Glove Audio A1 jacket DAC Amp for AK120
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #181 of 312
I was at Jaben an hour ago asking about the glove a1, although my ak100mk2 isn't here yet. I was quite impressed by it, sturdy construction and thoughtful design. Made out of aluminum and felt, so it felt top notched. I like that it has 2 balanced output, the kobiconn, which has been around for a long while and the 2.5mm one, which meant that it can be used with the other ak daps too.

The most important thing is that the overall size isn't too huge. From memory it is slightly bigger than an ak240, but it is ALOT more manageable than most stacks, since the dap is screwed in securely, and there is no other additional cables hanging about, the two main reasons why I don't use my current stack (iPhone+cck+c5d) without a bag.

Should I like the sound, I can forsee it being my end-all portable rig.

Would be good to hear your thoughts if you do. I'm in Sing as well and have the Mezzo Soprano AK120. The MS guys say the A1 won't make much difference as the signal is very clean. I may visit Jaben to try it.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #182 of 312
Quick question (as I don't recall the glove being able to do this from when I had it for a brief period of time) but can the glove be used as a portable USB DAC/amp when connected to a laptop? Moreso to have a portable balanced unit when on the road. Last I checked it couldn't be used as such but was wondering if it's a software thing that could potentially be upgraded in the future so that it can function as the AK units Can.

No.

Has no USB port, only one input - the male optical in. So anything you want to put in has to have a female 3.5mm optical output - or a special cable that does that but certainly would look weird.

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #183 of 312
Would be good to hear your thoughts if you do. I'm in Sing as well and have the Mezzo Soprano AK120. The MS guys say the A1 won't make much difference as the signal is very clean. I may visit Jaben to try it.

I guess the bigger differences will start to show up when you use more demanding cans, the glove audio should be better able to handle them.

With regards to iems though, it may boils down either to preference. Luckily for us, it is easily available for demoing.

I may get it with the Oppo PM-2 bundle, if I can find someone to take the PM-2

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #184 of 312
Quick question (as I don't recall the glove being able to do this from when I had it for a brief period of time) but can the glove be used as a portable USB DAC/amp when connected to a laptop? Moreso to have a portable balanced unit when on the road. Last I checked it couldn't be used as such but was wondering if it's a software thing that could potentially be upgraded in the future so that it can function as the AK units Can.

I have the same question... Of course the A1 won't work as a USB Dac by itself, but can you use your AK as USB Dac while is attached to the Glove A1?
Thanks.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #185 of 312
I have the same question... Of course the A1 won't work as a USB Dac by itself, but can you use your AK as USB Dac while is attached to the Glove A1?
Thanks.

Ah, I see, you want to use the AK100 as a USB to Optical converter and the Gloveaudio to be the DAC/Amp.

No, won't work. Just tried. While the AK100 accepts the signal from the USB port, nothing is transported via the optical out.

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #186 of 312
Ah, I see, you want to use the AK100 as a USB to Optical converter and the Gloveaudio to be the DAC/Amp.

No, won't work. Just tried. While the AK100 accepts the signal from the USB port, nothing is transported via the optical out.

Cheers,
K

Thank you for test it :). Knowing that, I may go for the Mini M-8 instead, So I can use it with my AK100, iPod Touch, and PC.
Cheers,
Ricardo.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #187 of 312
For owners I found a perfect little case for the combination. A Lowepro Santiago DV35. It's a fabric covered hard shell case which has enough room for the glove/AK and a small pair of IEM's. It comes with a carrying shoulder strap as well so if you set your player on playlist it can be nicely tucked up and safe whilst your listening on the move. What's really good as well is that the ends are rounded which leaves a nice little gap at the top and bottom of the combo which prevents the gloves on/off switch being accidentally activated!
Below are some images.

0cbabd42bd146f70e0ca70cb2367d21e.jpg

I want to pass along my thanks for this recommendation...I got myself one of these cases and it is perfect!In addition it has a flap that lets me put my shure 846 inside as well!Great find and much appreciated!

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #188 of 312
Would like to check, can the AK daps be removed from the Glove A1 on the fly? Or will you need a screw driver? Just wondering if I'm out of the house and the Glove runs out of battery, I can remove the AK and listen to it headphones-out.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #189 of 312
The AK can't be removed without the screw driver. I do however think you'll enjoy the A1 so much you'll find a way to make sure it never runs out of charge!

