"Gladiator" Soundtrack Addict
Jun 26, 2001 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41
Is anyone else here addicted to this soundtrack? I listen to it from beginning to end at least five to seven times per week (for the last several months).

Tracks three, six and nine come to mind right now as a few of my favorites. Track seven and eight too....awww heck, I like the whole dang thing.

Even if you hate it, your comments would be welcome (and interesting to read).

Jun 26, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 41
It's pretty good, though I haven't listened to it in awhile. Thanks for reminding me, I'll do that later tonight!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I don't have it. Maybe I'll look into this one too. Aren't there 2 soundtracks that came out?

Yes, there are two. But I'd definitely suggest the actual motion picture score first, titled Music From The Motion Picture Gladiator.

I have both, but buy the score first, and then if you like that, buy the one titled More Music From The Motion Picture Gladiator.

Jun 26, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 41
Jude,

Which one has the haunting composition at the end when Maximus is about to die?

Thanks!

Regards - reynman

Jun 26, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 41
There is something about this CD that I find almost addicting. Maybe its the way it sounds through the headphones. I don't know if it would have the same effect on me were I to listen through my speakers. I would still like it, but I don't know if I would listen to it as often as I do. I also use it for one of my test discs.

More Music from the Motion Picture Gladiator is good, but I don't find myself needing a "fix" of that one. I think I've listened to it 3 or 4 times since I got it. The dialogue in it is kinda cool.

Jun 26, 2001 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 41
Yeah, I think it's good, but not as good as some magazine reviews lead me to believe. Still, at NZ$10 (about US$4.20) for the CD it's pretty hard to complain!

Jun 26, 2001 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 41
I have not listened to the Gladiator soundtrack on CD but now that you mention it, I think I'll buy it on my way home from work., However, that movie was one of the reasons I've spent several thousand dollars on home theater equipment (which is probably also responsable for my rather low GPA).

That soundtrack is amazing. It is so exhilirating to listen to, and the way he incorporates so many different styles of music is incredible. I would recommend watching the interview with him on Disk 2 of the Gladiator DVD, it is very insightful into how he works.

Are you familiar with any of Hans Zimmer's other soundtracks? There are a lot of melodies from Gladiator that sound a lot like some of his other movies like The Lion King and Backdraft. What did you think of the music from Pearl Harbor? I didn't think it was up to par with his work on Gladiator. Well, that's my $.02, I'd like to see what eveyrone else thinks.

Oh yeah what is on that "More music from the Motion Picture Gladiator" CD? Is it also composed by Hans Zimmer?

Jun 26, 2001 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 41
Mostly stuff that didn't make it into the movie. Neat notes on each track and why they didn't use it.

Also, there's movie dialogue mixed into some of the tracks, which, as a fan of the movie, I actually enjoy.

Quote:

Originally posted by grrr223
Oh yeah what is on that "More music from the Motion Picture Gladiator" CD? Is it also composed by Hans Zimmer?

Jun 29, 2001 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 41
I just bought the CD the other day and really like it alot. I have never listened to just the music so closely, it's very powerful. I have the seen that movie so many times now that I know exactly what's going on on the screen just by listening ot the music, and it's like imagining it all over again every time I listen to it.

My one problem with it is that the dynamic range is so great that on the quiet parts (basically the beginning of every track) are sooo quiet that I honestly can't here them at all while playing them on my discman in my car, and then with the volume turned up to hear the quiet parts, the loud parts (which are VERY loud) become deafening. I guess the compressed the dynamic range on the movie, or maybe it's just that my HT setup is better than my car stereo.

In any case, it's a great CD. I can't wait for my HD600s to arrive so I can listen to it in detail.

On an unrelated note, I also bought the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, a lot of nice old blues tunes, too bad the Soggy Bottom Boys don't have their own CD
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by grrr223
On an unrelated note, I also bought the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, a lot of nice old blues tunes, too bad the Soggy Bottom Boys don't have their own CD
wink.gif

I love the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack! It is the reason I started listening to bluegrass music. Jack's uncle (Jack is a Head-Fi'er and one of my business partners) -- who plays bluegrass music -- upon hearing of my newfound love of that music, went home and sent me a boatload of great bluegrass CD's!

The OBWAT soundtrack also has a bunch of other not-necessarily-bluegrass music on it too.

P.S. I'm glad you're enjoying that Gladiator soundtrack. It is quite dynamic.

Jun 30, 2001 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 41
Boy the Motion Picture soundtrack is ausom on both Headphones and speakers able to capture the Bottom octave well. I havent heared the CD but The Laser disc and DVD sound splendid to me The Might of Rome will Shack your house. Strangly enought the Laser disc had alot Better Bass than the DVD. Maby the Difference is the Players, I thought DVD was state of the art, but from what i have Seen so far i will not give up my Pioneer laser disc to only DVD as i planed to so must Use both. Will try the CD and report.

Jun 30, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 41
LaserDisc is actually better quality than DVD (at least those LDs manufactured today). DVD uses both video and audio compression, whereas LD does not.

Jun 30, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

More Music from the Motion Picture Gladiator is good, but I don't find myself needing a "fix" of that one[/B]

Aahahah interesting way to put it.
tongue.gif

I have that need with 2 CDs I own (out of 600):
-God Shuffled his Feet (Crash Test Dummies)
-In these crowded streets (Dave Matthews Band)

Both for the awesome sound engineering. (I'm sick of the Dummies by now and I think Dave has no voice and lame lyrics). Just can't stop listening to them. It's headphone benchmarking material.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for more of that "stuff". Perhaps I should try the Gladiator soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back