Going Digital (photography)
Jul 20, 2003 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm thinking to buy a digital camera. After some research, my choice come to this 2 Canon s400 and Canon s50. I'm leaning toward s50 right now. The price difference justified the function and the megapixels. However the s400 is so sleek. Which one is better guys? I'll be using it more for potrait and landscape.

I also got some questions regarding digital.

What software are you using to edit the photo. I'm an pc user, probably most of you will suggest adobe photoshop, is there any other cheaper alternative guys?

Regarding printing photos, Do you print it yourself? if yes, what kind of printer and paper are you using? If you sent it to other place? Where do you send it too? How's the quality and pricing?
Any replies will be greatly appreciated

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 19
How important is size to you? Figure that out between the two models. Also consider the G series.

You've probably seen http://dpreview.com, but if not explore.

Cheaper software includes Adobe Elements and PaintShop Pro. Take a look at the latter first. About 80% of Photoshop at 1/5 the cost. I use Photoshop though and love it. Also take a look at Gimp for Windows. It is free.

I have a cheap Canon C80 Photo printer, but have used PhotoAccess.com may times and am happy with them. Give them a try.

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 19
I have a Canon S30. It's a nice camera but I liken it to an old pocket 110 film camera. Images appears very small especially for vistas. I can't seem to get close enough. The color and everything else is excellent.

I use Paint Shop Pro version 7. Hard for me to learn this program. I finally got to where I don't crash it after using it for 8 months. I wish I had gotten Adobe Elements. I may do so still.

For printing I have been using Sony's Imagestation website and I am very happy with them. I recently picked up a Canon I-850 printer and using the sample pack of photo paper pro they included, I got pictures nearly as nice as the ones I had done at Sony.

Jul 20, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Hi blessing, I've explored the dpreview, thank's for the suggestion though. I'm leaning on s50 right now but I'm going to bestbuy this weekend to compare them. The g series is just to big for me. The real drawback I have for s400 & s50 is no wireless remote. I mean come on, you can make a digital camera but you can't even think of remote for it , that's just stupid

I have epson stylus c80, but I never try it to print any photo though considering I don't have any digital camera
tongue.gif
so I don't know how is it compare to other printer? According to my research, most people either choose canon i850/i950 or epson 2200 but it seems that both of them have problems with the clogging ink, can anyone comment about this. How about those photoprinter, Sony DPP-EX7 or Canon CP-300 Anyone has them? How's their quality, paper & ink price?

I probably prefer to get them printed by a studio considering the price is not that expensive and not many hassles, but I guess we'll need our own printers though for some private pictures
very_evil_smiley.gif

btw this is my research from dpreview which probably useful for you guys
1. Bonusprint.com It seems many dpreview member use them and getting good review, it's cheap 4x6 18c per print and shipping fee is flat $1.99, they are using agfa paper, the drawbacks is they located in uk, and it looks like they don't use matte photo paper.
2. Adorama Good reputation, 4x6 29c each
3. Imagestation 4x6 29-39c each
4. ofoto 4x6 43-49c each
There are also some other place but it seems that these 4 have a good reputation, btw I don't know their quality.
wink.gif

Anyone can share their experience?

Jul 20, 2003 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 19
Best digital camera I've ever used is the Nikon Coolpix 990. Best digital camera I've ever seen is the Nikon D100. Screw the rest, get a Nikon.
smily_headphones1.gif
Never met a Nikon I didn't like.

For photo editing, Adobe Photoshop is unbeatable and if you send me an email I can direct you to a few places where you can get a copy.
wink.gif
wink.gif
*nudge* *nudge* If Photoshop is a bit rich for your blood than Photoshop Elements is also decent and slightly easier to use. A wide-format screen, or a dual monitor setup, is almost indispensable if you get heavily into digital photo editing, though not necessary for casual stuff. (it's a good excuse to get a Powerbook G4, though)

For photo printing the best printers are very very very expensive. But our aging Epson Stylus Photo EX works quite well, with a bit of tweaking. Or consider an Alps solid-ink printer, apparently they're absolutely amazing and insanely versatile. (they can even print conductive traces, IIRC.)

