Going to college soon, need some advice!
Jul 26, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I'd definetly consider th 595s also, they are very comfortable and great for long gaming sessions.

I'd get the emu 0404 soundcard, chaintech is a good card FOR its price -- but it does not compare to the emu soundcards, it is worth goin for the better option, source is very important.

The 650s you were originally considering, really require very good source and amp, way out of your budget to let them shine.

Also - I am still skeptical about people worryin about the audigy 2 + games, I have a audigy 2 backup in case that I gave to a friend, but I have yet to play any game on my emu 1212m that had any slow/choppy sounds or seemed to lag my frame rate, or that I felt I was missing the EAX reverb cheesy effects, I have never enjoyed EAX effects in the first place, positional audio is great, but imho it is more enjoyable with surround sound, 5.1/7.1 speakers, than headphones/2 channel speakers. I do not notice any difference in positioning.

Haha, with every post I consider something different. Speakers are not an option for me because I usually am up very late, and would not like to distract anybody. You say you do not notice a difference in positioning without EAX- what type of games do you play? I mostly play FPS's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
You would do well to buy closed headphones, I almost went nuts using Grados while waiting to get my HD25's back. And I'm not living in a noisy environment either. Yessirree, nothing like gaming/listening in (near) total isolation.
evil_smiley.gif

As for the A2 settings:

I'm pretty sure you have to install the associated software in order to disable any useless features competely (ie. CMSS). And never, ever use the headphone setting, it's hideous! Granted it supposedly provides better positioning in games, but I've had no problems using the stereo speaker setup exclusively.

Never use the headphone setting in Windows, or in Creative's software?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by What
Speakers are not an option for me because I usually am up very late, and would not like to distract anybody.

Depending on your living arrangements, you could distract your roommate while s/he's trying to sleep with open headphones. If you both have separate rooms it won't be a problem though.

I'm not a gamer, but I've never understood why headphones that are good for music (Sennheiser HD600/HD650, Grado SR-225, etc.) are rarely considered "good for gaming," while headphones that sound relatively poorer with music (HD590/HD595) are supposedly "good for gaming." What's up with that? I'm a little skeptical. Are game developers deliberately developing for non-neutral headphones?

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by What
Never use the headphone setting in Windows, or in Creative's software?

Doesn't matter really, unless you uncheck the "synchronize with control panel" box, and even then I doubt the Windows' setting would affect anything.

Wodgy: I don't know about the HD600's, but I believe the problem with Grados is that they're simply too up close and personal. Being totally open doesn't help either.

Also, higher-grade headphones aren't favoured since they (most of the time) need an amp, and have a nasty habit of being ruthless when it comes to sound quality. Basically overkill.

Jul 26, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I'm not a gamer, but I've never understood why headphones that are good for music (Sennheiser HD600/HD650, Grado SR-225, etc.) are rarely considered "good for gaming," while headphones that sound relatively poorer with music (HD590/HD595) are supposedly "good for gaming." What's up with that? I'm a little skeptical. Are game developers deliberately developing for non-neutral headphones?

I don't know if it's true that higher end headphones are bad for games. But, if that is the case, my guess would be that there are more flaws in the gaming sounds than in music, and that the higher end headphones will better reveal these flaws. It could also be that people looking for good gaming headphones don't have as big a budget, so that the higher end headphones are not a practical consideration.

Just noticed that luukas already responded to Wodgy -- glad we agree.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello
I don't know if it's true that higher end headphones are bad for games. But, if that is the case, my guess would be that there are more flaws in the gaming sounds than in music, and that the higher end headphones will better reveal these flaws.

I think this is exactly it. I use my HD-600s for gaming sometimes, and the low-bitrate compression of the sound files in the game is very obvious, all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back