Gilmore Lite good for these cans?
Jul 17, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Lets put it this way. The Senn 650/AKG 701 put out 105dB@1V or about 90dB@250mV. Now since 90dB is hearing damage and sources put out 2V why would anyone need more than unity gain? Answer, if their source put out a weak output or the source material is recorded well below 0dB. Neither of which are concerns of mine.

Notches on a DACT for instance are 2dB in the usable range. A gain of 3x for instance will gain you 4 steps of increased volume while pushing your average listening notch down by 4. At unity gain my average listening step is 11 and on material recorded softly it can climb to 15. At that average level, its pretty loud and I regularily miss my wife talking to me. I still have another 9-13 steps to go before I cap out. Thats another 18dB or 6x gain from normal listening levels to cap. Think another 18dB on top of the 18dB already available is ever going to be needed
wink.gif

As for the headphones, I'm not understanding what you are trying to say about dB. Are you assuming your headphones are output devices? Are you mentioning that those values are maximum for the type of voltage levels given? You might want to clarify that in your next response. As for unity gain, it would be appropriate if you source has a high enough voltage range and your amp can supply a sufficient amount of current through to your headphones to reach that range. Depending on the amplifier as well, unity gain amps can cause additional issues with oscillation and instability (but that is subjective to the type of opamp or design that your dealing with).

As for the DACT, I'm assuming your talking about purely the stepped attenuator and not about an amplifier that you may incorporate with this resistor network. I am a little confused about your statement on gain since stepped attenuators are passive devices devoid of gain amplification. You might also want to clarify that statement.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 32
You got me curious about the Glite and the K701 (which I have been listening to and breaking in on a Micro/DM for maybe 20 hrs), so I jumped the gun and set up the Glite, Naim, and K701 -

Roll Karrin Allyson "In Blue" -

And Glite does the same thing it does with all my other cans - it brings out their tightest, deepest bass performance and dynamics with low and high extension and no rounding of edges. Based on this I'd say Glite/K701 with neutral to warm source and a slightly warm cable would be a good combo. I'm running Nordost interconnects and they are not forgiving - switching to Tributaries rounds the edges quite noticeably.

2c and worth as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back