Go on then...list of HF-1 serial numbers
Sep 11, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #31 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
This was a rather good idea on the creators' part... say... take some overstock of SR225's, rehouse them in a slender slab of wood, manufacture the HF-1 detail and sell them to a bunch of headphone junkies on the web's biggest headphone forum. End result, ~$25 000 in revenue in less than 48 hours from launch. What more? It's a good opportunity for Grado to market itself to those who might not have purchased a Grado headphone otherwise. This is a great example of inventory management and a sound business plan.

I think that this is a win win all around. John and Todd get a boost in sales along with increased community awareness, we get a unique headphone at a discounted price, and Jude gets money to keep the site going (which makes everyone happy: John, Todd, Jude, and ourselves). One hand washes the other and we all come out winners.

Of course this didn't happen by itself. It took a lot of hard work from John, Todd, and others. And they will be rewarded for that work, especially for what they have done to help the community as a whole, and why shouldn't they be? What is good for Head-Fi is good for the headphone/audio community at large. I think that these two stand up guys, as much as anybody, understand that.

Anyways just some thoughts; daba sounded just a little negative to me, though I could be wrong. Yes, these guys are making a lot of sales today, I doubt Todd has ever had to take so many orders, but I don't feel cheated or taken advantage of. These aren't 'just' 225's with a head-fi button marked up to $300. This isn't some sinister marketing scheme. These are special phones made just for us with lots of love. Though I haven't heard them to judge I would guess that we are getting a $250 phone for $175 and it is only for us. How cool is that? This coming together of business & community is how it should be. This is what we should strive for. This is what sony, best buy & the other faceless corporations lack. This is why I love Grado Labs & ttvj.

Thank you Todd & John.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
Anyways just some thoughts; daba sounded just a little negative to me, though I could be wrong.

Well, he is buying a pair (#41) and somebody named daba is selling a pair of SR225's over on SilentPCReview. 'ya think there might be a connection?

FWIW, It is a brilliant bit of marketing and inventory management. Iff the rest of the VDC (manufacturing, distribution) can keep up with the demand. From what Todd said to me, he's never spent so much time on the phone.

-Patrick "I think we probably exceeded expected demand..."

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #33 of 531
Quote:

This was a rather good idea on the creators' part... say... take some overstock of SR225's, rehouse them in a slender slab of wood, manufacture the HF-1 detail and sell them to a bunch of headphone junkies on the web's biggest headphone forum. End result, ~$25 000 in revenue in less than 48 hours from launch. What more? It's a good opportunity for Grado to market itself to those who might not have purchased a Grado headphone otherwise. This is a great example of inventory management and a sound business plan.

I agree a great idea and it came through with success. I as a buyer am happy they came up with it. I'm telling you, that photo of the old painted SR-325 with the wood button is growing on me. looks pretty sweet! The fact that they are wood on the inside is cool too. Think Stealth Grado RS sound. I'm all for it!

we need a :HF1smile: !!
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
...Yes, these guys are making a lot of sales today, I doubt Todd has ever had to take so many orders, but I don't feel cheated or taken advantage of. These aren't 'just' 225's with a head-fi button marked up to $300. This isn't some sinister marketing scheme. These are special phones made just for us with lots of love...

omedon,

I'm not saying it is a "sinister" marketing scheme, but it is a marketing scheme nonetheless. The smart businessman always looks to invest in the long run. That being said, this gesture does increase the reputation of both Grado Labs and TTVJ amongst the hi-fi community. People love to be acknowledged and appreciated. Although this may be a big "Thank You" for us, the keen businessman launches a plan that is indeed a win-win situation. If you feel cheated, that is too bad, and if you don't, all the better for everyone.

Although this analogy may be a bit brusque, I believe it is the same principle. Say an oil company can reduce its taxes by refining 5 tons of oil a day instead of say 10 and thus reduce pollution. Perhaps the CEO of the company loves the environment. Then he has a win-win situation in his hands; he can not only benefit from paying less taxes but also can advertise that he is caring for the environment (which s/he may or may not) by polluting less.

What I'm saying is, as much as you feel like this was sent out with "lots of love," which it may have been, there's always another side to it -- a company will never execute a business plan unless they get a considerable gain out of it (at least for the amount of work they put into it).

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #37 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCan
Well, he is buying a pair (#41) and somebody named daba is selling a pair of SR225's over on SilentPCReview. 'ya think there might be a connection?

HEY! I told you to be quiet about that
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #38 of 531
Quote:

What I'm saying is, as much as you feel like this was sent out with "lots of love," which it may have been, there's always another side to it -- a company will never execute a business plan unless they get a considerable gain out of it.

They better! A business without profit as the bottom line won't be in business for long!

Head-fi isn't a charity case. We members can afford these cans (for the most part). But Jude needs all the donations he can get to keep this place running. Of course it makes good business sense to keep this place going - tho I bet most of Grado's sales from Head-fi are like a drop in the bucket. So yes, it's profitable in the short and long run for him, but there are other projects that John could have done that could have made just as much if not more cashola for less effort. The fact that he enacted his biz plan through head-fi is something to celebrate, because it means head-fi is gaining in importance in the eyes of those folks involved in our hobby.

So there should be no negative or downer when folks realize the biz aspect of it. We should embrace the win-win with the lovey-dovey imho.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #39 of 531
#122 here
smily_headphones1.gif

I was saving my pennies for PS-1s, but the exclusivity and uniqueness at that special price is so hard to say no to. Plus, I've been thinking of trying wooden Grados again after my failed affair with the RS-1.

So, anyway, here's some food for thought:

HP-1
RS-1
PS-1
HF-1

Need I say more? :wink:

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #40 of 531
BTW, forgot to mention, it was cool talking to you on the phone, Todd. You got my screen name reference right away. The Dan rules! Wish I could have chat a little more but I had to run.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #41 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookkeepers_son
BTW, forgot to mention, it was cool talking to you on the phone, Todd. You got my screen name reference right away. The Dan rules! Wish I could have chat a little more but I had to run.

Im a bookkeepers son

I dont want to shoot no one

Well I crossed my old man back in oregon

Dont take me alive

Got a case of dynamite

I could hold out here all night

Yes I crossed my old man back in oregon

Dont take me alive
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #43 of 531
Quote:

So Jahn, have you ordered one yet?

i have no caaaaaaaaaasssssshhhh...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back