Going to build an outboard PS for Sony D25s
Mar 31, 2003 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
I know the D25s runs on 9v and I intend to build an outboard battery power supply but mine isn't here yet and I'd like to know which plug and polarity to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 16
tigger, great idea!!

I wanted to do the same thing, but time is not on my side at the moment.
Tell me what are your plans for the PS.
Are you building it for portability??

edit: Tigger, i think this thread is best put in the DIY section?

Mar 31, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 16
akar, do you have some pics of your PS?
Or maybe a schematic that you could share??

Mar 31, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by danlaix
tigger, great idea!!

I wanted to do the same thing, but time is not on my side at the moment.
Tell me what are your plans for the PS.
Are you building it for portability??

edit: Tigger, i think this thread is best put in the DIY section?

Yeah I wasn't sure if the thread belonged in DIY or not. Anyway, my plan is to build an outboard battery powered power supply for my soon to arrive D25s. I'm thinking of two 9v rechargeables in an altoids tin.
I really like battery power for it's quietness and altogether it will cost virtually nothing since I already have the batteries and mint tin. I don't like the idea of the expensive Sony rechargeable battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 16
if you can, please post what parts you used and any pictures of your progress. Many of us have the D25S and would like something similiar but I am not experienced (yet) in electronics so I would be grateful for the details, that I may put together something similiar myself.

Apr 1, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
Yeah I wasn't sure if the thread belonged in DIY or not. Anyway, my plan is to build an outboard battery powered power supply for my soon to arrive D25s. I'm thinking of two 9v rechargeables in an altoids tin.
I really like battery power for it's quietness and altogether it will cost virtually nothing since I already have the batteries and mint tin. I don't like the idea of the expensive Sony rechargeable battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

The older Sony units have some power saving functions that operate when running off of the internal batteries. Those functions come back on using an external battery pack connected through the AC input. Any display lighting, remote capability, or other power eater will be operating. 9v rechargeables will last minutes under those circumstances. Even at a 200 mah rating, the best I know, you will be recharging daily. My external pack that I use with my D-303 uses eight 3000 mah C cells. I get a full day's playing out of it...but sometimes not two days
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 16
To get a 9V external battery, I took a four AA holder and a two AA holder and wired them in series and attached the battery holders together with double sided tape.

Then I took an old walwart with a plug that fit the D-25S, and snipped off the cord.
I attached the cord to the two battery holders, keeping the center tip negative.

The D-25S will drain power from an external battery even when the player is turned off.
The four AA holder has an on/off switch, so you can turn it off when not in use and prevent drain.
Here are links to the battery holders.
Four AA holder
Two AA holder

Pics of my external power source:
b-pack-1.jpg

b-pack-2.jpg

b-pack-3.jpg

Apr 12, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 16
I personally use the Radio Shack "Multi Voltage Power Bank" along with four NiMh batteries for my D25s. It works pretty well, and if your batteries run out and you have a nearby outlet, just plug it in, or swap the NiMh for alkalines. Of course, it's $40 plus batteries
eek.gif
and you don't have the satisfaction of making something yourself, which can be worth a lot more.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 16
you do realize that you can get betteries that fit the specification from third party suppliers. I personally am using a Li-ion battery that was manufactured by some company called Empire Scientific. It was a few bucks cheaper than the sony battery and seems to last longer on a charge and have no memory effect.

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by daxx
I personally use the Radio Shack "Multi Voltage Power Bank" along with four NiMh batteries for my D25s. It works pretty well, and if your batteries run out and you have a nearby outlet, just plug it in, or swap the NiMh for alkalines. Of course, it's $40 plus batteries
eek.gif
and you don't have the satisfaction of making something yourself, which can be worth a lot more.
biggrin.gif

Hi!

I live in Finland, and can not order the RadioShack Multi Voltage Power Bank, because they charge a double price for orders from abroad ($39.99 instead of $19.99
frown.gif
) and the shipping costs are enormous ($35 - It could really be sent in some cheaper way). If somebody could help me to get it with lower costs, this is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back