Gilmore: Lite vs V2-se vs GS1
Jul 28, 2005 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I have made the decision to upgrade my amp, and I'm wondering which of these go get. I through the GS1 in the title, but its pretty much out. Its just too far out of my price range to make it feasible, but some brief comparisons between it and the V2se would be great (I searched for 20 minutes, and could find no direct comparisons, or even vaguely indirect for that matter). Is the V2se used going to sound significantly better than the current Lite new? I had settled on a new light, but a used SE has caused me to take a second look. When searching forum posts it seems that every mention of the V2se disappeared the minute the GS1 came out. I've been gone from headfi for about 6 months, so I missed the transition, or I'd probably know a bit more about these 3 amps in relation to each other.

Thanks for any impressions,

Target

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 12
I owned two v2-se's and I now have the GS-1. I dont own the Lite but I got to audition the amp with stock elpac for a month or so and did a joint review with SeanH. The v2-se is a very good amp but the amp had a leaness and/ or slight treble emphasis that I personally could never fully embrace (except used as a preamp). When I heard the Lite I liked the Lite's more full bodied bass and richer tonal balance better immediately... and that never changed the entire time I spent with the Lite. I definitely prefer the Lite as a headphone amp.

The GS-1 is another story. I think the GS-1 is the best Headamp product and best sounding solid state amp I have yet to come across. Despite the opinions the GS-1 and Lite are similar designs I find the GS-1 is distinctly different.... and better.... to me. Now I have yet to hear a dynahi or the gilmore referance so they could be even better sounding. But the GS-1 is MY current gold standard for solid state sound.

So from my perspective.... if you cant afford the GS-1... the Lite is the best choice from a sound quality standpoint and by far the best choice from a dollar/ value perspective as a headamp. Now if your getting that v2-se used for a very good price and plan to use it as a preamp etc.... then the choice becomes less clear and depends on how much you will use the added features of the v2-se. But for headphone use only I think you would do well with the Lite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Somewhat echoing sacd lover's statements, the V2-SE had a leanness to the sound, especially in the bass. It was almost as if the bass was too tight and too fast. It was ashame since I loved the sound in every other aspect. It was bright and fast yet liquid and buttery smooth at the same time. I have owned a V2-SE and the previous generation Gilmore Lite. I thought the V2-SE outclassed the Lite in every way except the lows/bass. Not that the Lite's bass was extraordinary but it was closer to average. V2-SE has the added benefit of a stepped attenuator and preamp functions. Lite is compact and clean. Personally, I'd choose the V2-SE but both are very good amps, in my opinion. Keep in mind I've never heard the newest Lite and am not aware of any sonic improvements that may have been introduced with them.

Also in your price range, if you can find one, you might want to try the Gilmore V1. Better bass than the V2-SE. Can be had for cheaper than a new (or used) Lite and in my opinion sounds amazing for the price.

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Insomniac gave you a much better explanation of the v2-se sound so I would use his description when your pondering what to choose. Furthermore, I agree with his idea about looking up a v1. I liked the v1 better than the v2-se because of the bass issues and those amps can be had on the cheap if you can find one.

He had the old Lite and I heard the new one. Supposedly they are quite different, from what I have read here on head-fi, and that may account for our diverging opinions on the Lite.

I dont like a lean bass or a heavy bass at all.... the bass has to be just right. That flaw is much more bothersome to me.... so make sure you take my perspective into account with that caveat in mind.

I also use the senns and I very much liked the forward nature of the Lite waking up the senns without crossing over into brightness. The v2-se seemed to bright in the lower treble for my tastes which the Lite did not. Given my personal preferances I still prefer the new Lite over the v2-se. But as I said.... the v2-se is very good amp, and if you like the kind of sound character that insomniac very aptly described, the v2-se's are also excellent deals on the used market.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 12
I'll throw this in the mix. sacd lover likes the newer Lite over the V2SE. Most have said, like sacd lover, that they prefer the GS-1 over the Lite/Elpac. You would like to consider the GS-1 but it's out of your range.

How about finding the middle ground?

Consider the Lite with the Lite dedicated power supply for $500. I recently added the Lite dedicated power supply to my Lite and definitely like what it has done, bettering the already excellent Lite/Elpac and from what I can muster based on what I hear and what people are reporting in the GS-1 this combo likely comes very close to the GS-1. Just a thought.

