Girl's legs severed during Six Flags ride
Jun 23, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you feel safer in your car where you are in control

I don't know where you're driving, but where I drive, there are plenty of other people on the road, and I have no control over them. If you think that you are safe when you drive because you are in control, you are kidding yourself. There is always a risk when driving.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Well, I know what ride to avoid.

I would avoid the ride that everyone thinks is safe, rather than this one. This will probably be one of the safest rides due to this incident. I am sure those cables will be checked thoroughly from now on and replaced a lot more frequently than some of the other rides.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Agriculture Department is responsible for inspecting amusement park rides in Kentucky. "

Whhhhhhuuaaaatttt?

another weird one is Laser's (or "laserz" as DR.Evil puts it) is handled by the FDA, Food and Drug administration.

and to KYTguy are these wire ropes they use similar to the kind found on Garage door's?

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 62
Similar, kinda like a Fiat 500 is "like" a Saleen or McLaren...

The wire ropes used in Hoisting duty can be any size, according to the lifting being done...the ones I saw were either 1 inch or 1-1/4 thick, with breaking strength of around 50 tons for the smaller one, to about 80 tons for the larger one. They either are made around a fiber core, or more commonly around a wire center, with either six or seven lays. The wire you often see used in Garage doors is 1/8 to 5/16 inch stainless wire aircraft cable, like is used in control cables for small aircraft.

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sums how I feel perfectly. I also been driving for 17 yrs..Only 1-2 minor fender benders.. I'll take that over 17 yrs of rides each day..
biggrin.gif

Another concern of mine..

Still, statistically, rides are much safer. Compare the number of people who died last year in car accidents to the number of people who died in theme park related accidents, and you'll see that its very uncommon for rides to do this sort of damage on a regular basis. You might feel safer driving in a car, but in reality, you're actually much more vulnerable to injury or death than in a roller coaster or other ride, mostly because human error is taken out of the equation when you aren't in control of something.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, statistically, rides are much safer. Compare the number of people who died last year in car accidents to the number of people who died in theme park related accidents, and you'll see that its very uncommon for rides to do this sort of damage on a regular basis. You might feel safer driving in a car, but in reality, you're actually much more vulnerable to injury or death than in a roller coaster or other ride, mostly because human error is taken out of the equation when you aren't in control of something.

Whatever, but those bungie based Six Flag rides look like a greeting card to death as far as I'm concerned.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever, but those bungie based Six Flag rides look like a greeting card to death as far as I'm concerned.

That's your emotions taking over, and that's the whole point of a theme park right? To do things you would absolutely never do otherwise and have a thrill you can't get doing something like walking the dog. The point of 'it looks dangerous' is that you can conquer your fear and feel the adrenaline rush. What's the point of going on the ride if you're not going to enjoy it? But the thing you need to remember is that your emotional reaction to how a ride looks is not an objective view of how safe it is. People saying "I'm not going on that ride because it's too dangerous" are probably really thinking "I'm not going on that ride because I'm too afraid". And that's alright. But don't spread the rumours that theme park rides are inherently unsafe. Just take a look at the statistics.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

But the thing you need to remember is that your emotional reaction to how a ride looks is not an objective view of how safe it is.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. Someone who hates theme park rides and is SURE (in their mind) that they are unsafe, and someone who loves theme park rides, will be be experiencing the same objective level of safety (which is very high) when they ride.

When it comes right down to it, there are no logical reasons for fear or distrust of theme park rides, only emotional reasons manufactured in the mind of observer. It looks dangerous. This feels unsafe. Etc.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #54 of 62
I admit I don't get on rides because I'm afraid. Not sure if it's fear of the ride or fear of getting sick. Probably 50\50. I threw up on a ferris wheel when I was young so that pretty much ruined rides for me. I still have yet to go on a roller coaster with a loop. I admit I'm a wimp when it comes to rides and that is why I don't go to theme parks anymore. However, I will do the occasional stage dive without a bungee cord.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

"The Agriculture Department is responsible for inspecting amusement park rides in Kentucky. "

Whhhhhhuuaaaatttt?

Wasn't Napoleon Dynamite studying for this position in the movie?

Seriously I'm glad they reattached her feet.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by donor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait.. they re attached her feet?

I don't think it's known. The news I've seen of it has said that the girl underwent surgery, but spokespeople couldn't give details on any specifics of the surgery....since she's a minor, they're keeping all details confidential. So who knows
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back