Giving a speech about head-fi.....
Apr 22, 2007 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Tomorrow for my public speaking class we have to give a speech about something we are "expert" on. I figured I could do it on either baseball, piano, computers, or audio. I chose audio because I think it's the most universal theme; EVERYONE likes music and can relate to love of it, and it lends itself to visual aids nicely (RS-1's, SF5P's, portable amp, etc).

The speech has to be seven to fifteen minutes long. From my past experience, about 12 to 13 is about the perfect length in terms of attention span.

Right now I plan on starting with the basics; I don't want to make this sound like voodoo, these people think Bose is good. I'm going to approach it from a logical standpoint; explaining that we can hear from 20hz to 20000hz, and that Apple's ibuds simply don't let us do that - you're not hearing all of the music. I'll explain that once you hear music through a good system, you're in for a lifetime of enjoyment that you just didn't even know existed previously. Then I'm going to go into the three different parts of a system that can achieve our goal - the source, an amp, and the headphones. I'll explain that Bose doesn't quite reach our goal, and I'll also talk a little about the good budget stuff as well as the high end stuff, explain the concept of diminishing returns. I'll explain the difference between open and closed, as well as buds and true iems. As for the required audience interaction, I'll have someone from the audience come up and listen to a Binural recording off of the Ultrasone track and I'll ask them where the sound is coming from - every time I've done this with someone before they usually grin and can't believe it.

What else should I talk about? We already gave speeches about ourselves, and nearly every person in the class mentioned music as being a big influence in their lives, and most of them care enough to buy cans that they think are good (low end sony and phillips stuff), so it should be a receptive audience. I think as long as I don't make it too technical and keep it personal it will go over quite well.

Any other ideas?

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 20
If you're doing a speaking class, then you know humour is important in terms of engaging with your audience. I would bring this in with the money side of things, when you talk about diminishing returns maybe.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 20
pm a few eccentric users and ask their permission to be featured in your presentation. be sure to explain vacuum tubes, your melos will help with that. perhaps give away a few koss ksc75 to spark some interest among your peers.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 20
Don't tell tem about how much money people spend here or else they'll think that were all crazy.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 20
I have to write a speech thats due next week, and its about how the media should be restricted. I've thought it all out n all, but I'm probaly going to hold up to the last min and write it the night before because I like to run with scissors. My suggesetion is to not put it off to the last min, and to write down all of your key points and some info on them.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IRunWithScissors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to write a speech thats due next week, and its about how the media should be restricted. I've thought it all out n all, but I'm probaly going to hold up to the last min and write it the night before because I like to run with scissors. My suggesetion is to not put it off to the last min, and to write down all of your key points and some info on them.

Is this a plug for something I don't understand?
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 20
No I don't think so.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pm a few eccentric users and ask their permission to be featured in your presentation. be sure to explain vacuum tubes, your melos will help with that. perhaps give away a few koss ksc75 to spark some interest among your peers.

cause obscure references of members of an online forum is sure to please....

I can imagine your speech is going to go downhill fast if you start making references to "eccentric" users that no one else knows. Keep it simple and general. Don't focus on bose bashing as much as giving information about headphones in general. A great demonstration would be to prepare a sample of a popular song everyone knows, one that is purposely overcompressed and audibly distorted and clipped, and another clean sample. Play them both over some sort of decent stereo and ask people what the differences are. Since LOUD seems to be the selling point these days you can point out what the current ipod buds sound like when you try to drive them hard, and what real headphones would sound like. Then you can recommend some budget headphones, BRIEFLY mentioning bose.

No one is going to pay attention if you start talking about source->amp->headphones and how to improve them. However I would be much more inclined to listen if you analyzed a sample of music with the class pointing out the deficiencies and how they are similar to what you can hear from the ibuds.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 20
tell them the preferences of people here
tell them just how far head-fiers rate the "good music, players, headphones" rate what they think is good, and what we think is good

show them sheets of statistics. numbers, graphs, charts. BUT DON'T delve into these. you dont want them to be bored. just tell the summary of it. if someone questions the integrity of your report, then go back to these graphs, statistics and charts. that ought to keep them quiet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back