Gilmore Lite + weak dac or Predator/Pico dac/amp
Jun 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering.

If I can get an amp that is like a gillmore lite desktop amp or something where the price doesn't exceed 400, will it provide me a better sound with a <$75 dac compared to lets say a predator dac/amp or pico dac/amp or d10 dac/amp?

I only listen to music on my laptop so a usb dac is a must but would it just be better for me to go and get something like a hotusb1 dac and then connect to a better amp like the gilmore lite? rather than use a dac/amp portable that is.

Let me know!

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 6
Assuming you've heard the glite and are happy with it; I'd go that route and pair it with something like a transit. As time passes the glite will continue to perform and you can pair it with a better DAC. Beats replacing both.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm
how would a d10->glite be vs a hot audio dac straight -> glite be?

Haven't used either as the Pico handles USB at work. I have a D1 that was nice in that the opamps can be switched but that takes a lot of time/effort to get it just right. Fortunately Hiflight has done a lot of work with them and if you listen to a few of his combinations you can extrapolate to your ears vs. his. It can be an expensive trip when you look back at it. The D10 has the same capabilities and apparently sounds better out of the box, based on other comments.

So, sure it will work, but it may break your budget.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
For less than the Pico and less than the G-Lite you could just get a Compass which will let you get a desktop DAC and desktop Amp.

Check out Peete's review. His tests of the Compass Amp showed it to have almost 3X the power of the Gilmore BTW while retaining detail and clarity.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5420063-post2019.html

Power Output:
32 Ohm load - 2W output max (not long term)
150 Ohm load - 600 mW (long term)
250 Ohm load - 350 mW (long term)
300 Ohm load - 300 mW (long term)
600 Ohm load - 150 mW (long term)

Should be more than enough for any headphone you decide to throw at it. Don't worry, I use the AD900 on the Compass and it's absolute black silence even at the highest volume

It always seems the Compass Amp is discounted by those who have not heard it. But pictures are not everything but gives you an idea that the Compass Amp was not an afterthought and just some simple headphone circuit thrown in there. I hope it helps you by considering another Amp. This is just to show the Amp section is an actual full sized Amp with the Gilmore for comparison. That entire section is just the Amp, the DAC is on a separate module, completely separate.

Untitled-6-1.jpg
500.jpg

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back