Gilmore Lite or Schitt Asgard
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Drawnbychrist

Head-Fier
Im looking to buy one of these two amps. Has anyone compared the two? Are they even on the same level?

I listen to alot of rock, metal, alternative, and some rap. I currently use HD580 with 600 grills and 650 cable. DAC will be a NuForce DAC2.  Will also be getting Grado 225 soon aswell.  

Based on my current equipment and future phones which would be the better amp for me? 

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks you for pointing out that review, not sure how i missed it, I have been away for a bit.  I agree about the source but at this point I need an amp.  My Penguin Caffeine is being used as a desktop amp...I love it, but I need a real desktop amp! 
Keep the replies and votes coming!

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I thought so, I just wanted to point out that without a very good DAC you get very little (if any) of the advantages that were mentioned in the review. In fact the GLite might be a bit too revealing of the flaws of a "basic" source.

Yeah, I know that I may be going out of order but I am at the point that I don't really know where to go next in my price range.  I have been considering a new audio card or a bridge of some sort (V-Link or USBridge).  Just not sure which is the best option, I simply don't have the budget to do it all at once .  However, that's why I posed the question like I did.  I only have $250 to spend right now and I know I want one of these two amps.  I figure I will get one now (or soon) and see where that takes me.  FWIW I use all flac files from my PC and the rest of the stuff I mentioned in the OP.  

Just curious, what comes before your Halide Design Bridge?  Any particular Audio Card or special source?  And most important, Does it work like advertised?  Its got a pretty nice price tag on it!

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 10
I would probably go for a GLite and later on for a DACPort LX or similar which should be considerably better than the Nuforce.
There will be a Gilmore X2 later on which might be even better and only one device but unfortunately it is way out of your price range.

The Halide Bridge is just a USB->coaxial converter device between the PC and the DAC which have weak or no USB input (older DACs like mine don't) and yes imho it does sound better than the hiface but if you are buying a new not so expensive dac you are much better off with one that has the USB input well sorted out, it is simpler as well.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 10

If you can get the glite with dps I hear it's quite an improvement over the glite wallwart edition
Quote:
I would probably go for a GLite and later on for a DACPort LX or similar which should be considerably better than the Nuforce.
There will be a Gilmore X2 later on which might be even better and only one device but unfortunately it is way out of your price range.

The Halide Bridge is just a USB->coaxial converter device between the PC and the DAC which have weak or no USB input (older DACs like mine don't) and yes imho it does sound better than the hiface but if you are buying a new not so expensive dac you are much better off with one that has the USB input well sorted out, it is simpler as well.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 10
The Gilmore Lite is a better amp, IMHO, but the Asgard is cheaper. Take your pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back