How much does Jaben's PM-2 + A1 bundle work out to btw? When I bought mine they had a bundle going at 1600 SGD odd with the SE846 and a balanced cable. Was waiting for the PM-3 to come out since its a fair bit cheaper. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #190 of 312
@xuan87

no you cannot remove it on the fly. the accessories include screws and the wrench that attaches to/ tightens the bottom bracket to the main A1 frame.

anyway, the GloveAudio A1 is seriously good, that much is clear from my short listening session. it hovers at the DX100 level of performance, superceeding it on some counts. better than the stock ak120 and way above the ak100 standalone.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #191 of 312
  The AK can't be removed without the screw driver. I do however think you'll enjoy the A1 so much you'll find a way to make sure it never runs out of charge!

How much does Jaben's PM-2 + A1 bundle work out to btw? When I bought mine they had a bundle going at 1600 SGD odd with the SE846 and a balanced cable. Was waiting for the PM-3 to come out since its a fair bit cheaper. 

I'm not sure if it's right to post the bundle prices here but they currently have 2 bundles, one with the AK100 and Beyer DT1350 (which can be seen from the Facebook page) and one with the Oppo PM-2, which should be the one I'm getting. The discount works out to be around 20%, I believe.

@xuan87

no you cannot remove it on the fly. the accessories include screws and the wrench that attaches to/ tightens the bottom bracket to the main A1 frame.

anyway, the GloveAudio A1 is seriously good, that much is clear from my short listening session. it hovers at the DX100 level of performance, superceeding it on some counts. better than the stock ak120 and way above the ak100 standalone.

I haven't heard the DX100 before, mostly seen people here comparing the Glove to the AK240. I'll be mostly comparing it to the JDS Labs C5D which is what I'm using currently, and the AK100II, which is in a similar price range to the AK100 + Glove Audio.

But with many saying that it's almost at the levels of the AK240, I'm expecting great sounds from it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #192 of 312
No matter what I connect to the Gloveaudio A1 everything sounds so much better. Even my HE-400. And I don't have the balanced cables yet. It's sort of scary, how much nicer, clearer and more powerful everything sounds. Makes me wonder how bad the AK100 is by itself?? This is really a must have upgrade for sure.

Will do some more comparison testing tomorrow with a friend versus 901, AK120 and the other contenders. But honestly, so far I doubt there is any headphone where the A1 doesn't make a difference.

Cheers,
K

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #193 of 312
Anyone used the glove audio A1 with a pelican case? Just thinking that a pelican case might be the easiest to get in Singapore. The 1010 case almost fits (length is a little short), same for the 1015 (this time, it's the width that's just a tiny bit too short while the length has too much give), while the 1020 case fits, but I feel has too much space all around and I don't really want the A1 to move and bump around the case.

EDIT: On second thoughts, the 1020 with interior foam will give much better protection compared to the 1010 or 1015, as the foam will serve to absorb shock, or else any shock will just travel through the case and rubber seal directly to the A1.

Will go down to Jaben tomorrow to test it out. I'll have to borrow their AK DAP though since mine hasn't arrived yet.

Just to check, the A1 only contains a single DAC chip right? I was hoping for 2 (1 per channel) but their official website is surprisingly light on specs and details.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #194 of 312
Using the 1020 as well. Also throw in some rather bulky cables and my CIEMs in there too.

The all black 1020 has padding on the roof of the case too unlike the transparent cases so while the A1 will move around, it doesn't make too much noise since the case is well padded all over.

Not sure about the exact specifications. They're quite tight with the information. I've got a feeling the A1 is produced in the same facility that makes Jaben's other house brand products. They usually reveal very little on GoVibe and other such products.

Its all in the implementation though, so I'm not too worried about what's in there.

Will be right near Jaben tomorrow, need to RMA a pair of the Audeze LCD2s, two week wait for my HE-4 to come back from China and I've sold my CIEMs. Great DAP no cans, so annoying!

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #195 of 312
Using the 1020 as well. Also throw in some rather bulky cables and my CIEMs in there too.

The all black 1020 has padding on the roof of the case too unlike the transparent cases so while the A1 will move around, it doesn't make too much noise since the case is well padded all over.

Not sure about the exact specifications. They're quite tight with the information. I've got a feeling the A1 is produced in the same facility that makes Jaben's other house brand products. They usually reveal very little on GoVibe and other such products.

Its all in the implementation though, so I'm not too worried about what's in there.

Will be right near Jaben tomorrow, need to RMA a pair of the Audeze LCD2s, two week wait for my HE-4 to come back from China and I've sold my CIEMs. Great DAP no cans, so annoying!

Great tip on the padding on the roof, that will be very useful.

I think when it comes to DAC, implementation is everything but I can't stop thinking that a well implemented dual DAC circuit will give better balanced performance compared to single DAC.

Hope to see you at Jaben if you decide to pop by! If you see a guy testing the Glove Audio, it'll likely be me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back