Girlsfriends upset at how much i spent on my headphones
Nov 4, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #76 of 92
i forgot all about this post, read all the comments, very good points.
lol.

shes angry at me again, just bought a snowmobile tonight. but i made sure it was a 2 up (2 seater) so she can ride with me :) i did the right thing right?. about disposeable income, yeah we have quite a bit. we both have jobs, i pay all the bills, i get 2k from the army every month to for college for rent, i also receieve 1228 a month for rest of life for compensation from military injuries. so... yep. disposeable? definately- however, there are some investments, i own a home in ohio. granted, i got it off my family. still i consider it an investment. i just want to have fun, and i know she does to. i respect her wishes, and this has been the first real big purchase since this thread was made of buying those 2 headphones, (which i use everyday) i must add, i use the v-modas at college, they just stay in my backpack in there little exoskeleton case and my denons stay at home by my computer that i listen to music with. i am very happy with both of those purchases, and i wont be buying anymore headphones these are great for me for now.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #77 of 92
Sometimes i wonder how i got so lucky. Girlfriend as of a year and half is an audio student, and easily understands my desire about spending money on headphones. Hell she probably knows more about audio than i do too. Shes a nerd, plays ps3, likes my music, and hers isnt bad(not me is all), likes the same cars i do, pays for meals every now and then(score!). And thats not nearly everything. So yeah i agree with armaegis. (his post made me think of how lucky i am)  

Also Freedom, may wanna try this but, maybe ask her or drop a hint about large purchases beforehand? My dad does the same thing sometimes after he gets back from his tours in the middle east, and kinda feels the need to spend.(Bought a truck and cow((we live in texas))without telling her, as you can imagine Mom was mad). 

Then again, some people like to have a VERY large buffer zone in case of emergency. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #78 of 92
oh i told her i was looking at a snowmachine, and she said she wont ride. but i am going to change that, she grew up where atv's are banned etc so she is afraid of them in general. shes a good girl. love her to death, we get along 150% of time. but yeah, lol i know why, its because its alot of money and she doesnt make a lot, she tells me sometimes that she feels worthless and i had to reassure her that she isnt, she works hard and yeah the pay is low. but thats her money to use, i have 2 bank acounts, 1 is for me, 1 is for both of us. she has her own as well, and like, i dunno. theres raelly nothing i can do about it. we both have jobs to pass time,

im not bragging but this is pretty much how it works with us, she works at subway and a fitness gym part time since shes college student, and i full time college student, *we have to pay for her college which is not a big deal really isnt* but army gives us 2k for rent every  month while im in school and pays for my school. rent is 1k, so 1k, i get 1228 a month free - i work part time 25 an hour at masonary shop cutting marble etc, and like, i work hard to make sure we have everything. her money is really just play money but she said long ago that she would get a job and help us out. just weird, cant wait to take her snowmobiling for the first time, (snow is on ground in alaska) but not enough and or safe enough to go snwomachine really, theres already been people falling through thin ice on lakes, people are stupid. really are.

cliffnotes monthly finance statement. pretty sure, that she stop worrying, we are covered really are. and ^^ guy above, sounds like you have one hell of a girlfriend, her and i listen to none of the same music, but it makes it interesting.
+2000army
+1228army
+1000my part time job
+500her part time job
-1000 rent
-300 phone and insurance for car.
-500 food etc...

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #79 of 92
Those "don't question how much I spend on audio gear, and I wont question how much you spend on shoes!" comments amuse me. But then, I've spent more money on audio gear and other assorted electronics than I've ever spent on clothes.

Personally, my girlfriend has been angry with me over stuff like purchases not so much because she "doesn't get it" but because of a lack of communication. It's not that I've spent money on a hobby her "female mind" can't comprehend, but rather because I made a large purchase without asking her about it. She would have probably agreed to let me spend the money, too. She's nice like that.

And yeah, I get a bit bummed because I, in turn, feel like she doesn't trust me. Like I'm not competent enough to make financial decisions on my own. Especially when it's my money.

But then I realize I'm an adult, not a child, and I've CHOSEN to enter into a relationship with this person. The money I make isn't just for me, but it's also for us as a couple. She contributes as well. When she wants to discuss purchases with me, I like to think it's not because she doesn't trust me, but rather because she wants to be involved as a coequal partner in our relationship.

Then again, I'm not in a relationship a lot of people would consider "normal."

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #80 of 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Normal? What is normal? Who decides? 

MuppetFace, you are in a loving (Head-Fi orientated) relationship, enjoy.  Sometimes I would love to have your problems, but I've made my choices also.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #81 of 92

Quote:
Normal? What is normal? Who decides? 

MuppetFace, you are in a loving (Head-Fi orientated) relationship, enjoy.  Sometimes I would love to have your problems, but I've made my choices also.

Ah, yeah, the comment about my relationship not being "normal" to some people was meant to be tongue-in-cheek more than anything else. Since I was dispensing with advice, I added the comment as a light hearted disclaimer of sorts.

It seems as though certain audiophiles harbor something akin to a persecution complex when it comes to managing their hobby and a relationship. They'll act as if their partner is incapable of understanding and then proceed to lament the scrutinizing of their expenditures. I've been this way myself, but I eventually realized that, in my case at least, it was mostly misunderstanding on my part. Obviously every case is different, but you'd be surprised how many couples don't even TRY to understand one another.

As for my problems, don't be so quick to assume you want them. I could have chronic flatulence and lycanthropy for all you know. 
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #83 of 92
Newest purchase

Shes not so mad now that she got to sit on it, shes like its REALLY comfortable (the back seat is.. super comfy) its nice, til i cracked the throttle and it almost pulled a wheely, she got scared and said never again. bwahahhaha

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/243a77c4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/9387bcb1.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/de4132cc.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/20741f25.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/c7cc3d95.jpg

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #87 of 92
I have been wanting and planning to get a motorcycle once some more important purchases have been made but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it might be a better idea to wait until the kids are out on their own.  My wife doesn't want me to get a bike at all but I floated the idea of spending the same amount of money on sound equipment and she was almost happy to approve it.  So clearly I have found a great method to spend large sums of money on stuff.  Think of something your significant other would never want you to get (preferably something that could kill you as these seem to be the most effective, oh and make it expensive) and maintain that you will eventually get it.  Keep this up for a few months or more, causing a few fights here and there about it and eventually shift the cost away from the contentious item onto the hifi stuff.  Win!

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #89 of 92
Well you could always say to her that I dont mind spending money on my audio because when I get rid of it, I get half of my investment back.
When I get around to getting rid of you, you might take half of all my investments with you. Hopefully she has a good sense of humor.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #90 of 92

Quote:
Those "don't question how much I spend on audio gear, and I wont question how much you spend on shoes!" comments amuse me. But then, I've spent more money on audio gear and other assorted electronics than I've ever spent on clothes.

Personally, my girlfriend has been angry with me over stuff like purchases not so much because she "doesn't get it" but because of a lack of communication. It's not that I've spent money on a hobby her "female mind" can't comprehend, but rather because I made a large purchase without asking her about it. She would have probably agreed to let me spend the money, too. She's nice like that.

And yeah, I get a bit bummed because I, in turn, feel like she doesn't trust me. Like I'm not competent enough to make financial decisions on my own. Especially when it's my money.

But then I realize I'm an adult, not a child, and I've CHOSEN to enter into a relationship with this person. The money I make isn't just for me, but it's also for us as a couple. She contributes as well. When she wants to discuss purchases with me, I like to think it's not because she doesn't trust me, but rather because she wants to be involved as a coequal partner in our relationship.

I really like your take on the matter. 
smiley_thumb.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back