Jul 20, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 19
I don't know, this is just my two cents, but if you are planning on making prints with your camera, I would recommend a film camera or a digital that is 6 megapixels or above. Also, I don't really want to start a Nikon v. canon war, but I would say that the EOS 10D easily beats the D100...and if we are getting picky, well the EOS 1Ds makes it look like chicken feed, but it is 3 times the price. Perhaps I am not the person to ask, I actually went from digital to film, and I am extremely happy with this decision. I have a canon S30 and it is good for snapshots...color balance is nice and it has good features, but the flash gives me red-eye on 100 percent of photos, and the enlargements pale in comparison to film. Right now I am using a fully manual Canon New F1 which was discontinued in 1990. The lenses are far superior and you can actually use true wide angle and true telephoto (as in you can really manipulate depth of field). But, that is neither here nor there. For digital now, I would suggest the s50. It is not that big, the extra pixels will help and it will take longer to go obsolete. For printing, I would suggest sticking with a good professional photolab. They are using a printer that is far far superior to anything a consumer can afford, and assuming they have a good technician, it will produce much better prints. The true realm of consumer digital however is pictures that are mainly kept on the computer -- either on a website, in emails, or on the harddrive. For editing, your canon should come with Photoshop elements (or at least I think mine did...maybe I am wrong). If not, go and buy it. It is far superior to the ZoombrowserEX or whatever it is that they include. Well, I guess it didn't come with elements...oh well, just buy it, it is less than a hundred bucks, and even less if you get a student discount.

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 19
Check out The Imaging Resource for the ultimate in digital camera reviews and information.
Right now the Canon S50 is at the top of the heap. I've been doing a lot of research on digital cameras the last few weeks and was torn between the G5 and the S50 until I held each one in my hands. The G5 is just a tad too big for my needs. The S50 on the other hand. Although not the smallest digital camera, it is small enough for my needs, has all the fratures of the G5 less the flash shoe, remote and the ability to change lenses. I think the EOS 10D would be better suited for that. Now were talking serious money pit as I would have to have all those damn lenses, macro ring flashes etc.

Bottom line, for me the Canon S50 is the best choice. It has all the right features stuffed into a nice little well made package.

Jul 20, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 19
One more question guys, for canon user, what card are you using? How is the capacity and price? I'm considering to get IBM microdrive 1gigabyte, $209.00 from new egg, has anyone use this? Any comments?

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 19
Stock up on batterys. That little microdrive will suck them dry. I'd stick with CF memory. You can get a Sandisk 1GB card for $224.99 on Amazon.

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 19
cyberhazard, is the microdrive sucks more power than cf card, pricewise, microdrive cost less than the sandisk and it's made by IBM btw, but if it will suck more power, it's something to be consider.
Thank's for the head up about the battery, I think I'll get 2 spare battery, I'm thinking of buying the s50 from amazon, their price is $529.94, but currently they have a promotion and if you buy more than $250 on electronics, you'll get $50.00 on your next purchase .

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 19
My 320 meg Microdrive (this was before CF cards were that big) died after about 14 months. I think with the price drop and space expansion of CF cards, you should go that route.

As for the size difference, I found the leap from SX to GX minor compared to SXXX to SX (guess it depends on pocket size, etc.). Plus I like to use filters and an external flash. Your mileage may vary. Been a G1 user for several years now.

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 19
To get the price I listed above, go through the Sandisk site to get to Amazon. Otherwize it lists it at $299.

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 19
There is no reason to consider the microdrives when CF cards are that same price (or cheaper).

I have used both and besides the power consumption issues, the microdrives are very fragile.

Also be aware that CF has different speed ratings, but see haw fast your camera will write. It may not be worth it to buy faster cards.

Jul 20, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
My 320 meg Microdrive (this was before CF cards were that big) died after about 14 months.

Gee, That's sucks. Thank's for the info guys, I think I will buy the cf sandisk 512mb to spread the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back