Going for a big quality jump... looking for tips and recommendations
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the hd598, dt770/80, k540, and sr125 and those are the order in which I listen to them / like them.  Amp is only a total bithead, but really want a decent desktop amp / dac asap.

The 770 / 598 are interchangeable depending on music, but I mostly listen to classical / vocals with my headphones so the 598s are my favorite pair.  I'm looking for a big quality jump once I have the spare cash for it.  Trying to pick a set of high end cans and a decent amp for them, probably somewhere from $1k - $1.5k.

Right now I have my eye on the LCD-2s just because I've heard they sound so lush; however, because they're a new company I'm worried about their longevity, which is why I wonder if I should go with another set of cans, perhaps the T1.  I do want a big jump so I don't know if k701 / hd650 (my mid-range cans I have my eye on) would be enough, I'm sick of side-stepping and testing brands.  It's been an interesting experience and I like all my cans enough to hold onto them, but I just think it's time for a real upgrade.

idk of anywhere nearby where I can try these cans out so I'd love your input on which you think are best for me.  I like the warm sound of the 598s, though they're a bit too dry / airy.  One thing I really like about the k540, even though they are technologically inferior, is their timbre. The 540s really hit some great mellow tones and can have a nice crispness, they beat all my others when listening to the intro of Bromance by Avicii http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzbYiYHOUU.  That's the most noticeable example of this.  Dt770 are alright, but other than bassy music they're just not for me; not to mention, I don't listen to much bassy music with my headphones.  I just want a rich warm realistic sound with some nice "oaky timbres", lush and engaging, rather than dry and analytical.  Any input is greatly appreciated

tl;dr what I have in mind:

Cans:
LCD-2
T1
----
(if a quality jump would be noticeable)
Q701
HD650

Amps:
Bellari HA-540
Schiit -any-(depending on cans / best value)

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Sorry to bump, just want to get some guidance before this thread fades away too far... Really just need some pointers.  It's hard to make up my mind without actually getting to try these cans.  No where nearby me has a very big headphone selection, though I did get to demo Q701s at one place out of an HA540.  I liked them a lot, but still it's hard to determine if they are noticeably better without being at my own home with my own music.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 9
I feel like I'm checking back as much as you, OP. I've the same tastes in music as you and the same preference for how it is reproduced. My budget for my next set of headphones is not anywhere near yours, but the responses here could be very insightful for me. 

Sorry that this wasn't a recommendation :frowning2:

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Judging by the language in your original post, I'm thinking that you want something above and beyond the Q701s (which is the best headphone that I currently own right now).

If I were to upgrade from here one day, two models that have caught my eye include the Denon D7000 and the HiFiMan HE-500. Have you considered either of these?

Just trying to jump-start the conversation a little bit here to help you out... :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 9
I also think that you might consider the he500 with the lyr. This combo gets a lot of love around here. I owned it for a while and can say that the sound is quite good.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 9
LCD-2:s are pretty much a straight upgrade from sennheiser sound, but Im kinda bass head so HE500 might also be something to look for.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I feel like I'm checking back as much as you, OP. I've the same tastes in music as you and the same preference for how it is reproduced. My budget for my next set of headphones is not anywhere near yours, but the responses here could be very insightful for me. 

Sorry that this wasn't a recommendation :frowning2:

It's out of my budget too, I just want something to aim for.  I'm happy with what I have for now, but I'm done with sidestepping and I want my next purchase to be a serious one.

As for the HE500 I will add that to the list of considered ones I suppose... Though I hope they are made in Japan and not China (can anyone confirm?).  Normally I opt for German products, though only my dt770s were actually made in Germany.  That's one thing I hate about Senn, they outsource all of their productions, even the high end hd700 coming out will be made in Ireland (better than China but still I'd rather they be made in house).  Also for $700, I think I'd rather spend the extra to get LCD-2s / T1s anyway so... idk.  I just wish I could find some place to actually give some of these Bad Larries a listen haha.  Thanks for the input though.  So if I were to go with LCD-2, what's the best amping solution?  I know they aren't ridiculous to drive, but still would like good bang for buck since it'll be my first desktop amp.  I'd rather build my setup around a great set of cans, over a period of time.  HA540 price is attractive and I've heard they have plenty of gain, just want to make sure that'd be an okay choice to last me for a while.  If a Lyr / other is definitely the way to go then I'd have no problem paying a little more.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 9
So if I were to go with the LCD2s, is the Lyr the budget amp of choice?  I know they're not that hard to drive but I want to make sure I get something decent.  I hope to just be upgrading my source / amp components after I get the LCD2s, but as a good amp to start with and use for a while at a decent price (~500 or less is possible).  As I said I'd rather spend less so I can do this sooner and upgrade the components later.  I don't want to drop too much cash, because I know I'll be upgrading my gear eventually, just can't do everything at once.  Hopefully the LCD-2s suit me enough to be "end game" headphones for me.  I doubt I'll ever be dropping much over 1k on cans (I hope lol).

So really any amping suggestions would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back