going for Sennies 600/650?
Mar 23, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 34
thats why, at my home stereo, my dell connects through a proton preamp/DAC
biggrin.gif

and furthermore, my whole music collection on the dell are lossless flacs/apes ^__^

but now i'm really getting interested to the sony 3k ... >.<

choice isn't getting easier, it's only getting more difficult ^^;

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #17 of 34
Welcome to head-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

choice isn't getting easier, it's only getting more difficult ^^;

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 34
oook... i got this damn itchy feeling in my fingers... this is a bad sign.
rolleyes.gif

i just found a sony cd3k for 330€ ... new.

it seems like most in here value the sony over the sennies...
especially in that new cd3k thread ^_^.

so, any objections against a cd3k?
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by noir
it seems like most in here value the sony over the sennies...
especially in that new cd3k thread ^_^.

Nothing wrong with a CD3000, but I don't think the Most here seem to value it more than the Senns is even close to true, I think more value the Senns. But there are a lot of people that like the CD3000...

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #20 of 34
I own both ... um make that three (HD600/HD650/CD3000). I use both HD650/CD3K in my office.

Only precaution is that Senns (HD600/HD650) require an amp to work well, where as CD3K can be driven out of just about anything. Although CD3K sounds more dynamic driven out of headphone amp. Try "Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged" using CD3K... you WILL FEEL (and hear) every single guitar sting being slided/hammered/fingered.

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Only precaution is that Senns (HD600/HD650) require an amp to work well, where as CD3K can be driven out of just about anything. Although CD3K sounds more dynamic driven out of headphone amp. Try "Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged" using CD3K... you WILL FEEL (and hear) every single guitar sting being slided/hammered/fingered.

now that nearly decides it. that's what i love doing on my B&W's at home... listening to such details ^_^.

i also appreciate that they sound great without amps... for now.

I guess they still grow considerably if hooked up to the right equipment?

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by noir
I guess they still grow considerably if hooked up to the right equipment?

You bet!

I've heard the 580s, 650's and I own the Sonys and I can say for certain that IMO, the Sony's sound FAR closer to B&W's than the Senn's ever will.

I liken the Sony's somewhat like B&W, whereas Sennheiser is probably more like Tannoy, IMHO.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
You bet!

I've heard the 580s, 650's and I own the Sonys and I can say for certain that IMO, the Sony's sound FAR closer to B&W's than the Senn's ever will.

I liken the Sony's somewhat like B&W, whereas Sennheiser is probably more like Tannoy, IMHO.

You feel that way too? I think Tannoy and Sennheiser can have a close relationship.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 34
great! i guess i can't ask for more.

i guess i'll order them tomorrow (i took the habit to sleep a night over before buying stuff... saved me lots of money i think ^^)

mh... so one question for later... i am already eyeing at the Bench DAC1 (and to a little lesser extent to the Grace901, the PACE being a big unknown for me)
I wondered if those are alright as combo, or if (for example), i would need a seperate amp on the DAC1 to drive the sonys?

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 34
evil_smiley.gif
Welcome to TEAM CD3000
evil_smiley.gif

One of the primary reason I settled with CD3K was I am devoted ol' Infinity home speaker fan (the older Kappa models with EMIT tweeters). I've even installed three pairs of EMITs in my car and found my CD3K sound quite similar to my home/car system. I just LOVE extended smooth highs!

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

is it possible to hear every sound of the guitar string pluck and hammer on' with Sennheiser too? (hd600)

Yes, you DO hear them in Carda/Zu cabled HD600/HD650 but not as detailed and not as much separated as in stock CD3000K. FYI, I did a direct A/B comparison using Headroom's Max with Sony 777ES/Pioneer DV-45A as sources (using Eric Clapton/Heart Live in Seattle SACD plus many more).

For Senn, you need a GOOD amp to hear and feel the impact, where as Sony can do it right off my Yamaha receiver (RX-V2400). When CD3K is pair up with good amp, it sounds down right scary (using Headroom Max). You will feel like you are being bounced off in the air by each strock of guitar string. You hear details you didn't know it existed in the recording too.

Although I don't have Headroom Max anymore, I can still hear/feel impact with relatively affordable a Corda...in both HD600/HD650, but just more dramatic in CD3K. I found both Senn and Sony to be valuable phones for MY application and probably won't let them go even if I buy Sony R10.
Just my 4KB worth!

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #28 of 34
Great topic Noir. I'm faced with the same dilemma; HD600 vs. HD 650s. After this thread, and comments elsewhere, I'm leaning towards the 650s. The "laid back" character appeals to me, since most of my listening is acoustic rock, folk, opera, classical, and the like.

BTW, I didn't follow how you got on the Sony bandwagon. What convinced you?

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #29 of 34
Keep in mind that even the Senns should be much cleaner than the B&Ws... I would at least try to audition the HD600s just in case, since its unlikely you'll find a CD3000. Then you have a reference at least, and you may find you like it. Headphones are more forward and detailed than most speakers.

-jesse

Mar 23, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 34
noir...

...don't give up on the HD 650! With your musical taste I think it would ideally serve you. I would even say it is quite close to the sound of today's B&W speakers. It shares their cleanness and lack of obvious resonances and colorations. And it is very detailed, although not treble-emphasizing or spectacular in any way. But it's astonishingly fast and ultimately transparent for such a warm and smooth sonic signature, and apart from my electrostats it's the most realistic headphone I know (with Zu Mobius). I haven't heard the CD 3000.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back