give up on foobar2000
Jan 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

fran

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've given it a good shot, but I'm just sick of trying to get foobar to work well. I've downloaded shedloads of skins and followed instructions but everytime I still have issues. Like when I get an error msg when I shut it down. Or when it displays some albums split up because of how it handles tags for various artists albums.

I'm bloody sick of it, so I'm packing my tent and going back to the warm enfolds of windows media player 11 which does it all right out of the can and more besides!

good luck, good night and goodbye

Fran

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 53
Sorry to hear that.

My office was closed for two weeks and I spent almost all of it tinkering with and customising a config only to abandon it for a better one. If that sort of nonsense doesn't crank your turn, you probably made the right decision.

Foobar is god's gift to late night tinkerers. But it makes us jealous of the real programmers.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 53
only visual settings i changed were the colours of the playlist
wink.gif

i have no need for flashy animation or album art when i'm just playing music in the background

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 53
Generally, as long as your various artist albums are well tagged (using the album artist tag most importantly) it should stay together if you have the right setting or downloaded a half decent 'album mode' fcs.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, as long as your various artist albums are well tagged (using the album artist tag most importantly) it should stay together if you have the right setting or downloaded a half decent 'album mode' fcs.

I would like to understand this. Should 'Album artist' therefore be set to Various?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question. Yes, that's what you meant. Thanks! (Another problem solved...)

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 53
If youre looking to rename full albums, you should get mp3tag. It retags other file types besides mp3. It has access to discogs.com and Amazon album databases so its just as easy as clicking around. I use it everytime I rip a CD to my hard drive, it tags em all in one shot and even does the file names.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 53
I'm not real hardcore about foobar... but I love it. my design is simple, it has a playlist like iTunes, a search bar, and album art. Looks and works like iTunes, but much faster and better. I love all of the options, such as kernel streaming and the DSPs.

It hasn't crashed on me... so I'm happy about that. It is frustrating in the beginning though, gave me headache upon headache, setting everything up.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If youre looking to rename full albums, you should get mp3tag. It retags other file types besides mp3. It has access to discogs.com and Amazon album databases so its just as easy as clicking around. I use it everytime I rip a CD to my hard drive, it tags em all in one shot and even does the file names.

Interesting. I only had a few compilation CDs and it was easy to do it in Foobar. EAC is getting my tags to this point from FreeDB and it's pretty good (not perfect). I'll take a look. thanks.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 53
The only thing i'd like about foobar more than what i already have is just a bigger visualization of the files playing.. I've seen some on peoples foobar setup how do you do it? Or get a different visualization?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh, man - mp3tag is da bomb! i love it and it is free! it just plain works and makes sense how it works. i've paid a chunk of change for software that isn't this good. uh... can you tell i like mp3tag?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing i'd like about foobar more than what i already have is just a bigger visualization of the files playing.. I've seen some on peoples foobar setup how do you do it? Or get a different visualization?
rolleyes.gif

I just spent the last day or so pursuing this very topic. In short, we're out of luck. They changed the entire visualisation api when they moved Foobar2000 from v.8 to v.9 which stopped all existing plugins from working. It p*ssed off all the developers so they took their respective balls and went home. (And Foobar isn't where the money is; apparently it was 4% of the downloads for GForce). All the configs that you are looking at with cool visualisations are old v.8.

EDIT: If you just want the Spectrum Analyser bigger, make it a panel in Columns UI rather than including it in the toolbar.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 53
i'm not a savvy software and programmer stuff and getting all the nice look and image for foobar was a pain so i didnt bother either.

beside i dont care about my album art displaying and nice color text. i put on some songs and minimize the player and goes doing something else.

my biggest problem is winamp playlist and foobar playist both has something good and something bad about it. neither is perfect.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 53
I use foobar and love it, but I don't really mess with the look aslong it does what I want. album list panel + columns ui = good enough for me. However, one thing that is REALLY disappointing about foobar is it's media library, it's so god damn slow, it doesn't react to folder changes, instead it just rescans the whole damn folder again. It's by far my biggest gripe.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considered using iTunes with Foobar passthrough?

Yeah,
- "complexity" is the word that comes into mind w/ Foobar alone
and
- "complex mess" w/ iTunes + Foobar combination

Does this combination work after next update for Fb2k or iTunes? Do you need to re-build everything again after next Fb2k update? How long do you need to wait those "3dr party" plug-ins after updates, etc.?

I don't know what for do you all choose the player ... I choosed it for to get music stored in HD outputted through Headphones or/and Hi-Fi system and that's all (while listening through headphones, I won't stare the graphics flying around the screen ... I rather surf the internet or do something else or just sit and listen ... and when I output through Hi-Fi system, I mostly use to sit and enjoy of the music).

Even I have 2 versions of Foobar installed ... do you think I use them? Well, maybe sometimes when like to try functionality for some VST plug-in. My only active player ATM is the Native Instruments TRAKTOR BeatPort Player and because of it does everything what is needed w/o need for additional/continually customizations, etc. ... I think I'll keep it until there is some better player available.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back