Going Grado
May 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bonobo

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have an itch to buy a new headphone, but first I need some advice. If you know that I already have a Denon 1001 (most used) and Denon 5000, would it be a good idea to go the Grado route?. I was thinking about a 225i for example. I'm mainly listening to electronic music, like The Knife, Fever Ray, Paul Kalkbrenner. But also pop music and a little bit of rock a la 'The Black Keys'.

Any suggestions are welcome, Grado or otherwise. That is, as long as they are different enough from my current headphones.

PS: I also have a portable amp, a Fiio E7.

May 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

I wouldn't go Grado for electronic when you already have a D5000. I have the SR60i, SR80i and SR325i along with my D5000 and while the Grados sound great and are fun, I'm not reaching for them for electronic music. I use them more for jazz and rock mainly. So you could still go Grado of course. But that said, I never really heard enough difference between the models of the prestige line to warrant buying more than the SR60i or SR80i, I would keep it simple and get one of those with L-cush pads and be done there unless you love Grado to the point of going high-end on them.

Very best,

May 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 13
+1 I wouldnt get the 225 for electronic music.  It'll sound good with rock and pop though

May 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 13
 I'd recommend two other electronic savvy headphones with a difference if you love your digital beats - The Ultrasone
 Pro 2900 and Signature Pro - the Sig Pro will be the most balanced of the two and it is more forgiving overall - any
 sub par recordings won't be as sibilant as let's say a Pro 900 or Pro 2900.

However, the Pro line will have more bass quantity overall - all except the Pro 750 which is actually not a bad
 balanced sounding unit in that line up. All Ultrasones like the Denons are relatively easy to drive.

May 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 13
The SR-225 aren't a bad can for Electronica, but there's potentially better options out there if you like bass. They get "crunch" and "edge" right, but don't have a lot of "thump" - I didn't mind mine for many genres. Lots less bass than your 1001s. I'd probably look at some other options as well; like Ultrasone. You might also consider the Sennheiser 600/650 or Sony SA5000 as well.

May 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 13
I listen to a lot of electronica as well, love my Grado 225i's,
and agree that the two are not a great match.

I've also had the SR80's, 125's, 225's, and 325is's - and
wouldn't recommend any of them for bringing out the best
in that kind of music.

Generally I like listening to electronica on closed cans.
Recently my headphone of choice for the genre has been the
Sony MDR Z1000.  (also available in a "professional" version
as the MDR 7520).

May 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm a huge fan of Grados, and I've even been getting more into electronica lately. The Grados are very detailed and bright, so you'll hear everything on the track. The drawback is that often times this sort of music really benefits from a deep low end, and while I will always tout the Grado bass as being very crisp and accurate (which I love about them), they aren't really bottom dwellers. On my PS500s electronica actually sounds quite good, but the bass and sound stage on them is a bit more than what you can get on the prestige line.

I recently picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350 portables, and I'm thoroughly impressed by them. They sound more like a smaller version of my T1s than they do my former DT880s, and the bass is very nice. Last night I was watching a Deadmau5 concert on Netflix streaming and the Beyers were rockin! I was switching back and forth between my SR80s and the 1350s, and I did find that I liked a bit more extension in the low end. This is exactly why I am a proponent of having more than one pair of headphones...for almost everything else I will reach for my PS500s, but in this area I do like what the Beyers do a little better.

May 19, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 13
 Ray and Rega? Don't mind if I do - this combination out of the box (read: stock for both) is a well chosen step on the path to reaching Grado nirvana.

Tested with both the RS1i and PS1000 - the results are more in favour with the PS1000, everything comes forward a few steps and the pace, rhythm
 and timing is to die for - just for note, HD800 and LCD3 on a Ref8 ALO cable were in the house - no competition - the PS1000 ran them over for Hi-Fi
 presentation like a big Mack truck at speed - natural, composed - no esoteric monitor highs (read: HD800), yes treble was well extended (LCD-3 is
 still trying to figure out what that is in the first place, it offers little anyway - like sweet extended treble? LCD-3 is below the high end mark, no sound stage
 apart from the trademark 'tunnel' presentation)

The PS1000 not work on every recording but just as a suggestion since we live in absurd times when people think all recordings are equal in mastering
 quality - here's a selection where it soars above everything else :-

Enrico Morricone - 'The Mission Original Soundtrack' - track name:- Gabriel's Oboe (track #3)

Frank Sinatra - Live at the Sands with Count Basie - track name:- One for my Baby, one more for the road'

Queen - Best of (no specific origin) - 'Don't Stop Me Now' (full WAV)

May 19, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 13
grado wouldn't be the best for electronic, but would be good for rock or anything of the sort.

if you listen to any rock, grado would be a good complement to  the denon

May 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I recently picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350 portables, and I'm thoroughly impressed by them. They sound more like a smaller version of my T1s than they do my former DT880s, and the bass is very nice. Last night I was watching a Deadmau5 concert on Netflix streaming and the Beyers were rockin! I was switching back and forth between my SR80s and the 1350s, and I did find that I liked a bit more extension in the low end. This is exactly why I am a proponent of having more than one pair of headphones...for almost everything else I will reach for my PS500s, but in this area I do like what the Beyers do a little better.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I might skip the 225i for my kind of music then, judging from the answers.
I must admit that I also thought about a portable like a Sennheiser hd25-1 II, even when I will use them at the PC for 90% of the time. Again, as long as they are different enough from my current headphones. Oh the choices :)

May 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I might skip the 225i for my kind of music then, judging from the answers.
I must admit that I also thought about a portable like a Sennheiser hd25-1 II, even when I will use them at the PC for 90% of the time. Again, as long as they are different enough from my current headphones. Oh the choices :)

Believe me, I love Grados and would love to encourage you to get some....for almost any other type of music I would  do exactly that. But given your music preferences you'll probably end up wanting a little more low end than what the prestige line will offer.  I'd consider the suggestion of Ultrasones that a few others gave you above...

May 19, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Believe me, I love Grados and would love to encourage you to get some....for almost any other type of music I would  do exactly that. But given your music preferences you'll probably end up wanting a little more low end than what the prestige line will offer.  I'd consider the suggestion of Ultrasones that a few others gave you above...

Seeing your first "headphone moment", i believe it all went quick, Focker! :)

May 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Seeing your first "headphone moment", i believe it all went quick, Focker! :)

When I put the 80s on my head, I was truly shocked. I can't imagine not having Grados around...other headphones may come and go, but I'll always have the Gs in  house :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back