Going to Japan - What should I buy?
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MDR-CD900ST and ATH-ESW10JPN are the only two nice Japan-only phones that I know of. Have heard good things about both.

The W5000 is not Japanese?

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by slunk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm back and ended up purchasing the MDR-CD900ST from the Yodobashi Camera Akiba store in Akihabara. Wow is that store ever huge! 9 Floors of glorious geekdom! I was in heaven.

That's a good grab there. Excellent pair of cans for the price, but it's so ridiculously particular to recording quality that I decided it wasn't worthwhile to get myself a pair.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #34 of 44
Congratulations on your purchase, slunk077. If anyone ever has a chance to visit Japan, I highly recommend "Dynamic Audio 5555" in Akihabara for true audiophile heaven. 7 floors worth of audio equipment. You can audition unbelievable amounts of gear, from headphones to 100k+ speakers. YUM

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #35 of 44
I'm in Japan right now! I have been to Yokohama and found a 7 floor electronics store the selection is amazing but the prices seem better here in the US. I plan to go to Akihabara this Saturday and spend the day there. Not sure if I'll pick up anything.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #37 of 44
Eaten Fugu? :)
fugu.jpg

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #38 of 44
Akihabara is now almost completely a waste of time. 10 years ago it was amazing if you wanted cheap or obscure computer gear. Note that many shops are small and have multiple floors, so if you can find the hi-fi stores, you might pick up something interesting. There used to be an interesting hi-fi store on the corner of one of the major intersections, easy to spot because of the weird speaker-like structure out the front, next to which was a dedicated headphone store. However, last time I looked on their web site, they'd abolished the headphone store.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #40 of 44
I was planning on getting a netbook but I'll wait until I get back. I know for certain I'll get a better price in the states. I did see many well known brands of audio equipment but finding a bargin will be difficult.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #41 of 44
Wooo, sorry to drop in late!

If there's one thing I've noticed since moving to Japan, it's that everything is so damn hard to find. I only just found out after 18 months of living here that there's a great audiophile store on the fourth floor of a totally nondescript building in Osaka's electric town!

From what I remember of prices back home in Australia, there isn't much you'll get a good deal on. Japanese consumers are total suckers, they'll pay whatever inflated prices the shops set their wares at. I usually order off amazon or ebay, I've never actually bought any audio gear in japan because their prices are too high.

I can't speak much for equipment prices, although Audio Technica is definitely cheaper here than back home. However, vinyl here is generally great quality and quite cheap for old-pressing imports, make sure to check out some of those back-street record shops! They have some real gems.

Oh, and no trip to Japan is complete without a trip to a Maid Cafe (and/or a Love Hotel)!

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #42 of 44
Well, I didn't do the Love Hotel thing, but I did sleep in a Capsule Hotel in Osaka. It was neat, but I'd never do it again. Much too noisy. Definitely not the Michael Jackson oxygen chamber I had visualized in my head.

Pocari Sweat is gross! Even worse when it is warm.
frown.gif
Leaving Narita Airport, I was so thirsty I bought this drink called Aquarius. It was Coca-Cola's version of Pocari Sweat! Aargh!!!

I do love Calpis though. Also, their ice cream rocks!

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 44
I've never had the pleasure of sleeping in a capsule hotel myself, but it's definitely on my list of things to do before I leave.

Yeah Aquarius is pretty gross, there are heaps of weird sports and vitamin drinks that leave you feeling more thirsty than when you started.

Calpis ice-cream? I had no idea!

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wooo, sorry to drop in late!

If there's one thing I've noticed since moving to Japan, it's that everything is so damn hard to find. I only just found out after 18 months of living here that there's a great audiophile store on the fourth floor of a totally nondescript building in Osaka's electric town!

Try finding an electronics shop! I think I spent two hours or something crazy searching the web using all the Japanese words I could come up with just to find one around the corner from my regular haunt, a large Bic Camera. It has iPod LOD plugs and whatnot as well, along with a huge selection of project boxes, Nichicon caps and other gear, but no decent TRS sockets at all! OFC cable? Forget it. Very hit and miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back