Going round and round - Best fairly neutral headphones under $250
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Goobley

100+ Head-Fier
HI, 
I've posted in the recommendations thread several times and have also spent a long time over the past few months researching. I'm getting stuck though and the person who's gonna be buying me new cans wants to know what I want reasonably soon. I'll go through what I want out of these cans:

Currently using SRH440s, I'd like something new to impress me.

Genres: a bit of everything, classic rock, classical, progressive metal, jazz fusion, and acoustic folk are my main favourites.  

Looking for a fairly wide soundstage or at least decent separation between the instruments (to avoid groups like Dream Theater getting confused).

Fairly neutral presentation (slightly lively is fine but nothing over exaggerated) with tight bass, bass must not be sloppy, I like different notes!

I have amplification and am happy to use it (an amb CK2III and a 12AU7 SSMH).

These cans are almost uniquely for home use (university dorm counts as home).

This is where the troubles begin as I was originally looking for closed cans so that I could listen without disturbing others when working in the same room. I've now realised that I'm happy to keep my 440s for this (they've been recabled and I'm getting new 840 pads soon) - when I'm working I don't need top top max sound quality!

Budget; I said 250$ in the title as most users know the dollar prices better, I'm in europe and would like to keep it to 250€/200£ and if possible 200€

So give me your best shot; cans that are open or closed, very much high quality, can difficult to drive, that are rather polyvalent and go with as many of the criteria I've listed as possible (price is the only one that can't be forgotten!) and try and stop me being stuck on this dilemma.

Cheers,
Chris

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back