Gilmore lite / Heed canamp: What is better?
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I had a look at the original circuit layout!

http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...lmore3_prj.htm

gilmore3_2.gif

I think TL071 is serving the functions of OPA548 in the schematic! So the dedicated PS for GLE only contains Stages prior to that including LM317? Interesting! Building a STEPS may be cheaper than power supply!

The Dynalo PSU is pretty huge and very powerful.

The TL071 is actually not in the PSU, it's in the actual amp and like a1rocketpilot said, it only acts as a DC servo by injecting DC into the output to zero out mismatched components. It has no audio function at all so it doesn't change the sound.

TzeYang: Thanks buddy, that sale lasted a whole of like 15 minutes before 3 people PM'd me and it was snatched up. Keep on the lookout for my Mall-Fi ad when it gets authorized for more deals
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #33 of 52
How long is the wait for this beauty? The site says 6 weeks! Is it more than that?

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

How long is the wait for this beauty? The site says 6 weeks! Is it more than that?

I was wondering the same thing, I've emailed them with no reply as yet.
frown.gif
I'm on a list to get a CanAmp, but now taking a look at the GL, I'm starting to reconsider.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Ordered a GLite with DPS on Feb 25. Still waiting
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPEos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered a GLite with DPS on Feb 25. Still waiting
frown.gif

i suspect you have a ways to go.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

I ordered it February 28, and still waiting. I emailed Justin exactly 6 weeks from my order date and he replied 2 days later:

"I have been waiting to receive more enclosures for the Gilmore Lite (the reason for the 6 week lead time), which I should have soon. Then I'll be able to finish your amp and send it out to you."

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #38 of 52
Justin emailed me yesterday saying that the wait time now is four weeks!

I hit the search button on GLE! It seems to have little emphasis on mids and lower trebles and upfront presentation. Some opinions indicate, it has lesser 3D soundstage compared to HEED!
I have just got MUSILAND M10 dac. It has same characters on SQ as those mentioned with GLE. I wonder, the two would not be a good pair in terms of synergy.
plainface.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #39 of 52
Deepends why the Gilmore Lite and the MUSILAND M10 dac has a less 3D-soundstage. I rembember that the Gilmore Lite pronounce the upper lows and mids. The reverbs are more in the lower mids, if they a recessed you hear not so much a 3D-soundstage.

But if you compare in with (for example) a Sennheiser HD650, it´s should pair well. ´Cause a Sennheiser HD650 have pronounce lower mids, that gives him a laid back instead of an upfront sound.

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #40 of 52
Musiland M10 has excellent soundstage though it was little thin out of box. My concern was, whether Musiland> GLite> combo add on to upper mids and and lower trebles both being upfront performers! I thought the combo will sound harsh even on laid back HD650!
I am waiting for part to mod Musiland. I will swap the OPAMP with LM4562! I am expecting a significant sonic change with the swapping. Will see how it goes!

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #42 of 52
really i would go with the gilmore lite. it has a more advanced topology, looks better, and while i haven't heard the canamp i doubt it could match the gilmore lite. the gilmore lite takes the characteristics of a headphone and brings them to the next level. grados take you from front row center to right by the drummer's kick drum. senns and akgs take you from mid-hall to an astral plane overlooking the venue. it is these characteristics that have convinced me that i should go gilmore with future purchases.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #43 of 52
I am getting GILMORE GS-1! But some doubt CANAMP can give a head on competition for GS-1 even. CANAMP has such good reputation here.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #44 of 52
<patrik>
black color has a more rounded, warmer sound;
silver has a quicker, edger sound, but maybe quicker than black
</patrik>

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

black color has a more rounded, warmer sound;
silver has a quicker, edger sound, but maybe quicker than black

So I will get rounded, warm sould with my Black GS-1!! Yes Sometimes I think, this headFI madness is so extreme, one might even take comments like that as reality. But I love it!!
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back