Gilmore Lite now $499?
Nov 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 46
No way it's worth $499... I preferred my LD MKIII over the Gilmore Lite.. with HD600/650

The GLite sounded weak and thin vs the cheaper MKIII.... but then again, I didn't have the DPS and also, I'm probably more of a tube guy.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch! Glite is a good amp, but for the price (even $400) you can do so much better nowadays.

I disagree. I have always felt that the Gilmore Lite had performed well beyond it's price point, $499 is the price it should have been years ago. It's only competition I'd say would be the Eddie Current EC/SS.

Also, I think that when considering the $600 and below price range it's better to invest in a solid-state amplifier. Cheap tube amps aren't designed with the power supply in mind.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was 399 like a week ago. I'm surprised he's charging so much with such long wait times.

Well doesn't this explain it all? If he has such a high demand for the amp charge more for it, slow down the demand while he catches up and on the $499 he does receive thats just extra money.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well doesn't this explain it all? If he has such a high demand for the amp charge more for it, slow down the demand while he catches up and on the $499 he does receive thats just extra money.

The problem with that is, he doesn't have high demand for the amp. If anything, it's demand for his other products which causes his backlog. There's no reason to have such a long lead time for a non custom product. In the past/present/future, the leading reason is that he doesn't stock chasis. He really needs to do so.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with that is, he doesn't have high demand for the amp. If anything, it's demand for his other products which causes his backlog. There's no reason to have such a long lead time for a non custom product.

Well maybe he doesn't have pre-built Lites and any order would require some real work which could be better spent elsewhere, no doubt he pockets more from custom products and realizes this. From a business point of view the only time you up the cost of your product is if it costs more to produce or if you have a backlog of work, if you are struggling for business you drop the price.

Take Sennheiser for instance; while they profit from the mass market with there new cheaper build headphones they excelled the price of the HD800 knowing full well audiophiles would pay the price.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well maybe he doesn't have pre-built Lites and any order would require some real work which could be better spent elsewhere, no doubt he pockets more from custom products and realizes this. From a business point of view the only time you up the cost of your product is if it costs more to produce or if you have a backlog of work, if you are struggling for business you drop the price.

One thing is, he doesn't really do custom work, unless you count adding SA's to GS-1s or case color choices as custom work. When I used the word custom I was thinking in terms of SP level customization (ie: many many combos that yield a singular product).

Regardless, the bigger issue with Headamp, is the dishonesty in lead times. It has been shown that his 3 week lead times is more often than not very inaccurate and that his 8 week lead time for the GS-1 and GS-X progress even further. Basically if you're not getting an amp that starts with the name Pico, you're in the Headamp Black hole.

I think most people, myself included, don't mind waiting for a product, but we need to be kept in the loop as to progress, especially if a published lead time can not be kept. Otherwise you do need to post an accurate lead time. Justin does neither of these things.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. I have always felt that the Gilmore Lite had performed well beyond it's price point, $499 is the price it should have been years ago. It's only competition I'd say would be the Eddie Current EC/SS.

You're talking so 2005ish.
smily_headphones1.gif
With the horde of new Chinese amps in the last few years, buying Glite doesn't make sense anymore. For example, take a look at Audio-GD C2C. Its priced cheaper than Glite but has the performance on the level of GS-1 (if not better).

Quote:

Also, I think that when considering the $600 and below price range it's better to invest in a solid-state amplifier. Cheap tube amps aren't designed with the power supply in mind.

I agree that at at low price ranges, SS has an edge but with tube amps like Woo Audio 6, that $600 bar has been lowered to $300 or so. Regardless, tube vs SS is purely preference.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

You're talking so 2005ish.
smily_headphones1.gif
With the horde of new Chinese amps in the last few years, buying Glite doesn't make sense anymore. For example, take a look at Audio-GD C2C. Its priced cheaper than Glite but has the performance on the level of GS-1 (if not better).

I haven't heard the Audio-GD C2C, but with the recent FOTM here I feel a cult of personality has gathered around Audio-GD components. Not to disregard the credibility of the owners of these things, but I think a certain level of skepticism should be taken when considering the opinions of others who claim a performance level on par with the GS-1.

Quote:

I agree that at at low price ranges, SS has an edge but with tube amps like Woo Audio 6, that $600 bar has been lowered to $300 or so. Regardless, tube vs SS is purely preference.

One example doesn't necessarily lower the bar. Finding a cheap transformer-coupled amplifier leaves you little to consider when trying to power low impedance headphones. What other tube amps besides the Woo Audio 6 can you suggest?

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 46
Lame. You are spending 200.00 more with no improvement? Why not spend an extra 50.00 and buy the GP amp. Arn is already upgrading a amp that was already a 'giant killer', 1000 range, to begain with. I guess the GS1000 is now a grand? And people hate being lied too, um mislead. If you aren't buying a Pico, expect to wait a century or two.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

I haven't heard the Audio-GD C2C, but with the recent FOTM here I feel a cult of personality has gathered around Audio-GD components. Not to disregard the credibility of the owners of these things, but I think a certain level of skepticism should be taken when considering the opinions of others who claim a performance level on par with the GS-1.

One example doesn't necessarily lower the bar. Finding a cheap transformer-coupled amplifier leaves you little to consider when trying to power low impedance headphones. What other tube amps besides the Woo Audio 6 can you suggest?

Then demo the Gold Point amp, cause it is on par with the GS1, and cost less too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back