Glove Audio A1 jacket DAC Amp for AK120
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #271 of 312
  Anyone else having problems playing 24/192 flacs on their glove a1?

Many optical implementations max out at 24/96. Maybe this is why.

May 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #272 of 312
Tried the A1 today for the first time, having held off for ages.

I have an AK120 modded to run either single ended or balanced (Music Sanctuary's excellent 'Mezzo Soprano' package). And while the modded balanced output has been an absolute joy by itself, there was a definite uptick in depth, soundstage and, notably, bass using the A1's balanced out.

For completeness, the single-ended sound from the A1 was better than single-ended AK by itself, but not as good as the balanced output on the modded AK120 by itself. However, the balanced output on the A1 was definitely better than balanced AK by itself.

After a 20-minute listen to my usual reference tracks, I'm probably going to get one. The overall size is still fairly portable and the music was even more enjoyable, which is enough for me.

PS: I used two of my IEMs - Earsonic Velvets and UM Merlin Universals. The shop lent me a balanced cable (my current balanced cable is a 3.5mm Headphone Lounge, so wouldn't fit the A1's 2.5mm socket). Fortunately I also have a 3.5-2.5 converter from Ted at Headphone Lounge (ordered in anticipation of getting an AK240, which I eventually decided not to buy).
All music files were 16/44 or better.

In summary: If you have an old AK120 then I reckon the A1 is a no-brainier, just for the improvement of going balanced. And I'm pleased (my wallet won't be) that the A1 still adds something even to an already modded, balanced AK120. A really cool little addition to anyone's collection, I reckon.

May 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #273 of 312
Tried the A1 today for the first time, having held off for ages.

I have an AK120 modded to run either single ended or balanced (Music Sanctuary's excellent 'Mezzo Soprano' package). And while the modded balanced output has been an absolute joy by itself, there was a definite uptick in depth, soundstage and, notably, bass using the A1's balanced out.

For completeness, the single-ended sound from the A1 was better than single-ended AK by itself, but not as good as the balanced output on the modded AK120 by itself. However, the balanced output on the A1 was definitely better than balanced AK by itself.

After a 20-minute listen to my usual reference tracks, I'm probably going to get one. The overall size is still fairly portable and the music was even more enjoyable, which is enough for me.

PS: I used two of my IEMs - Earsonic Velvets and UM Merlin Universals. The shop lent me a balanced cable (my current balanced cable is a 3.5mm Headphone Lounge, so wouldn't fit the A1's 2.5mm socket). Fortunately I also have a 3.5-2.5 converter from Ted at Headphone Lounge (ordered in anticipation of getting an AK240, which I eventually decided not to buy).
All music files were 16/44 or better.

In summary: If you have an old AK120 then I reckon the A1 is a no-brainier, just for the improvement of going balanced. And I'm pleased (my wallet won't be) that the A1 still adds something even to an already modded, balanced AK120. A really cool little addition to anyone's collection, I reckon.
So what is the improvement compare to the stock ak120?i find the stock to smooth..

May 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #274 of 312
The A1 has definitely a more weighty low end. but it's not just the bass, the entire sound spectrum seems to have a more authoritative presentation to it. this does not come at the expense of anything though. the stock ak120 can match the A1 only in clarity and lushness, but the A1 takes everything else up a notch.

if you don't have any space or weight considerations, the A1 is a pretty darn surefire upgrade to existing AK120s.

May 28, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #277 of 312
may be a daft question, but is there a correct order for powering up the AK and the Glove?

Yes that is daft :)

May 28, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #278 of 312
Finally got my Glove. Running it with an AK 120 and Earsonics Velvet with Wagnus balanced cable.
I like the AK120's warm sound sig, and the Glove just adds more punch. Strong showing so far (only two days).

May 28, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #279 of 312
  may be a daft question, but is there a correct order for powering up the AK and the Glove?

Yes that is daft
smily_headphones1.gif

When I power on the Glove before I power on the AK100 the mids sound more recessed and the treble has no sparkle. When I switch them on the other way around I get super flat, neutral and punchy sound I like.

So, as a real audiophile you will say: Yeah, that totally makes sense. I am just kidding of course. It doesn't matter, any of the endless 2 possibilities is fine. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #281 of 312
Hi everyone

I bought a glove a1 recently
its sounds very good with my ak120 titan

I want to ask that is there any difference between the ak120 and ak100 while using the glove a1 dac amp?
If no I think i would sell my ak120 and just buy a ak100 again

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #282 of 312
  Hi everyone

I bought a glove a1 recently
its sounds very good with my ak120 titan

I want to ask that is there any difference between the ak120 and ak100 while using the glove a1 dac amp?
If no I think i would sell my ak120 and just buy a ak100 again

I tried my A1 with a friends AK120 and couldn't hear a difference to my AK100. Also heard no difference between Ak100 and AK100 Mk2.

I would think if you never use the AK120 alone without the A1 - it would make sense to sell the 120 and get a AK100 as you use it as transport only.

Cheers,
K

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #284 of 312
  Actually I will use the ak120 for the usb dac
Unfortunately the glove a1 did not support the usb dac or even combine with the ak120...

Yes, that's true and such a missed opportunity from CEntrance - to make the A1 also a standalone DAC/Amp for Mac/PC since it has balanced outputs. I would love to use it this way too.

Cheers,
K

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #285 of 312

Yes, that's true and such a missed opportunity from CEntrance - to make the A1 also a standalone DAC/Amp for Mac/PC since it has balanced outputs. I would love to use it this way too.

Cheers,
K

Yes...the balanced output for the old ak product is the feature of the product
It quite disappoints me it cannot use as a usb dac
and if I want to use usb dac with my ak120 I need to remove the bracket with the spanner and put it again if I need to use the glove a1
Although the process is not complicated, I just think it is quite annoying

Also this makes me struggle about to purchase a balanced cable since I cannot use it for my computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back