Gilmore V2SE review - pretty long
May 15, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #16 of 41
Thump,

The amp does not have crossfeed. As NewSc2 stated, PinkFloyd sells a barebones crossfeed device. For something a little more full featured, check out the Corda Cross from Meier Audio.

May 15, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 41
Thanks for the review SE, it was a great read.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 41
great review.
I am waiting to see how is the difference between different souce.
May I ask what was the souce when you using RKVII?
I enjoyed this very much.

May 16, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Call me a dummy, but is that two volume controls, or 1 volume control, and 1 source selector?
What type of inputs, and outputs did you get?

Good eye crescendo. It is indeed one volume control and one input selector. The unit is in the standard form of three inputs and three outputs. The left knob is the DACT volume control.

Justin is working out a new addition that should prove to be incredible. He can add a DACT gain control to go along with the DACT volume control so that you would have more than 500 different combinations of volume controls to set. He is actually quite good at coming up with some out of the box ideas. I like it a lot. Imagine being able to so minutely adjust the volume of your cans using DACTs! These things are well worth the money as they track perfectly no matter what the volume setting is.

OBTW, I never call anyone a dummy. Never. The only stupid question is the one not asked since it is normally in several other people's heads anyway.

May 16, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
One question: how does the gilmore respond to changes in sources? Is it forgiving of a crappy source, or does it demand the very best?

OK. After listening to my el cheapo D-EJ721 PCDP and A'Bing it against the full-sized unit I own I can safelty say that the amp does wonderfully with either source. It is putting across what it is being feed without being overly critical of it. It is not harsh to my ears, and actually sounds quite nice. At times I forgot that it was teh PCDP I was listening to and not the big source. That's not to say they sounded equal, but that things are so bad that it creis out to be switched back to the big source.

Just to add another great caveat to the Gilmore design Justin had come up with: separation between inputs is simply stunning. I turned off the PCDP and switched to it's channel and turned the amp up all the way to max. Not a peep came through from the first input.
cool.gif

May 16, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #23 of 41
A dact gain control, wow! Thats whats great about a small manufacturer who will give creative solutions and personalize equipment; you end up with something truely unique.
cool.gif

May 16, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 41
Justin,

How soon will this DACT gain control be available? If someone places an order now will they be able to get this? I have bitched for years about not being able to get the right volume with multiple sources, but not now.
biggrin.gif
With all this flexibility I feel like I'm buying a full featured home theater receiver, but with super-quality power.
wink.gif
I swear other manufacturers should take lessons from you on how to build a power amp. This is one amp I'm gonna own.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #25 of 41
Cresendo, I emailed him and it is in the works but not finalized. Its a special linear design vs an audio taper dact. When he will have it officially available is not definate, but he says he can do it. I asked about cost and he hesitantly gave me an estimate of $65 over the standard v2 se price, but thats not definate, as I sort of put him on the spot. It will allow 576 different settings. You can bet, if available, its going on the one I have on order. .
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
great, well written review, ServinginEcuador. but what is a DACT volume control?

It is a stepped attenuator that uses steps of differing, yet perfectly matched resistors instead of the traditional wiper arm of a potentiometer. Pots are known to have problems with the volume being unmatched at various or all parts of the volume as you vary it. DACTs are simpy amazing little wonders that really allow you to hear more in the music than you thought possible.

Here's a better shot of the DACT in the lower right of this photo:

Maxguts001.jpg

May 16, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Justin,

How soon will this DACT gain control be available? If someone places an order now will they be able to get this? I have bitched for years about not being able to get the right volume with multiple sources, but not now.
biggrin.gif
With all this flexibility I feel like I'm buying a full featured home theater receiver, but with super-quality power.
wink.gif
I swear other manufacturers should take lessons from you on how to build a power amp. This is one amp I'm gonna own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Email Justin or go to his forum, sadly he's said he might not be posting to Head-Fi anytime soon.
frown.gif
confused.gif

May 16, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #30 of 41
Great review!
smily_headphones1.gif
Very tempting...

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back