Going through a dilemma with the Sony MDR-1AM2
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 20
ultrasonic artifacts that the listener can't hear and response tests didn't bother measuring but were there and were affecting how the drivers moved (in short, technically speaking, it sounds different due to driver distortion).
So, what’s the deal with the 200, 300, 500$ DACs if the drivers can’t pick up the signals correctly. I am really curious now how you experience 24/96 tracks with your HD600s + DAC.:smile_phones:

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #17 of 20
Also, correct me if I am wrong here: The 1AM2s comes with 2 cables: a 3.5mm mini jack / microphone included, and a 4,4mm balanced conexion (to match up their line of walkman hi-res players). That said, maybe the drivers can’t pull out their full potential while using the 3,5mm connection, and that’s why on certain songs ''that require more power'' I can hear them biased to one side.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #18 of 20
So, what’s the deal with the 200, 300, 500$ DACs if the drivers can’t pick up the signals correctly.

What's the deal with people thinking fruit shakes will cure cancer? They can't according to scientific data, but people buy them because they believe they do.

If anything, in theory a planar or electrostat driver will have lower driver distortion even with the ultrasonic frequencies going through since the physics involved isn't prone to making such problems for the drivers' operation.

I am really curious now how you experience 24/96 tracks with your HD600s + DAC.:smile_phones:

I've tried several CDPs and DACs. Regardless of whether they claim to do ultrasonic frequencies or super high sampling or not, some of the DACs and CDPs imaged the bass drum in front of the vocals, one CDP gave Norah Jones sinusitis, and the best one in terms of imaging and tonal balance was the Arcam CD72. Which is basically a lot like the built in PCM2706 in my Meier Cantate.2.

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 20
@ProtegeManiac Thanks for the help. I think I might return them and wait for the MSR7b since they seem a more complete version in terms of cables and overall complements (and why not try another set) but I still have doubts about if there is a correlation or not exposed on my last post:
Also, correct me if I am wrong here: The 1AM2s comes with 2 cables: a 3.5mm mini jack / microphone included, and a 4,4mm balanced conexion (to match up their line of walkman hi-res players). That said, maybe the drivers can’t pull out their full potential while using the 3,5mm connection, and that’s why on certain songs ''that require more power'' I can hear them biased to one side.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 20

It's not really the song that requires more power, it's the drivers. If anything, if the song has good dynamic range or is a very busy track with a lot of instruments with considerable dynamic range going on, then they'd somewhat sound better with more power, but in that case it's not so much the increase in power but that you're getting a lot more current with lower distortion when you go from a cheap low power amp to a better one for example.

@ProtegeManiac Thanks for the help. I think I might return them and wait for the MSR7b since they seem a more complete version in terms of cables and overall complements (and why not try another set) but I still have doubts about if there is a correlation or not exposed on my last post:

It's still more of a matter of either the recording or the hardware is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back