given the choice, is it "preferred" to run coaxial or optical from CDP to dac?
Dec 4, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly (?) my experiences have been different. Coax is "theoretically" better, but I have always prefered optical - it sounds better to me.

Same experience here, for the record, I use so called "medical grade" glass cable.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same experience here, for the record, I use so called "medical grade" glass cable.

and whereabouts do you get that (if u dont mind my asking lol)?

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 25
Usually coax sound better, but sometimes with some DACs and CDPs I like optical better. Try both and pick what you like. You will get 200 different answers and all of them will be true it depends on people and equipment, only trust your ears
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually it's "preferred" to run nothing from CDP to DAC...

If cables make so much difference, then the ultimate solution is the elimination of the cable.

EK

Very true. This is one reason people will buy a very high-end CD player with a DAC built in.

Personally, I would rather buy a separate DAC and CD player and put them in one box and hardwire them together before I'd spend $13,000 on a single cable.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of smart ass answers, why don't you try a few different cables and see for yourself.

"Smart ass"?? Was it not obvious that he was being funny? I thought it was...

Laz

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #25 of 25
I use my Cambridge 840c as a DAC and cd player. I can definitely hear a difference between a cd and its flac counterpart. I suspect something was lost during the ripping process, the digi-out of my Edirol ua1-ex ain't up to scratch, or the cheap ratshack optical>toslink cable isn't quite doing its job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back