey, thank you all for the replies!

@mark2410: Thanks for the tip regarding the oyster card!

@Landis: Guinness toffees! That sounds amazingly awesome.

@kiwirugby: LOL! My friend did that and he ended up in hospital with alcohol poisoning.

@nick_charles: Yup, that'd be Hillsong Church (I guess the folks at London don't refer it to Hillsong UK/ London haha. I'm more familiar with Hillsong Aus). Is there any way I can get someone to join me, since I'll probably be alone? 

@Omega: Noted, thanks for the tip. Was planning to visit some of the famed museums too.

@TheAudioDude: I'm pretty adventurous with food, so I'll try quite a few places

@TheWuss: Woah that's mega underwhelming.

@Townyj: I went to the Madame Tussaud's at Hong Kong. I guess it's not in my nature to pose for photographs with wax statues. I doubt I'll go to the one at London, thanks for the tip anyway :) Alright, will look into Camden Town

I was also looking to get some headphones there, would they be cheaper compared to Singapore? 

Apart from all that, are there any precautions I have to take? I've a British friend who used to live in London; he kept telling me horror stories about being robbed/ mugged.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 30
Stonehenge.

We went when my wife was 5 months into the pregnancy. The baby was quiet the whole trip except when we buzzed her with earth energy over one of the Aubrey holes at which point she became quite active. Baby went quiet when my wife walked away from the Aubrey hole, and active again when she walked over it. It was amazing 

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 30
The Tower of London, St Pauls Cathedral, Greenwich (where time started :) Buckingham Palace and/or Horse Guards Parade depending on your view of Royalty and ceremonial troops. Big Ben of course - (though the name is actually the bell inside) but even the locals call it that.

British Museum is a good recommendation above.

A boat trip down the Thames, not sure if they still do the amphibious boats.

Working in London I take it all for granted I suppose. Never been mugged or robbed though but I've only lived or worked there for over 50 years. Just take normal precautions against pickpockets as you would in any major city.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
my #1 tip:  enjoy youself.
it's a great city.  every corner you turn, there's a cool restaurant or pub or record shop, etc.

#2 tip:
don't ever call this London Bridge.  you'll piss off the locals.
it's Tower Bridge.

this is London Bridge.
Pretty underwhelming, huh?

#3:  don't remind them that London Bridge is now located in Arizona.  Pisses them off, too. 
wink.gif

The buyers were pissed off they thought they were buying Tower Bridge. We have a new London Bridge now having sold the old one to some Americans, never heard of any local being pissed off as we got a good price. Wann buy another bridge anyone - going cheap!!!

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
The buyers were pissed off they thought they were buying Tower Bridge. We have a new London Bridge now having sold the old one to some Americans, never heard of any local being pissed off as we got a good price. Wann buy another bridge anyone - going cheap!!!

touché. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back