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 12
One of the huge draws of the Lite is the option to get the PSU when I have more money. Right now my budget is tight (applying to law school is obscenely expensive), and even $500 is pushing things. I'm starting to lean towards the lite, though I possibly have a pretty good deal on the V2 (about 400~450). To give some more info I'll be using it extensively with both HD 580s, and SR225s. Will be upgrading source within a year to either a high end sound card off my computer, or a decent DAC (~$500 range). Probably listen to music about 40 hours per week while working, so I really want to like this amp, and have it hold me over for the next 4 years of being a poor senior, and then a poor law student. Then things should change
cool.gif

Target

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 12
I definitely hear ya about the budget. I have owned the V2 and I like the Lite/Elpac better. I think the Lite drives Sennheiser's better too. I can vouch for the Lite/225 synergy too.

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 12
i would get the Lite (with Elpac) and and an M-Audio Transit. at some point in the future you could get the dedicated power supply unit for the Lite and a nice external DAC. i have a PowerBook and, while it's pretty decent for a laptop, it's just not worth getting a nice amplifier unless you upgrade the source. the transit retails for about $75 and it will make a big difference in the overall sound quality, imo.

Jul 28, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 12
My opinions are slightly different than the others posting so far. Note I will only be discussing the stock V2-SE in this post since the upgraded one is out of the scope of my time and your budget.

I feel the stock V2-SE was and is a very neutral component, more so than the GS-1. Since I like neutral components this is a strong point for me. I feel the GS-1 is less neutral than the V2-SE and has somewhat emphasized mid and bottom frequencies, though it's not carried away, it's more a flavoring. So for the frequency response properties I would take the stock V2-SE over the GS-1. OTOH, one thing which the GS-1 has in spades over the stock V2-SE is smoothness. This is a very important characteristic since I feel it makes it a much better all arounder with a wide selection of headphones than the stock V2-SE, for instance the GS-1 with a set of Senns is a very nice combo while the stock V2-SE never really worked for me. When you're dealing with lower and mid-fi sources you tend to encounter a lack of bass in many of the components. The stock V2-SE wouldn't cover this up, it let it shine right through, no matter how much it hurt. OTOH the GS-1 with it's added mids/bass will make this a much more listenable combination. the GS-1 also has a more refined and polished look than the V2-SE does, though it will only act as a preamp for 2 devices instead of three as will the V2-SE.

Which is the best amp? My upgraded V2-SE!
tongue.gif
But if I were choosing between the GS-1 and the stock V2-SE and they were the same price I would most likely take the GS-1 for its smoothness and better synergy with a wider variety of sources though that is a decision I have not yet really considered (It's waiting for the GS-1 to be ready for a bit o' a comparison so I've been avoiding thinking about it).

Based on the design, I would think the Lite V2 is probably similar in many respects to the GS-1 and I would expect to a certain extent it will follow the behavior of the GS-1.

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 12
I must say, on the whole, that when I was posting initially I fully expected people to tell me that the V2se was better than the Lite. Considering that the original V2 was $850 I'm surprised. Having multiple inputs would be nice, and having 2 outputs would be great (the one extra I wish I could get on the Lite), but even at $400 vs $300, I think that based on what I'm hearing I'll go with a new Lite over the used V2. The upgradability to a dedicated PSU, and the form factor (I won't have a ton of space on my desk where I'd like to put it, and its absolutely gorgeous) are also big plusses. As to a sound card, I was thinking of switching my music over to my PC and getting an emu 1212. If I don't go that route I'll get the m audio transit very soon, as I know that my source stinks.

Target

Jul 28, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 12
To throw something in from left field, you should try and give the blueberry emotion+ a listen with your grados. They're $370, and give anything I've heard so far a run for their money. I'm currently listening with my PS1s, and it's a great combination. RS1 was as well...

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 12
This is getting into an area that I know little about (as of yet), but how much does a pre amp help a decent set of speakers? Right now I have a Bose set up (I bought it when I was 14, and my dad still thinks they make the best audio). On the whole its a decent setup if a little bloated in the bass. I have 2 crystal cubes, and one of the subs. They run through a good enough Kenwood receiver. Would using the V2 as a preamp for this setup make it any better? It might be worth it to go for the V2 if I can have both sets of cans plugged in, and the speakers as well. I would definitely say that I am heavily leaning towards the lite, and this could be the last hurrah of the V2.

Target

PS Thanks a TON for all the responses. You guys make this process MUCH easier, though I wouldn't be going through it if it weren't for Headfi. I believe that ignorance is bliss, and if I'd never found this place I'd probably be enjoying my music just as much and have a lot more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back