Gilmore lite to Millett Maxxed for Denon AH-d7000?
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
So yeah, I was browsing headfi last night (like an idiot) and started dreaming of new ways to blow my $ on new stuff. I'm starting to think a hybrid amp would be nice to have. I can keep the sweet bass of my d7000's and have nice sweet highs (right?). I found a website that has Millet maxxed kits for $176 and I'm trying to work up the courage to put one of these things together. Will this amp make my headphones sound better than the Gilmore lite? Thanks!

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So yeah, I was browsing headfi last night (like an idiot) and started dreaming of new ways to blow my $ on new stuff. I'm starting to think a hybrid amp would be nice to have. I can keep the sweet bass of my d7000's and have nice sweet highs (right?). I found a website that has Millet maxxed kits for $176 and I'm trying to work up the courage to put one of these things together. Will this amp make my headphones sound better than the Gilmore lite? Thanks!

There is definitely a difference between the Gilmore Lite and the Millett MAX. Whether that difference is what you're looking or or not, I can't say.

However, the more important question is about DIY - how experienced are you? I typically recommend the MAX as a good second DIY kit, not a first one. There are a few people who've put one together on their very first try without ever having built an electronics project before, but the emphasis is on "few." If this is your first foray into DIY, I highly recommend that you start out with a CMoy, first. Tangent's tutorial is still among the best on the web for starting out any electronics project:
How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier
You can also find many articles that Tangent has written regarding tools, tips, and even several videos on soldering.

Later on, you can refer to the collection of Millett MAX websites to give you a better idea of what's involved with building a Millett MAX or MiniMAX. I can't give you the direct link because that would violate my MOT status - just google "Millett MAX."
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply. I've never made an amp but I've done a little soldering. When I was young I helped my dad out in the physics department at the university for awhile and built a bunch of laser motion sensors. I had a finished sample which made it possible and they didn't ALL work when I was done but I got some soldering practice. So I'm not good at it but I can do easy stuff as long as there's nothing too tiny to work with. I could probably get pops to lend a hand if I asked nice as well. He did this stuff for a living way back when.

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 8
By the way, what I'm hoping to achieve with this amp is to improve the sort of slight "walkie talkie" type sound in crappy recordings. You know like...when you turn it up and it starts to lose smoothness because maybe it's mixed too loud or something? I also thought I read that tubes add sound stage which sounds nice too. If I'm off base here just say the word because I may be trying to trick myself into a pointless sidegrade I can't quite afford. The tubes just look so shiny and cool!
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I came across the millet mini max for sale pre built and supposedly slightly better. But, also more money. Maybe I should factor in the price of screw ups if I make it myself for a more accurate DIY price lol. There's also a used mini for $330 in the classifieds.....hmmmmmmmmm.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MiniMAX isn't "supposedly slightly better", if anything, it's "supposedly slightly worse".
tongue.gif
You aren't restricted by size on the Millet MAX and you can opt for different parts that don't fit the 1" height requirements of the MiniMAX.

Actually, it is better.
wink.gif
Until we come out with the MAX V2.0, the MiniMAX is hands down the better performer - quieter, more detail, etc. That's because the power supply has been designed and tweaked for less than 45uV ripple, which measures better than a TREAD or STEPS. It took a lot of work to get there, so I don't mind making that claim.

Now, if the MAX V2.0's power supply measures the same, then we might call it "more flexible" but the performance of the MiniMAX will not give anything up other than the height restriction. Besides, the height "restriction" is also a feature, when considering the custom-machined Beezar/Lansing case.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back