Going to college soon, need some advice!
Jul 24, 2004 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wtf

New Head-Fier
First off, let me state that I am not an audiophile. I do not have vast collections of Ogg's, 320kbps mp3's, etc.

BUT, what's important is that
1) I game occasionally- can't wait for HL2
tongue.gif

2) I never use speakers.

I will be staying in the dorms for a year, and I like to listen (with my odd sleeping patterns) whenever I want without distracting anybody. Anyways, since headphones will be my only source, I'm deciding which setup to get. I DONT want to spend a fortune, but I'll need to satisfy my ears if it's the only thing I'll be listening from
600smile.gif

Since I game, I'll be using the A2zs. I'm aware that they suck, compared to the EMU cards, but HL2
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm thinking about the 650's and a "cheap" amp. What I mean by cheap is something that is good, but doesn't cost a fortune. Would a Headsave Classic (+OPA 627's and +24v) fit well? Or is there something better in the pricerange? I really don't want to spend any more than that (my computer is already costing more than 2k!).

A few more Q's:
-Where can I get the 650's for a decent price at a reliable place? It's $369 here: http://www.bigbangelectronics.com/pr...=5&pf_id=hd650

-I'll need to ask Norm for a mini connection for the amp, correct? And I'll also need a spare cable, one that goes to the amp and then to the A2zs?

-EAX works with headphones right? Noob question
etysmile.gif

-Software settings:
--Do I need to install the Creative software? Or will the drivers be fine for my purpose?
--I know FB is better than WinAmp for music, but as I stated before, I'm not that hardcore of a listener
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyways, will it be "too overcompensated" for if I put "Headphones" in Windows Control Panel and again in WinAmp's equalizer? Or should I leave them alone or what?

-Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 20
It's not worth spending that much on headphones and an amp if you're going to be using the Audigy 2 as a source. You should at least budget for a basic music soundcard that you can use along with the Audigy. The Chaintech 710 is only $25 and is a good option. You'll be far more satisfied with that and even an HD580 than with the HD650 and the Audigy 2 for music. Good sound is more about assembling a coherent system than just one or two really good parts.

You also mention that you want to listen but not disturb anybody. Will you have a roommate? If so, just be aware that the HD650s are completely open and your roommate will be able to hear the music/game just as well as you can. People won't be able to hear them outside of your room, so if you'll be alone this is not a problem.

The amp should be secondary in importance to both the headphones and the source. Any of the Headsave products will probably satisfy you, and they are good values.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 20
Also, if you intend to use a software equalizer or software crossfeed, you should really consider Foobar. Winamp is fine if you have nothing in the sound pipeline, but as soon as you add an equalizer, the sound quality drops. The Winamp EQ operates using 16-bit fixed-point integer math. The Foobar EQ operates using 32-bit floating-point math. The difference is huge.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 20
$2000+ on a computer? perhaps you should build it yourself (or have a friend do it) and spend some of that on headphones
wink.gif
i find tinkering with my computer very enjoyable, and building one myself saved me a ton of money, but that's just me. also, wodgy's advice on getting a chaintech av-710 is something to take seriously. the chaintech is much better than the audigy is music, and its not very difficult to have 2 soundcards running simultaneously. what is your overall budget to spend on source/amp/headphones? that would help ppl recommend you a setup as well.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It's not worth spending that much on headphones and an amp if you're going to be using the Audigy 2 as a source. You should at least budget for a basic music soundcard that you can use along with the Audigy. The Chaintech 710 is only $25 and is a good option. You'll be far more satisfied with that and even an HD580 than with the HD650 and the Audigy 2 for music. Good sound is more about assembling a coherent system than just one or two really good parts.

You also mention that you want to listen but not disturb anybody. Will you have a roommate? If so, just be aware that the HD650s are completely open and your roommate will be able to hear the music/game just as well as you can. People won't be able to hear them outside of your room, so if you'll be alone this is not a problem.

The amp should be secondary in importance to both the headphones and the source. Any of the Headsave products will probably satisfy you, and they are good values.

Ah yes, I suppose I could get both and hook them up. I'll have a roommate who will be using speakers, so openness isn't a problem.
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
$2000+ on a computer? perhaps you should build it yourself (or have a friend do it) and spend some of that on headphones
wink.gif
i find tinkering with my computer very enjoyable, and building one myself saved me a ton of money, but that's just me. also, wodgy's advice on getting a chaintech av-710 is something to take seriously. the chaintech is much better than the audigy is music, and its not very difficult to have 2 soundcards running simultaneously. what is your overall budget to spend on source/amp/headphones? that would help ppl recommend you a setup as well.

I am building it myself, wouldn't have it any other way
smily_headphones1.gif

The AV710 isn't really expensive, I am able to afford both sound cards. I have money set aside for the 650s, and wouldn't like to spend more than 200 for an amp.

Thanks for the comments!

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

I'll have a roommate who will be using speakers, so openness isn't a problem.

If your roomate is playing music, you'll hear it with open phones (like HD650) more so than closed phones (like HD280) or ear canal phones (like ER-4).

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 20
hi,

i think your wasting your money on 650's. No offense.

