Goign for my first awesome speakers and amp setup for pc need suggestions
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

The Super Zeros are very good. They will need a sub, though. Did you pick out your sub yet? 

No I have not yet.  But i did pick out my amp which will be the Emotiva mini amp.  Not sure how I would hook up a sub to the amp though.  One of the sales person said I would be able to hook up a sub using the RCA outputs but it would be an optimal solution as I wouldnt be able to control the volume of the sub.  The other solution would be to find a sub that has high level input and output and do it that way.   Would there be any difference in going those routes for a sub? or would it be better for me to get a different amp that has line in for the sub?

One sub I was looking at is the martin logan dynamo 300 found it on sale for $135 on audio advisor.

As for the speakers should i stick with the nht then? and get a sub sometime down the road? or would the xrm allow me to hold off on getting a sub right away?

what do you think?

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #62 of 77
Man, you sure change your mind a lot!

I have a pair of super zeros that I don't use anymore (sitting in a closet).  They are terrible without a sub, and just ok with one.  Very directional, and cold.  Speaker placement is extremely important.  

In my opinion, the pioneers are a lot better - much more musical.  The super zeros are much smaller, and they are heavy little suckers.  They have a nice glossy finish.  But sound wise, I'm far far more impressed with the BS-41s in every respect.  Anyway, I hope they work out for you.  Lots of people thought highly of the super zeros with a sub.  You may have gotten the newer version, which I have not heard.  Without a sub, the super zeros will sound very tinny.  There is no bass at all - ZERO.  

If you hook up a sub through your line outs, it will certainly be sub-optimal (like idiotic).  You need to control the volume of the speakers and the sub, and better yet control the crossover with proper bass management.  Using the high level speaker outputs into a sub with high-level inputs/outputs  will work, but it completely ruins the sound.  You really want to use the low level inputs and outputs.  At a minimum, you need pre-amp out, into the RCA inputs of the sub, and use the Sub's RCA outputs into the amp and out to the speakers.  Normally, that means separate pre and amp.  You also need a sub with RCA ins and outs - many subs are made to work with a surround sound receiver and not with 2 channel equipment.  If you have an integrated amp without a sub output or at least variable output it will never be right.  I've seen people use the headphone output, but that is amplified and not good to use.  These 2 channel Class D amps just don't work right with subs.  They are great for two channel audio, but you either need expensive separates or a receiver with bass management to connect a sub properly.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #63 of 77
From earlier in your thread

Quote:
For a sub, you would either

(a) Split the analog out from your computer and run it to both the Emotiva amp and the sub. You'll need to buy a sub that left and right RCA inputs (many do). Calibrate the speakers and sub to each other using the individual gain/volume controls on the sub and the Emotiva amp, and then use your computer volume to raise and lower the volume. Some DACs (for example, I think the Music Streamer II) don't allow for using using Windows main volume control to raise and lower the volume, only individual applications. So check your analog output and make sure you can control it that way if you want to go this route. 

(b) Buy a sub that has speaker level inputs and outputs (can be a little less common than subs with left/right RCA inputs mentioned above, depending on what budget range you are buying in). Then connect the Emotiva to the computer, run the speaker wires to the sub, and then connect the sub to the speakers. With this method, you calibrate the speaker with the sub by adjusting just the gain/volume on the back of the sub. Then you have the option of either controlling the volume from your computer or using the volume control on the Emotiva amp. 

Now I don't know what XRM is, but the Super Zeros are already -3db down at 85hz according to NHT's specs. They definitely have to have a sub unless you don't care much about mid-bass.

As for the Martin Logan Dynamo 300, it's $130 on Amazon.  I don't think that the NHT Super Zeros are a better speaker than the Pioneers, so I would put the money towards a better sub instead. Plus, because the Super Zeros require a sub that can produce good mid-bass, the need for a better sub is even more important with them than the Pioneers. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:
From earlier in your thread

Now I don't know what XRM is, but the Super Zeros are already -3db down at 85hz according to NHT's specs. They definitely have to have a sub unless you don't care much about mid-bass.

As for the Martin Logan Dynamo 300, it's $130 on Amazon.  I don't think that the NHT Super Zeros are a better speaker than the Pioneers, so I would put the money towards a better sub instead. Plus, because the Super Zeros require a sub that can produce good mid-bass, the need for a better sub is even more important with them than the Pioneers. 

Hi  guys, just received my nht speakers, now i am waiting on my emotiva amp to come in.  I still have the lapi amp do you guys think it would be able to power them?

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #68 of 77
Hey guys I just purchased the pioneer bs21 speakers since they were on sale for $40 and I was wondering if it is possible to wall mount these speakers?  the speaker itself dont have any wall mount holes or anything like that.  How would I go about wall mounting them on a wall?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #71 of 77
Hey guys I just received my bs21 speakers and What THESE BITCHES ARE ******* BIG. At first ithought they sent me the wrong model or something but What THESE ARE FREAKING HUGE compared to my SZ. I dont know how people use these for desktop speakers LOL. Which I am in a dilinma now, my gf desk is SMALL LOL and I assumed these were goign to be small lol.

Anyways time to compared the speakers lol

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #73 of 77
Yea, szeros are much smaller, although heavy lil suckers for their size. But man do those pioneers sound good. That's why the zeros are sitting in the closet.
Sent from my Nexus 7

Not going to lie these pioneers sound pretty dam good with the Lepai amp. the height doesnt bother me but the width it seems so wide sitting on a computer desk lol. I guess I will just either have the pioneers sitting in my closet or hooked up to the tv. but the pioneer setup would not be a bad HT starter system on teh cheap whenteh sub and center go on sale.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #74 of 77
Not going to lie these pioneers sound pretty dam good with the Lepai amp. the height doesnt bother me but the width it seems so wide sitting on a computer desk lol. I guess I will just either have the pioneers sitting in my closet or hooked up to the tv. but the pioneer setup would not be a bad HT starter system on teh cheap whenteh sub and center go on sale.

Wow your feedback is greatly appreciated as i am a serial T-amp set up guy ever since owning my 1st Lepai TA2020 and having not personally mated those BS21S with it, i was a tad worried about the BS21s being slighly inefficient for the TA2020 but i suppose for PC/near field it ought to do fine :D

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:
Hey guys I just received my bs21 speakers and What THESE BITCHES ARE ******* BIG. At first ithought they sent me the wrong model or something but What THESE ARE FREAKING HUGE compared to my SZ. I dont know how people use these for desktop speakers LOL. Which I am in a dilinma now, my gf desk is SMALL LOL and I assumed these were goign to be small lol.
Anyways time to compared the speakers lol

LOL

Best to always check speaker dimensions before ordering if placement size is an issue 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back