Get a decent source first of all (650's require a VERY good source to be appreciated), get a headphone amp (PPA would be nice, you can split your 650's fund in half, then spend 250 on an amp, 250 on phones)
for 250, maybe go for a used pair of hd600s, or 580s if u like the senns, then get some good cables.

Buying one of the best headphones doesn't = the best sound without having sufficent gear, it is a waste of money.

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 20
Instead of the HD650, get the Audio Technica A900/A500. They don't require an amp and are a lot cheaper, plus they have great 3d positioning and they're closed so you have isolation and no/very little sound leaks out. (In other words they're the perfect cans for gaming).

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
hi,

i think your wasting your money on 650's. No offense.

Get a decent source first of all (650's require a VERY good source to be appreciated), get a headphone amp (PPA would be nice, you can split your 650's fund in half, then spend 250 on an amp, 250 on phones)
for 250, maybe go for a used pair of hd600s, or 580s if u like the senns, then get some good cables.

Buying one of the best headphones doesn't = the best sound without having sufficent gear, it is a waste of money.

I decided to get the AV710's- is it not good enough? And will it make that big of a difference if my files aren't high quality? .wavs in games aren't the highest of quality, either. Also, are the PPA type amps a lot better than the Headsave Classics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Instead of the HD650, get the Audio Technica A900/A500. They don't require an amp and are a lot cheaper, plus they have great 3d positioning and they're closed so you have isolation and no/very little sound leaks out. (In other words they're the perfect cans for gaming).

Hmm.

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by What
Also, are the PPA type amps a lot better than the Headsave Classics?
Hmm.

Headsave classic is a Pimeta based design. This is an older lower quality DIY design. I previously had a PPA and Senn 595 and really loved that combo. Do that and a Chaintech and you'll be in pretty good shape. Also the up-frontness of the 595's will be better for games (the 600 series adds a bit of unrealistic soundstage, bad for 3d games).

Jul 24, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 20
I think HD5x5 would be a better choice, they are cheaper ($100 for 515, $150 for 555, $250 for 595) and don't need as much of an amp as the HD650s. For the amp, a Gilmore Lite would be a good choice at $250 assembled or $200 in a kit.

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 20
I think the HD650s are a reasonable purchase along with the Chaintech card. No, you won't be getting all you can out of the headphones yet, but you'll have something that you can keep for a number of years and that will grow with you. You'll have one of the best and won't be tempted to upgrade your headphones. However, if you do decide to go with a lower-end alternative, I'd pick a headphone less than $200. e.g. Something like the HD595 is just a waste of money when for a little more money you could have had the HD650 (and for a little less money you could have had the HD600). How long did Gsferrari keep his HD595 before deciding to upgrade to the HD650? One week? While the A900 are good closed headphones, if closed is not a requirement, you can get better sound quality for the same amount of money by going with an open headphone or canalphones.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Headsave classic is a Pimeta based design. This is an older lower quality DIY design. I previously had a PPA and Senn 595 and really loved that combo. Do that and a Chaintech and you'll be in pretty good shape. Also the up-frontness of the 595's will be better for games (the 600 series adds a bit of unrealistic soundstage, bad for 3d games).

Hmm, now I might have to consider the 595's
basshead.gif

What is a decent price on a PPA? It seems like they sell for around $400, which is about twice as much as I'd like to spend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I think the HD650s are a reasonable purchase along with the Chaintech card. No, you won't be getting all you can out of the headphones yet, but you'll have something that you can keep for a number of years and that will grow with you. You'll have one of the best and won't be tempted to upgrade your headphones. However, if you do decide to go with a lower-end alternative, I'd pick a headphone less than $200. e.g. Something like the HD595 is just a waste of money when for a little more money you could have had the HD650 (and for a little less money you could have had the HD600). How long did Gsferrari keep his HD595 before deciding to upgrade to the HD650? One week? While the A900 are good closed headphones, if closed is not a requirement, you can get better sound quality for the same amount of money by going with an open headphone or canalphones.

Yes! I hate to know that there are better things out there for a little more money
3000smile.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 20
I'd definetly consider th 595s also, they are very comfortable and great for long gaming sessions.

I'd get the emu 0404 soundcard, chaintech is a good card FOR its price -- but it does not compare to the emu soundcards, it is worth goin for the better option, source is very important.

The 650s you were originally considering, really require very good source and amp, way out of your budget to let them shine.

Also - I am still skeptical about people worryin about the audigy 2 + games, I have a audigy 2 backup in case that I gave to a friend, but I have yet to play any game on my emu 1212m that had any slow/choppy sounds or seemed to lag my frame rate, or that I felt I was missing the EAX reverb cheesy effects, I have never enjoyed EAX effects in the first place, positional audio is great, but imho it is more enjoyable with surround sound, 5.1/7.1 speakers, than headphones/2 channel speakers. I do not notice any difference in positioning.

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 20
You would do well to buy closed headphones, I almost went nuts using Grados while waiting to get my HD25's back. And I'm not living in a noisy environment either. Yessirree, nothing like gaming/listening in (near) total isolation.
evil_smiley.gif

As for the A2 settings:

I'm pretty sure you have to install the associated software in order to disable any useless features competely (ie. CMSS). And never, ever use the headphone setting, it's hideous! Granted it supposedly provides better positioning in games, but I've had no problems using the stereo speaker setup exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back